• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Report: North Korean hackers stepping up crypto attacks

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Report: North Korean hackers stepping up crypto attacks - UPI.com

SEOUL, Jan. 25 (UPI) -- North Korean hackers are displaying a "startup mentality" as they experiment with new methods to pull off cryptocurrency heists, a report by cybersecurity firm Proofpoint said Wednesday.

The Sunnyvale, Calif.-based firm said a group they identify as TA444, which overlaps with infamous hacker collective Lazarus, launched a massive wave of phishing attacks in December targeting the financial, education, government and healthcare sectors in the United States and Canada.

The group's emails used approaches that differed from tactics researchers had previously associated with them, including efforts to gain users' passwords and login information.

"This sprawling credential harvesting activity is a deviation from normal TA444 campaigns, which typically involve the direct deployment of malware," the report said.

The hackers used email marketing tools to help avoid phishing filters and created content such as job offers and salary adjustments to lure targets. They also relied on social media networking service LinkedIn to engage with victims before delivering links to malware, the researchers said.

Proofpoint said the December spam wave nearly doubled the volume of emails sent by the group for the entire year.

Greg Lesnewich, senior threat researcher at Proofpoint, said in an email that TA444 has a "startup mentality" and is "testing a variety of infection chains to help expand its revenue streams."

"This threat actor rapidly ideates new attack methods while embracing social media as part of their M.O.," he said. "TA444 spearheads North Korea's cashflow generation for the regime by bringing in launderable funds."

North Korea remains under heavy international sanctions and has increasingly turned to cybercrime in an effort to finance its illicit weapons program.

The Pyongyang-affiliated Lazarus Group was behind the stunning theft of more than $600 million in cryptocurrency from an online video game network in March, according to the FBI.

Meanwhile, Google makes me click on pictures of fire hydrants and traffic lights to prove I'm human.

I'm not sure how any of this works or how North Korean hackers (or any hackers from any country) are able to pull off these massive heists. In recent years, there have been major cyber attacks attributed to Russia and China. They're ostensibly trying to beef up security and so forth, but hackers somehow keep finding ways around whatever security is in place. It seems like a constant battle waged in cyberspace.

It reminds me of the old western trope where the fate of an entire town rests on the outcome of a gun battle between the villain and the good guy - both expert gunfighters, but the good guy is always just a little bit better. And the town is saved.

Is the internet doomed?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Meanwhile, Google makes me click on pictures of fire hydrants and traffic lights to prove I'm human.

I'm not sure how any of this works or how North Korean hackers (or any hackers from any country) are able to pull off these massive heists. In recent years, there have been major cyber attacks attributed to Russia and China. They're ostensibly trying to beef up security and so forth, but hackers somehow keep finding ways around whatever security is in place. It seems like a constant battle waged in cyberspace.

It reminds me of the old western trope where the fate of an entire town rests on the outcome of a gun battle between the villain and the good guy - both expert gunfighters, but the good guy is always just a little bit better. And the town is saved.

Is the internet doomed?
Sometimes I think the world would be better off without the internet.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
The good news for individuals is that these emails and texts are pretty obvious. Mis-spelled words, bad grammar and so on.

Some advice might help someone, and I urge others to add to this.

If there is a link to click on, hover the mouse over it and note the address that comes up. If it doesn't look like the organization they claim to be, don't click it.

If the email claims to be from a respectable organization, say Amazon, contact them directly.

Never enter id's and passwords online unless you are totally sure the web page is genuine.

Anyone that wants you to buy gift cards for them is definitely a scam.

I got a number of texts that seemed to be a "wrong number". Beware. If you reply, they will try to engage you in conversation and make friends with you. This "friendship" can go on for months before they offer you some kind of investment opportunity. If you send you them money that's the last you will hear from them.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Oh, there's a whole industry in India doing this. They employ bright young men and women who can't get jobs due to a surplus of people with degrees. If they have an Indian accent, be very suspicious.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Oh, there's a whole industry in India doing this. They employ bright young men and women who can't get jobs due to a surplus of people with degrees. If they have an Indian accent, be very suspicious.
Hellooo.... IRS calling.....

JIMMY12345

Is the internet doomed?
This is a very important post.In the next 1000 years a new Tsar will emerge like Putin.It could be anywhere.We need to be on on our guard not only specific states but everyone.For instance Russia has probably hacked the energy networks of USA,India,China .The Financial and banking systems as well as the rail and water.In the next 1000 years Russia could cripple any of these countries.All to easily.Its not tanks but cyber warfare that is the future.