• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Representative Ilhan Omar has been removed from the House Foreign Affairs Committee

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
We are speaking of a person who tweeted against Israel, and Twitter (which is a biased social platform) has never said anything.

PS: I would never prevent anyone from tweeting anything. But there are those who censor and don't want to be censored, evidently. If we create a climate of freedom of speech, the two political parties can dialogue. ;):)

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think she should be penalized for her anti-Semitic remarks, imo, but then what about those on the right who supported the Jan. 6th attempted elimination of the electoral vote that went for Biden?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I doubt this will have any tangible effects in the grand scheme of things. The pendulum also keeps swinging in Congress.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
We are speaking of a person who tweeted against Israel, and Twitter (which is a biased, partial social platform) has never said anything.
Back to the topic, I do understand such a motion.

Do you think tweeting or posting against a country should be punishable by social media platforms? If so, on what grounds?

If someone tweets against the citizens of a country, that's a different story, but tweeting against a country can be perfectly acceptable depending on wording and context.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ideologues from partisan sources of both parties will now spout talking points about this. But the bottom line will remain, she is off of the Committee.
Yeah, actually a lot of Dems don't like her anti-semitic garbage so she may not be defended as you might think.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think she should be penalized for her anti-Semitic remarks, imo, but then what about those on the right whBio supported the Jan. 6th attempted elimination of the electoral vote that went for Biden?

Gaetz is accurate here. And he's about as far from a liberal Democrat as one can get.

The Washington Post: Opinion | Matt Gaetz's surprise defense of Ilhan Omar gets a big thing right

Republicans want to punish Omar "because they don’t like what she has to say,” Gaetz said Monday. Though he remains undecided on whether to remove her, he correctly questioned the validity of doing this because “I don’t like your viewpoint.”

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I defend anyone's freedom of speech. Hers too.
But I would like to understand why she brought the 44th POTUS up, into this. I mean, sounds like an excusatio non petita.

Shaul

Premium Member
Yeah, actually a lot of Dems don't like her anti-semitic garbage so she may not be defended as you might think.
She was censured in the past by Democrat colleagues, that's true. On the other hand, when it came to her removal from the Committee the vote came out on party lines.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What has she said that is so "anti-semitic"
that she must get the boot? I don't recall
anything in the news.
She says the Israel has "hypnotized" the world and made an appeal to her god to reveal the truth to us. Resorted to greedy Jew stereotypes and then said she didn't know there are stereotypes about Jews and money.
That's just getting started. In a nutshell, lots of good, ole fashion Muslim hatred towards the Jews.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I defend anyone's freedom of speech. Hers too.
But I would like to understand why she brought the 44th POTUS up, into this. I mean, sounds like an excusatio non petita.

Maybe she should pontificate as to why the office of president is only open to native born American citizens.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
She says the Israel has "hypnotized" the world and made an appeal to her god to reveal the truth to us. Resorted to greedy Jew stereotypes and then said she didn't know there are stereotypes about Jews and money.
That's just getting started. In a nutshell, lots of good, ole fashion Muslim hatred towards the Jews.

The tweet where she prayed for people to know the "truth" is from 2012, long before she assumed office. I agree the stereotypes about greed are antisemitic, but why is saying that Israel or any other country has "hypnotized the world" antisemitic? Is it because of the stereotype that Jews run the world (or similar conspiracy theories)?