• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remember the Max? The cost of getting fired is disgustingly lucrative.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Additionally, if you already have 62 million to begin with, where's the pressure to actually do a good job and perform?

If you get fired, who cares? Your set for life either way, weither you perform well or not, so how is it even possible to find a high quality ceo or executive when these type of deals are made?

No wonder products and services have gone in a downhill serial.

Not a single CEO will give a royal damm weither he or she succeeds or not.

Paying more is really no guarantee of getting a better CEO. It's more a guarantee of getting someone to take the position. Sure there are good, successful CEOs that could probably get whatever they ask for but not enough to go around.

Pete in Panama

Making lots of money because you were fired is bull****. Amd even not fired, it's bull**** some make millions and billions while full time workers are in poverty and we have massive homelessness and starvation. That too is bull****.
--and I hope you and all your bull**** will be very happy.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
And yet, people will continue to steadfastly defend the idea that progress and innovation can only be driven by a profit motive.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Right now the median wage is more like $21/per hour. Half are making more, and it's because their labor is worth more.
I wish it were that easy.
For me it's more a matter of region. I move from poor Indiana to wealthy California and was able to join the middle class. I wasn't even able to do that in Indiana using my degree.
And how do we define who's labor is worth more? Is it the CEO who gets millions when they get fired, or the farmer who barely scraps by to feed us? Movie stars and rock icons, or teachers who educate the future generations who inherit the society created for them?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Exactly, so why would you go back to work at a high-pressure job if you didn't have to?

Maybe if someone offered you another 62 million?
I really doubt the pressures of that job are worse than the pressures of a social worker, a CNA, or a nurse.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ok, would you take a job as a nurse if you had 62 million?
That's not my line of work, and I don't have the qualifications so no.
But if I were given 62 million to be nurse, I'd be ok with it if my education came out of that 62 million.

Pete in Panama

For the range of salaries that CEOs actually make, CEO salary doesn't correlate with company performance.
You've done a study on this? GREAT! Pse tell me how you measured salary/performance and how big ur base sample was.

Either that or let's all understand that you made that up.

Pete in Panama

I wish it were that easy.
For me it's more a matter of region. I move from poor Indiana to wealthy California and was able to join the middle class. I wasn't even able to do that in Indiana using my degree.
And how do we define who's labor is worth more? Is it the CEO who gets millions when they get fired, or the farmer who barely scraps by to feed us? Movie stars and rock icons, or teachers who educate the future generations who inherit the society created for them?
We may be talking about two different things here. I'd thought we were talking about market forces where prices are determined by individual buyers/sellers, but it sounds like you're introducing TRUE value, sent down by what, some kind of deity and revealed solely unto you?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You've done a study on this? GREAT! Pse tell me how you measured salary/performance and how big ur base sample was.

Either that or let's all understand that you made that up.
:facepalm:

Maybe lose the attitude and read a bit.

There’s a lot of data to back up Sonnenfeld’s claim. A huge study in the Journal of Management in 2000 found that the size of a firm accounts for more than 40 percent of the variance between C.E.O. salaries, while firm’s performance accounts for less than 5 percent. A more recent study of over 400 large-cap U.S. firms found that higher C.E.O. pay was correlated with worse-than-median stock-market returns.

What Does a C.E.O. Actually Do? (Ep. 314) - Freakonomics.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That's not my line of work, and I don't have the qualifications so no.
But if I were given 62 million to be nurse, I'd be ok with it if my education came out of that 62 million.

Yes, but you'd already have the 62 million. You don't have to do anything at all. The money is already in your pocket.

So here you are, 62 million in the bank. Someone comes along and offers you $100,000 a year to work as a nurse. Would you take the job?

Pete in Panama

No, my follow human. Crimes are not committed only be my kind. And your kind can't subjectively agree on what good and bad is. So be nice and read the rules of this site.

I accept you as a follow human. Do you accept me as a fellow human?
Yikes --sounds like you're after me now! Then again, it may be that something's comming up & I can see now some other possibilities.

One is that you haven't thought through what ur saying so I'll give you time. Another is that you have a sense of right and wrong which just HAPPENS to agree w/ most other people --but you derived totally independantly and it has NOTHING to do w/ anyone else outside of the fact that it completely agrees.

You see where we're going here?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yikes --sounds like you're after me now! Then again, it may be that something's comming up & I can see now some other possibilities.

One is that you haven't thought through what ur saying so I'll give you time. Another is that you have a sense of right and wrong which just HAPPENS to agree w/ most other people --but you derived totally independantly and it has NOTHING to do w/ anyone else outside of the fact that it completely agrees.

You see where we're going here?

There is no we as it is not objective.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes, but you'd already have the 62 million. You don't have to do anything at all. The money is already in your pocket.

So here you are, 62 million in the bank. Someone comes along and offers you $100,000 a year to work as a nurse. Would you take the job?
I already told you, I'm don't have the training and background for it. I wouldn't take it and I can't ethically take it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We may be talking about two different things here. I'd thought we were talking about market forces where prices are determined by individual buyers/sellers, but it sounds like you're introducing TRUE value, sent down by what, some kind of deity and revealed solely unto you?
I don't believe in "invisible hands."

Pete in Panama

There is no we as it is not objective.
Sounds an awful like you're saying--
  1. You have a sense of right and wrong.
  2. It agrees w/ the forums guidelines.
  3. It agrees w/ most bodies of law.
  4. It's totally subjective & has nothing to do w/ lawmakers, forum admin., anyone else --totally subjective.
You've got to understand that this is a bit hard to swallow.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Ah I got it. All those prices worked out by all those teams of corporate negotiators working w/ legal teams, CFOs, stockholders in a free market, it's all bunk because of what's just come out of the Freakonomics blog. Who needs them when we have the TRUTH!
What a rich fantasy life you have. Apparently you don't need me here, since you seem more than capable of inventing things that I've said.

If you're interested in a reasonable conversation, then take a deep breath, tone it down, and try again.

... and if you aren't interested in a reasonable conversation, then I'm not interested in talking to you.