• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republican Senators appear not to want part in a Constitutional crisis

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

joe1776

Republican Senators appear not to want part in a Constitutional crisis

You mean they want to add a conservative to gain a 6-3 advantage in the Supreme Court. Then if they can force a close election into the Court, they're willing to accept the result?

Well, why wouldn't they?

The Democrats can only win if they win by a wide margin. If it's close, the GOP will use the Supremes to steal it.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From the linked article ...
There's no question ... that all the people who had sworn to support the Constitution would assure that there would be a peaceful transition of power, including the president,” Romney said.
There is no question? Really? It is more in question than it has been since the Civil War!

Anyone who believes that "there is no question" that "the president" will "assure that there would be a peaceful transition of power" is delusional.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
But, as what's happened all too much is that when push comes to shove, they tend to fall in line behind Trump and McConnell.

IMO, the key is to watch McConnell, because if he were to go along with declaring a Biden victory a "fraud", I expect the vast majority of congressional Pubs to fall in line. The irony, as weird as this may sound, the survival of our democracy could end up in McConnell's hands. If he were to back up Trump, we may end up in civil war, and this isn't hyperbole on my part.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
But, as what's happened all too much is that when push comes to shove, they tend to fall in line behind Trump and McConnell.

IMO, the key is to watch McConnell, because if he were to go along with declaring a Biden victory a "fraud", I expect the vast majority of congressional Pubs to fall in line. The irony, as weird as this may sound, the survival of our democracy could end up in McConnell's hands. If he were to back up Trump, we may end up in civil war, and this isn't hyperbole on my part.

Good post.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
For the record, I'm not really taking sides in this particular thread. But I still thought it important to post. You see, if Republicans backpedal on these statements, this thread does serve as a record that they did indeed backpeddle.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If I recall, Trump has said before that he could refuse to leave.

This goes against the peaceful transition of power.

Do you have a quote? Not, saying you are wrong. What I have seen is that Trump didn't directly answer the question when it was put to him and that he may investigate if he feels voter fraud was involved. However, I expect this would all be fought out in the courts long before Biden, if he wins comes into office.

I don't understand what people think Trump is going to do, fall to the floor and throw a fit as he is dragged from the White House. I suspect a few might even enjoy watching this happen. I don't see where Trump has any power beyond contesting it in court.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Not, saying you are wrong. What I have seen is that Trump didn't directly answer the question when it was put to him and that he may investigate if he feels voter fraud was involved.

I think that's what we know. However, I think some of us are trying to be extra cautious and fill in the blanks to what he said, based on him already being impeached for other crimes and then we've also got him trying to downplay the integrity of the election process and what's even worse, tampering with the post office.

For all we know, he could just be saying all of this to try to troll the media because he doesn't like them. But some of us Americans take the integrity of elections as not something to joke about. So when one makes these comments, people are bound to draw conclusions and be cautious.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think that's what we know. However, I think some of us are trying to be extra cautious and fill in the blanks to what he said, based on him already being impeached for other crimes and then we've also got him trying to downplay the integrity of the election process and what's even worse, tampering with the post office.

For all we know, he could just be saying all of this to try to troll the media because he doesn't like them. But some of us Americans take the integrity of elections as not something to joke about. So when one makes these comments, people are bound to draw conclusions and be cautious.
Yes, I can't help but think this sort of wild behaviour will cost Trump more votes. I cannot imagine most US citizens want a country in which the elections are damaged and called into question by the president.

By the way I think Biden is wise not to join in the hullabaloo. I think Trump hopes to draw him into a shouting match about it.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Do you have a quote? Not, saying you are wrong. What I have seen is that Trump didn't directly answer the question when it was put to him and that he may investigate if he feels voter fraud was involved. However, I expect this would all be fought out in the courts long before Biden, if he wins comes into office.

I don't understand what people think Trump is going to do, fall to the floor and throw a fit as he is dragged from the White House. I suspect a few might even enjoy watching this happen. I don't see where Trump has any power beyond contesting it in court.
Read the Atlantic article coming in November.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The subhead to that piece says it all. As far as I'm concerned it's all mouth noise Kabuki. Mitch will use all the power at his disposal to put the Great Leader on the throne.

But the GOP isn't saying what they'll do if the president resists leaving office.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
For the record, I'm not really taking sides in this particular thread. But I still thought it important to post. You see, if Republicans backpedal on these statements, this thread does serve as a record that they did indeed backpeddle.

That's fine. I just think it's a non-issue. If I am wrong I am wrong. I just don't see it being anything to worry about yet.