• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religiously Confused

Muffled

Jesus in me
We all agree that there is only one God? Most religions, if not all, will say yes?, I'm assuming.
God has no religion. All agree I'm sure?.
So what is religion then?
Can anyone help me with the/an answer please?
Thanks.

I believe God has no need of a religion but He certainly provides religions.

I believe religion is anything done on a regular basis but the most common use is doing regular things because God ordained them. For instance Christians observe the Lord's supper (eucharist) on a regular basis so it is part of their religion.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hinduism doesn't. There's still millions of polytheists in the world. Christians and Muslims did their best to wipe us out but we still exist, if in much smaller numbers. :(

Didn't atheists kill a bunch of you too? I'm feeling like you're discounting us on account of how generally good looking we are, but I don't think the Soviets treated the Mari too well (for example).

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Didn't atheists kill a bunch of you too? I'm feeling like you're discounting us on account of how generally good looking we are, but I don't think the Soviets treated the Mari too well (for example).
I would not be surprised. It's never talked about, though. I know nothing about it but I believe it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
We all agree that there is only one God?

Nope

Most religions, if not all, will say yes?, I'm assuming.

Nope

I don't see why a God cannot have religious beliefs? In theory at least (I mean...I'm an atheist)

Thanks.

A set of beliefs and rituals aimed at better self awareness and/or communication/worship.

GoodbyeDave

We all agree that there is only one God? Most religions, if not all, will say yes?
As many have already said, no.
It's the activity of humans relating themselves to the divine.

How about a Wiki page that lists no less than 3 dozen pagan trinities?
That page is rubbish, as some have protested in the Talk section. Organising Greek gods into triads of Maiden, Mother, and Crone? That's not Greek religion: it's straight out of Wicca!

Considering that no valid evidence has ever been presented in favour of god or gods it seems to me that belief in god(s) is a guess
Don't you just love people who use phrases like "no valid evidence" without telling us what constitutes valid evidence. As with most atheists, it probably means evidence that wouldn't contradict their own beliefs.

All the major religions come from the One God, even though their followers don't all know that.
Now that's something without valid evidence! You're telling me that you know my religion better than I do: that my experiences of more than one god are delusions. Isn't that a bit arrogant?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Now that's something without valid evidence! You're telling me that you know my religion better than I do: that my experiences of more than one god are delusions. Isn't that a bit arrogant?
No, I did not say I know your religion, I only know my own religion. I guess I should have prefaced my statement with "I believe." :oops:

But there is no more valid evidence of many gods than there is evidence of One God. It just makes more sense to me that there is only One God... Why would we need any more than one God? :confused:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As many have already said, no.

It's the activity of humans relating themselves to the divine.

That page is rubbish, as some have protested in the Talk section. Organising Greek gods into triads of Maiden, Mother, and Crone? That's not Greek religion: it's straight out of Wicca!

Don't you just love people who use phrases like "no valid evidence" without telling us what constitutes valid evidence. As with most atheists, it probably means evidence that wouldn't contradict their own beliefs.

Google "define evidence". The definition is quite specific, sorry if it contradicts your fantasy but that's life...

JayToka

Thank you all for the many comments. It's just that, Christian, Islam and Jewish religions all have the same God?, the God of Noah/Abraham? The same, yes? And Catholics are Christian? Same God again? Which amounts to most humans with the same God? Just followed in different ways by humans, depending on where they are and their upbringing? So is it just a case choosing one of the religions that fits in with how you want to worship God, if your in a Country with the freedom to be able to make a choice? And can you change to another religion if you don't like the way your current religion practices?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Thank you all for the many comments. It's just that, Christian, Islam and Jewish religions all have the same God?, the God of Noah/Abraham? The same, yes? And Catholics are Christian? Same God again? Which amounts to most humans with the same God? Just followed in different ways by humans, depending on where they are and their upbringing? So is it just a case choosing one of the religions that fits in with how you want to worship God, if your in a Country with the freedom to be able to make a choice? And can you change to another religion if you don't like the way your current religion practices?
I do not know if this post is to me, but I believe there is One God and many religions that were revealed by that One God at various times throughout history.... These religions differ in their message and their social teachings and laws but they all contain the same spiritual truths which are eternal...

According to my religion, the Baha'i Faith, in the future there will be only one religion, but that is a long way off...

Meanwhile, God wants us to adhere to the religion that is most current because it contains the message for the current day and the teachings and laws that are needed in the current time.

kjw47

We all agree that there is only one God? Most religions, if not all, will say yes?, I'm assuming.
Thanks.

Yes the God of Israel-OT = a single being God named-YHWH(Jehovah)--
He sent his son-Jesus--Who assures he will appoint teachers on earth, here in these last days( Matt 24:45-47) as well in revelation speaks to 7 congregations--he is with one single religion--Not Judaism--They are cut off( Matt 23:37-39) Not the religion that came out of Rome. Jesus' real teachers teach-Every utterance from God= OT--NT-- over and over, year after year.

kjw47

No they do not--Fact--From Moses on up until this very day-- Israelites taught served and worshipped a single being God named-YHWH(Jehovah) taught to Matthew, Mark, Peter, And Jesus his first 30 years attending the places of worship. The God they taught as well-John 20:17, Rev 3:12--2Cor 1:3, 1Cor 8:6, 1Cor 15: 24-28--1Peter 1:3-- Rev 1:6-- basically the #1 teaching in the NT in every translation-- Jesus has a God-his Father.
No trinity exists. God wants his name known and used--just not in vain.

Bird123

Thanks.

Religion is mankind's attempt to understand God. Since religion is an invention of mankind, it reflects mankind in so many ways. That is why religion values so many of the petty things mankind holds so dear such as blaming, judging, condemning, hating, coercing, intimidating, controlling, ruling and let's not forget they think they know it all. Of course, it can reflect what deep down everyone knows the answer is: Unconditional Love.

Still, religion is an important part of the system. How many lessons are learned around religion? Religion is a catalyst that brings so many of mankind's problems to the surface so they can be dealt with. After all, if you think you have God's blessing, you won't hold anything back.

In time, through our many lessons, we will all Understand. At this point religion will become obsolete.

GoodbyeDave

Google "define evidence".
I don't need to: I have the OED.
"Evidence. Facts or testimony in support of a conclusion"
"Valid. Effective, having value"
If you are going to say that evidence is not valid, you need to say why — at least, if you want to be taken seriously.

… sorry if it contradicts your fantasy but that's life...
Ah, the classic atheist's tactic: when all else fails, be rude.

JayToka

I do not know if this post is to me, but I believe there is One God and many religions that were revealed by that One God at various times throughout history.... These religions differ in their message and their social teachings and laws but they all contain the same spiritual truths which are eternal...

According to my religion, the Baha'i Faith, in the future there will be only one religion, but that is a long way off...

Meanwhile, God wants us to adhere to the religion that is most current because it contains the message for the current day and the teachings and laws that are needed in the current time.

The post was to any and all that had a view. Not heard of your religion before. There in lies my problem. So many religions. Too many. They all seem to have the same core values, just different ways of expressing them. Still most confusing. Thanks for your view.

JayToka

No they do not--Fact--From Moses on up until this very day-- Israelites taught served and worshipped a single being God named-YHWH(Jehovah) taught to Matthew, Mark, Peter, And Jesus his first 30 years attending the places of worship. The God they taught as well-John 20:17, Rev 3:12--2Cor 1:3, 1Cor 8:6, 1Cor 15: 24-28--1Peter 1:3-- Rev 1:6-- basically the #1 teaching in the NT in every translation-- Jesus has a God-his Father.
No trinity exists. God wants his name known and used--just not in vain.

But isn't Abraham the prophet of Christians, Muslims and Jews?

JayToka

Yes the God of Israel-OT = a single being God named-YHWH(Jehovah)--
He sent his son-Jesus--Who assures he will appoint teachers on earth, here in these last days( Matt 24:45-47) as well in revelation speaks to 7 congregations--he is with one single religion--Not Judaism--They are cut off( Matt 23:37-39) Not the religion that came out of Rome. Jesus' real teachers teach-Every utterance from God= OT--NT-- over and over, year after year.

Forgive me, but how do you know this for fact?