• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: Plan To Force God Into Public Schools Released

Flame

Beware
Oddly enough some of this stuff has been going on at my local school (less then 300 kids in the whole system) for years now. Of course near 99.99% of the town is some form of Christian denomination so most objectors are shut down fairly quick.

Yerda

Veteran Member
The article says it's from a private group, not the government. Sure... a private group can wish for that stuff all it wants.
This is from the Washington post:

The five-page document produced by the Council for National Policy calls for a “restoration of education in America” that would minimize the federal role, promote religious schools and home schooling and enshrine “historic Judeo-Christian principles” as a basis for instruction.

Names of the council’s members are closely held. But the Southern Poverty Law Center published a 2014 membership directory showing that Stephen K. Bannon — now chief White House strategist for President Trump — was a member and that Kellyanne Conway — now counselor to the president — served on the council’s executive committee.

That's two of the three people pulling Trump's strings.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
"as celebrations of our Judeo-Christian heritage."

I'm not surprised that people who try and rewrite US history would make further attempts to cement and indoctrinate on a federal level now that they have the power.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is from the Washington post:

The five-page document produced by the Council for National Policy calls for a “restoration of education in America” that would minimize the federal role, promote religious schools and home schooling and enshrine “historic Judeo-Christian principles” as a basis for instruction.

Names of the council’s members are closely held. But the Southern Poverty Law Center published a 2014 membership directory showing that Stephen K. Bannon — now chief White House strategist for President Trump — was a member and that Kellyanne Conway — now counselor to the president — served on the council’s executive committee.

That's two of the three people pulling Trump's strings.
What role did Bannon or Conway play in preparing the report?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Report: Plan To Force God Into Public Schools Released

Let's welcome theocracy to America.

Comments?

I doubt this would pass, although it's interesting to ponder the implications.

I also wonder why they always have to make the schools into these political football fields. Why do the poor kids have to suffer just because adults have to play these political games?

If they want to force God into some public arena, let them try in some other part of the public realm. Like maybe the Department of Motor Vehicles. It would still be just as unconstitutional, but still, why don't they think of something like that rather than constantly making the schools into their battleground?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't know. I can't see that it matters.
What I'm trying to get at: what reason would there be to expect this report to be used to shape actual public policy? You say that Bannon and Conway belong to this organization... well, is that enough reason to think that they either influenced the report or will be influenced by it?

Curious George

Veteran Member
What I'm trying to get at: what reason would there be to expect this report to be used to shape actual public policy? You say that Bannon and Conway belong to this organization... well, is that enough reason to think that they either influenced the report or will be influenced by it?
I noted the same thing you did when I read the link. But I do think that it is troubling that people in power have these connections and therefore this report, though private, is indicative of there beliefs and wants to some degree. If you belonged to a planned parenthood group, I would think that you supported that groups goals to some degree and that they didn't stray greatly from your personal opinions. That said, I wouldn't assume you would create policy on these beliefs, but it would merit closer watch if I was concerned with that particular policy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Something I'm noticing: People assume Conservative Christians read the First and interpret it as a separation of church and state. They do not. Rather, they twist things around, quote mine, and come out insisting the only limitations the First imposes on religion is that the state shall not infringe on their free practice thereof. (Much in a similar manner as to how Right-winged gun supporters have a habit of ignoring the "well regulated militia" part of the Second.) They believe America was established on Christian principles, that we should be governed by these principles, and yet, to the contrary of the expectations of some, though they read the 10 Commandments and Bill of Rights, they do not make the connection that the Bill of Rights does not mirror or have any similarities with the 10 Commandments, but yet they claim it does.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If religion is not allowed in schools, shouldn't atheism also not be allowed.
While an "atheist agenda" should not be pursued in public schools, in reality it isn't happening and there is no atheist agenda. It's not like Christianity which seeks converts and tells followers to go out and preach. And it's not that religion isn't allowed, religion isn't allowed to be sponsored or promoted by schools or by teachers while teaching. You can pray and read your Bible all you want. You just can't expect others to uphold and follow your views, and cannot expect the school to teach or promote your religion.

Yerda

Veteran Member
It's reason enough to take it seriously I think.

I'd be quite surprised in the event the report is genuine and the membership claims are genuine (btw, the article also claims both of Devos's parents are listed as members) that they didn't participate in the plan.

I could be misfiring. What's your take?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Doesn't this go against the whole separation of church and state thing?
I wouldn't worry.
From the aritcle.....
New Education Reform Report written for the Trump administration would put the Christian God in public schools.

An alarming report, written by a Christian conservative group with ties to Education Secretary Betsy Devos, plans for the promotion of Christianity in public schools and putting an end to the Department of Education.
A few reasons....
- Anyone can advocate for something....a report supposedly created for Trump doesn't mean he'll act upon it.
- Separation of church & state is pretty solid, withstanding many assaults upon it.
- The First Amendment
- We heathens can be pretty annoying if fundies try to push sky fairy mythology upon us.
- Fundies would never agree about which flavor of Xianity would be taught in school.

Last edited: