• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious views on creating artificial intelligence

idav

Being
Premium Member
Why?
I mean, are hunger, lust and or other things what define sapience?

It seems that is what people are saying because of subjective experience and emotions is what gives us a sense of being. It is more the collective experience that gives us a sense off sapience. Without it we would be oblivious. It is not necessary to have a particular way of sensing the world but any type of awareness we have or don't have will affect how we see and shape our world.

MD

qualiaphile
Cognitive scientists doesn't study the problem of qualia and some cognitive scientists with in the community think that they should be taken seriously and there is nothing in the chemistry of the Brain which can generate qualia or subjective experiences.

Cognitive scientists don't. But neuroscientists do. VS Ramachandran, Koch, Tononi, Hameroff, all are trying to understand qualia.

What is sweetness? What is redness?

Now where in all this the processing of "sweetness" takes place? Why the hell I have to experience sweetness? Why doesn't it all go away in the dark as David Chalmers says?

Some neuroscientific theories of consciousness state that qualia are a part of the universe, another third substance after matter and energy. That is my take on it as well. And this is why I think an AI would have qualia, because such substances are universal.

This is the reason even if you duplicate the whole brain without solving or knowing what qualia is a machine won't be able to have subjective experiences. What it is like to be a machine?

Animals have qualia. I think plants do as well. I would even argue that bacteria do. If so then all matter has qualia, and as such a machine would as well.

Mind and Brain are two different things and in fact brain and physical objects don't exist independent of this metaphysical mind. So I am a sort of Idealist. That's what I mean when I talk of Substance dualism. This is the view of eastern religions.

Neutral monism is more in line with idealism than substance dualism is. I am a neutral monist because I think that matter and energy and qualia are all derived from a universal consciousness aka God. But that's a mystical position.

Btw here's another discussion on AI in the general intelligence forum http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/general-discussion/136978-artificial-intelligence-6.html

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
We would never be able to know whether the robot is self aware or not in what comes to perception.

In other words, we wouldnt know if we are making a philosophical zombie machine

idav

Being
Premium Member
We would never be able to know whether the robot is self aware or not in what comes to perception.

In other words, we wouldnt know if we are making a philosophical zombie machine

Asking someone isn't enough? I'd figure that answering questions about an environment is an indication that they are aware of their environment.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
It seems that is what people are saying because of subjective experience and emotions is what gives us a sense of being. It is more the collective experience that gives us a sense off sapience. Without it we would be oblivious. It is not necessary to have a particular way of sensing the world but any type of awareness we have or don't have will affect how we see and shape our world.
Ah.
Thank you for the clarification.