• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remnants of the big bang?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Homosexuality and bisexuality commonplace in thousands of animal species and may play key role in evolution, research finds

They argue a combination of same-sex sexual behaviours (SSBs) and different-sex sexual behaviours (DSBs) is an original condition for all sexually producing animals — and that these tendencies likely evolved in the earliest forms of sexual behaviour. The authors suggest not only that same-sex behaviours are often “not costly”, but can in fact be advantageous from a natural selection perspective because individuals are more likely to mate with more partners. Many species aren’t inherently monogamous but instead try to mate with more than one individual. In many species it can be difficult for individuals to even discern between different sexes. “So, if you’re too picky in targeting what you think is the opposite sex, you just mate with fewer individuals. On the other hand, if you’re less picky and engage in both SSB and DSB, you can mate with more individuals in general, including individuals of a different sex,” said co-author Max Lambert, a postdoctoral fellow at the University of California-Berkeley’s Departmental of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management.

Plausible? So, rather than being some possibly deviant behaviour evolving over time, a remnant of the big bang (more natural background behaviour dying out over time) - perhaps. :oops:

leov

Homosexuality and bisexuality commonplace in thousands of animal species and may play key role in evolution, research finds

They argue a combination of same-sex sexual behaviours (SSBs) and different-sex sexual behaviours (DSBs) is an original condition for all sexually producing animals — and that these tendencies likely evolved in the earliest forms of sexual behaviour. The authors suggest not only that same-sex behaviours are often “not costly”, but can in fact be advantageous from a natural selection perspective because individuals are more likely to mate with more partners. Many species aren’t inherently monogamous but instead try to mate with more than one individual. In many species it can be difficult for individuals to even discern between different sexes. “So, if you’re too picky in targeting what you think is the opposite sex, you just mate with fewer individuals. On the other hand, if you’re less picky and engage in both SSB and DSB, you can mate with more individuals in general, including individuals of a different sex,” said co-author Max Lambert, a postdoctoral fellow at the University of California-Berkeley’s Departmental of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management.

Plausible? So, rather than being some possibly deviant behaviour evolving over time, a remnant of the big bang (more natural background behaviour dying out over time) - perhaps. :oops:
Related news, fwiw.
'Shocking' spike of HPV-related cancer in younger men worries researchers

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I think sooner or later science is going to be the one to get rid of bigotry and homophobia in the world. I think religion will still exist, but perhaps better religious ideas balanced out with new revelations. That's not to say that old-time religious beliefs are all wrong. But people tend to call themselves followers of religion yet then not follow many of the principles anyway. Not all people, but I'm talking those who use religion to make a quick buck, etc, and many others.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Makes sense, animals from the fruit fly to the human engage in same sex behaviour and every one of us on this planet has evolved.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

But not the big bang except in a very distant way. There is a 10 billion year gap between the BB and first life on earth. But it seems natural for evolutionary behaviour though.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
But not the big bang except in a very distant way. There is a 10 billion year gap between the BB and first life on earth. But it seems natural for evolutionary behaviour though.

Drat :( humour failure reported - kind of knew I should have used 'little bangs'. :oops: