• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Replace the Beaver?

tumblr_ljna5t6M4p1qj3frgo1_500.jpg

I just do not believe that it's so important to have a national animal in the first place. But the polar bear isn't bad either... it goes with the Canadian Olympics horrible cultural misappropriation of the Inukshuk and beats those strange Quatchi, Sumi, Miga and whatnot... even when they are cute.

My stuffed teddy bear that I had for such a long time was a polar bear, that I named Nipuna (after my ex-boyfriend when he refused to huggle me... Nipuna Jr. took that role :p ). So I'm more inclined towards a polar bear than the beaver I grew up with.

croak

Trickster
I just do not believe that it's so important to have a national animal in the first place. But the polar bear isn't bad either... it goes with the Canadian Olympics horrible cultural misappropriation of the Inukshuk and beats those strange Quatchi, Sumi, Miga and whatnot... even when they are cute.
Oh man, the Olympic mascots... but everyone forgets Mukmuk, the Vancouver Island marmot, an actual creature that didn't involve any misappropriation. Marmots should be BC's national animal!

Actually, the spirit bear's pretty awesome too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_provincial_and_territorial_symbols

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I sure hope that's the case. I wouldn't like to think it's because it has vaginal connotations... Our elected officials aren't 12...
Maybe it's that she's against the vaginal connotations of "beaver"; maybe it's that she's in favour of the gay connotations of "bear". :D

Alceste

Vagabond
Maybe it's that she's against the vaginal connotations of "beaver"; maybe it's that she's in favour of the gay connotations of "bear". :D

Lol. Maybe. It is a little worrying that our national animal could soon become a bear that we have driven to extinction due to our total lack of interest in controlling CO2 emissions. What would that say about Canada?

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Lol. Maybe. It is a little worrying that our national animal could soon become a bear that we have driven to extinction due to our total lack of interest in controlling CO2 emissions. What would that say about Canada?

This was my Wife's first comment on hearing this...
She also felt the polar bear's troubles alluded to the plight of the First Nations as well,
Speaking of Northern topics that don't get enough attention in the South.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So Canuckistan has a choice of being represented as a woman's hoo hah or large hairy gay man?
Neither work well. The choice should reflect the country's character....even if it's about what it should be, more than what it is.
Americastan has the eagle, representing grandeur, power, lethality, nobility, grace & carnivorous glee.
Libertarians have the penguin, representing ruggedness, snappy appearance, a love of seafood, & our fascination with nuns.
So in this spirit, I recommend Canuckistan adopt the poodle which was formerly a useful hunting dog, but is now a foppish clown.
It also has the advantage of providing a colorful new national uniform....
81138-4.jpg

Last edited:

Wirey

Fartist
BBC News - Canadian senator wants polar bear as new emblem

-facepalms-

What does she have against beavers?

Speaking as a Canadian, I am absolutely in love with beaver. In fact, the mighty beaver is the perfect Canadian symbol. Through hard work and perserverence, he changes a harsh, inhospitable wilderness into a placid, relaxing home where the brutal winter can be spent comfortably. Peaceful by nature, ferocious when aroused, a strong parent, and a polite neighbour, the beaver is as Canadian as you can get. And let's not forget, the beaver pelt was what opened up the interior of this great continent. Men from all over the world came here, trying to get some beaver (like Alceste and Mystic's teen years on a Saturday night).

A bear just ***** in the woods.