• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Trauma Syndrome

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
"Religious Trauma Syndrome is the condition experienced by people who are struggling with leaving an authoritarian, dogmatic religion and coping with the damage of indoctrination. They may be going through the shattering of a personally meaningful faith and/or breaking away from a controlling community and lifestyle. RTS is a function of both the chronic abuses of harmful religion and the impact of severing one’s connection with one’s faith. It can be compared to a combination of PTSD and Complex PTSD (C-PTSD)."

It's weird to think of myself as experiencing any kind of trauma like that, since when I think of PTSD I think of physical, sexual, or emotional trauma. What trauma is there in going to church and reading the bible?

But then I think about the fact that my life has not developed in a normal way by any means. Things such as self confidence, knowledge in basic concepts, critical thinking skills, and knowing the way the greater world works have all suffered due to my religious upbringing. I've had to spend many years working on myself to try deconstructing and repairing a lot of the damage this control (both from myself and from my community) has done to me, and the work is still not over yet. Parts of it will probably stick with me until the day I die.

Now, keep in mind that I don't believe all religions or religious practices are harmful. Many folks are able to experience their religious lifestyles in healthy and happy ways.

With all that said, I wanted to discuss RTS in general. Have you ever experienced this? Is it even a valid or legitimate form of trauma? Maybe you have some stories you'd like to share. Tell me your thoughts!

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
"Religious Trauma Syndrome is the condition experienced by people who are struggling with leaving an authoritarian, dogmatic religion and coping with the damage of indoctrination. They may be going through the shattering of a personally meaningful faith and/or breaking away from a controlling community and lifestyle. RTS is a function of both the chronic abuses of harmful religion and the impact of severing one’s connection with one’s faith. It can be compared to a combination of PTSD and Complex PTSD (C-PTSD)."

It's weird to think of myself as experiencing any kind of trauma like that, since when I think of PTSD I think of physical, sexual, or emotional trauma. What trauma is there in going to church and reading the bible?

But then I think about the fact that my life has not developed in a normal way by any means. Things such as self confidence, knowledge in basic concepts, critical thinking skills, and knowing the way the greater world works have all suffered due to my religious upbringing. I've had to spend many years working on myself to try deconstructing and repairing a lot of the damage this control (both from myself and from my community) has done to me, and the work is still not over yet. Parts of it will probably stick with me until the day I die.

Now, keep in mind that I don't believe all religions or religious practices are harmful. Many folks are able to experience their religious lifestyles in healthy and happy ways.

With all that said, I wanted to discuss RTS in general. Have you ever experienced this? Is it even a valid or legitimate form of trauma? Maybe you have some stories you'd like to share. Tell me your thoughts!

I raised my first kid in my religion then (atheism), thinking I was doing the right thing. I am ashamed of that now for a couple of reasons.

I am not sure traumatized is the right word but it was harmful to her mental health. It lead to depression and suicidal thoughts as a teenager. Fortunately she is OK now (and has kids of her own).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Maybe disappointment settled with the realization what I believed in for several decades was complete bollaks. That created some stress in terms of deprogramming.

Shortly afterwards, it felt more like a religious liberation cure than a syndrome.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I raised my first kid in my religion then (atheism), thinking I was doing the right thing. I am ashamed of that now for a couple of reasons.

I am not sure traumatized is the right word but it was harmful to her mental health. It lead to depression and suicidal thoughts as a teenager. Fortunately she is OK now (and has kids of her own).

Hmm... It'd be interesting to know how one practices atheism religiously. I would imagine it would be very militant and constraining.

Has she talked with you about how this upbringing has impacted her negatively?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Trigger warning:suicide

I almost killed myself cuz I believed being lgbt according to religion was wrong and no matter how hard I tried to change I couldn't

Last edited:

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Maybe disappointment settled with the realization what I believed in for several decades was complete bollaks. That created some stress in terms of deprogramming.

Shortly afterwards, it felt more like a religious liberation cure than a syndrome.

Hmmm... I would definitely agree that the deconstruction process was liberating for me, too! It wasn't quick or easy, though... It's taken 8 years so far, and I'm still having to pull out the programming as soon as I recognize it. That happens very rarely now, thankfully. I think I've gotten most of it. :)

Are you still deprogramming, or have you gotten all of it out?

Twilight Hue

Hmmm... I would definitely agree that the deconstruction process was liberating for me, too! It wasn't quick or easy, though... It's taken 8 years so far, and I'm still having to pull out the programming as soon as I recognize it. That happens very rarely now, thankfully. I think I've gotten most of it. :)

Are you still deprogramming, or have you gotten all of it out?
I'm all out, no side effects. :0]

I just decided if I have doubt or stress, I'd just stick with my religion untill I simply couldn't do it anymore. I eventually got to that point and it was then easy to walk away from it and put it all down.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I'm all out, no side effects. :0]

I just decided if I have doubt or stress, I'd just stick with my religion untill I simply couldn't do it anymore. I eventually got to that point and it was then easy to walk away from it and put it all down.

Ahhh I see. For me, it was something that I was raised with (even my whole education and perception of the world by extension), and so when things started to crumble, they crashed down hard.

Ah well; it is what it is, and I've adapted. You can't change the past, but you can work towards a better future. :)

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Trigger warning:suicide

I almost killed myself cuz I believed being lgbt according to religion was wrong and no matter how hard I tried to change I couldn't

Do you still feel it's wrong? I hope you've been able to be more at peace with yourself.

Pete in Panama

Hmm... It'd be interesting to know how one practices atheism religiously. I would imagine it would be very militant and constraining.

Has she talked with you about how this upbringing has impacted her negatively?
There are atheists who are very dogmatic. Usually if you try to flee a nation where the state religion is atheism you can get shot.

Twilight Hue

Ahhh I see. For me, it was something that I was raised with (even my whole education and perception of the world by extension), and so when things started to crumble, they crashed down hard.

Ah well; it is what it is, and I've adapted. You can't change the past, but you can work towards a better future. :)
It's why I don't encourage people to quit too fast.

It's why I don't encourage people to quit too fast and stay for the time being.

Sometimes you need deprogramming and a cleared/free mind clear of any mental grip.

In other words, moving on with complete certainty and conviction.