• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Tolerance -- Too much of a good thing?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
BruceDLimber said:
Greetings!

What you overlook is that virtually ALL of the God-sent Divine Messengers have made this same "only way" claim, indicating that it is through Them that humanity can come to God! (I can quote you this same statement, in similar wordings, from the scriptures of many religions.)

And as we Baha'is see it, this is indeed true: truth is one, and all these various religions are in fact successive stages in a single evolving faith, the Faith of God!

(And indeed, the spiritual teachings of ALL these great religions are in fact far more similar than most people realize! Again, quotes upon request....)

Peace,

Bruce
Bruce,

Perhaps you misunderstood. I was actually playing the devil's advocate, and my reference to "false gods" was made in an effort to generate discussion, not to condemn those not of my faith. I am actually very proud to be a member of a church that I believe to be among the most tolerant of all Christian denominations. But I have been told on numerous occasions that our humanitarian efforts are actually "non-Christian" when they cross the lines I have outlined here. I'm glad to see that most people on this forum do not share that self-righteous point of view.

Kathryn

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Fluffy said:
That is pity :(. I dearly hope that such a prohibition wasn't driven by the need to distance itself from more extreme groups and make itself seem more acceptable in the eyes of the general public.
Hi, Fluffy.

Oh, it definitely wasn't. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints prohibited the practice of plural marriage one hundred and fifteen years ago. It was in response to the prohibition that many of the splinter groups formed (though some had broken off earlier, for other reasons). Acceptance by the general public has, however, never really provided much impetus for us to conform to orthodox expectations -- which is probably why we're not particularly acceptable in the eyes of the general public. :rolleyes: Understandably, we don't like the idea of being linked with the extremist groups. We don't consider them to be members of our Church any more than we consider Presbyterians or Lutherans to be members of our Church.

Kathryn

DreamQuickBook

michel said:
I don't think "It takes some kind of arrogance to be so presumptuous as to believe you know what Jesus would do." - The way I see it, just think of the best possible motive, the most loving thing, the kindest act - that is what I think Jesus would do.
icon12.gif

Maybe that's just what you would do...?

Melody

Katzpur said:
Along with members of other Christian churches, our Church donated hygiene kits, clothing, medical supplies, etc. But this article went on to say that, included in our donation, were 700 copies of the Koran, which were delivered to mosques in the area.
By this act, it appears that your church and all those who were in on this gift of "Korans" has stated that you do not believe salvation is only found through Christ since you've just handed out books that contradicts this belief.

Most of the churches I've attended send relief help but would draw the line at promoting what their faith says is a false religion.

I don't see this as intolerance but rather living up to your faith. Political correctness is going to be the "death" of many who say one thing and then water down that belief so they don't look to be intolerant.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jocose Satan said:
Maybe that's just what you would do...?
It is, but surely we can all have an idea of what Jesus is like - if we are trying to live by his example, I can't understand your problem with understanding that point.:confused:

DreamQuickBook

michel said:
It is, but surely we can all have an idea of what Jesus is like - if we are trying to live by his example, I can't understand your problem with understanding that point.:confused:

lol I just don't think that anyone knows what Jesus Christ would do; but that is me. I'm not arguing, just offering other, ummm, possibilities.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Melody said:
By this act, it appears that your church and all those who were in on this gift of "Korans" has stated that you do not believe salvation is only found through Christ since you've just handed out books that contradicts this belief.
We alone are the "guilty" party. I can see that this is how our gesture might appear to you, Melody. I don't believe it appeared this way to God, though. We certainly do believe that salvation is found only through Christ, but sometimes people who do not have a knowledge of Christ must look elsewhere for comfort in their hour of need. These victims needed to know that God loved them and cared about them. They needed spiritual sustenance as well as physical sustenance. People don't always come to a knowledge of Christ in the same way.

Most of the churches I've attended send relief help but would draw the line at promoting what their faith says is a false religion.
I don't see offering spiritual solice as promoting false doctrine, but then I think we're just coming at this from different angles.

I don't see this as intolerance but rather living up to your faith. Political correctness is going to be the "death" of many who say one thing and then water down that belief so they don't look to be intolerant.
There is nothing "political" about charity and the pure love of Christ. Believe me, if we're going to talk about being politically correct, you can eliminate my church from the discussion entirely. We do nothing out of political correctness!

Kathryn

BruceDLimber

Greetings.

Melody said:
Only in your opinion.

Once again: Some of us--including EVERY Baha'i world wide, accept BOTH the Bible and the Qur'an and consider them, properly viewed, to present no mutual contradiction whatever!

Peace,

Bruce

Melody

BruceDLimber said:
Greetings.

Only in your opinion.

Once again: Some of us--including EVERY Baha'i world wide, accept BOTH the Bible and the Qur'an and consider them, properly viewed, to present no mutual contradiction whatever!
In which case, there's no problem with your churches handing out Quran's. However, if a christian church believes that Christ is the only way to salvation and hands out Qurans, it could be said that they are promoting false gods.

katzpur said:
We certainly do believe that salvation is found only through Christ, but sometimes people who do not have a knowledge of Christ must look elsewhere for comfort in their hour of need.
I honestly don't know how to respond to this. It...baffles me...that anyone who has chosen Christ would feel in any way comfortable at promoting a false belief just so people would feel good. Aren't our souls more important than that?

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
Melody said:
promoting a false belief just so people would feel good.
It baffles me that someone would presume to have all the answers. Statistically, Christianity is no more probable as the one "true faith" as is the Ancient Egyptian religious belief system.

Jocose Satan said:
It takes some kind of arrogance to be so presumptuous as to believe you know what Jesus would do. I hate the phrase. That's just people's way of not really thinking about things for themselves. Gezz.
You take the phrase too literally. The phrase is symbolic of performing the uttermost good, which is, in actuality, what Jesus seems to have done throughout his life (only the bible to go of here).

Jocose Satan said:
We don't need to tolerate other people's religions. We don't have to be intolerant either. For the most part, we can do the decent thing, and mind our own business.
I think if we all minded our own business this world would be alot more boring. :)

Of course, there is a line between inquisition and intrusion. If you just want to mind your own business, then why join a forum? Why not liveby example and simply live in complete solipsism.

Jocose Satan said:
lol I just don't think that anyone knows what Jesus Christ would do; but that is me. I'm not arguing, just offering other, ummm, possibilities.
I don't think you are arguing either, but you certainly aren't "minding your own business".

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Melody said:
I honestly don't know how to respond to this. It...baffles me...that anyone who has chosen Christ would feel in any way comfortable at promoting a false belief just so people would feel good. Aren't our souls more important than that?
Well, I guess all I can say is that it's good it wasn't your church that offered the Korans. As box after box of Korans were unloaded into mosques, people came rushing into the streets, crying, "We have received another donation from the Jesus Church!" The Muslim people love God just as the Christian people do. In my opinion, showing them by example how Christians respond to those in need is a good way to promote the Savior's gospel. And I most definitely don't see our gift as jeopardizing anybody's soul!

Melody

KirbyFan101 said:
It baffles me that someone would presume to have all the answers. Statistically, Christianity is no more probable as the one "true faith" as is the Ancient Egyptian religious belief system.
That is your belief and that is fine. It's not mine. As a christian, I would have a very big problem with my church if they handed out Qurans since the Quran promotes a believe that is not Christian.

Melody

Katzpur said:
Well, I guess all I can say is that it's good it wasn't your church that offered the Korans. As box after box of Korans were unloaded into mosques, people came rushing into the streets, crying, "We have received another donation from the Jesus Church!" The Muslim people love God just as the Christian people do. In my opinion, showing them by example how Christians respond to those in need is a good way to promote the Savior's gospel. And I most definitely don't see our gift as jeopardizing anybody's soul!
Helping them with aid (food, medical care, etc.) is a good way of promoting the Saviour's gospel. Handing them a book that teaches Christian belief is a lie (since they teach Jesus is not God) does not seem a logical way to promote our Saviour's gospel.

I have no doubt the muslim people love God, but christians believe that salvation is attained only through Christ. By that belief, loving God isn't going to be enough.

I don't see the logic but do see a lot of compromising of faith, but then I'm just looking at this from my christian perspective.

Sabio

Melody said:
That is your belief and that is fine. It's not mine. As a christian, I would have a very big problem with my church if they handed out Qurans since the Quran promotes a believe that is not Christian.
Melody,

I support what you are saying. If you believe that the only way to God is through Jesus, then why detour someone to Mohammed?

Romans 14:13
Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

Sabio

DreamQuickBook

Melody said:

Well, even if Christianity isn't the one true religion (which I'm quite certain that it is not), WHY in GOD'S name would you teach anything other than Christianity in a Christian Church? Christians should teach Christian teachings, Hindus should teach Hindu teaching and so forth.

I certainly wouldn't want to go to a gathering of various members of Left Hand Paths , only to have them teach some idealistic or pacifist theological message. That'd be silly.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Melody said:
erm, islam is worshipping the same God as christians - islam accepts jesus christ as a prophet, and his followers (primerily the writters of the gospels) also, they just dont see him as being the only way to God

ok i have never read a copy of the Quran, so i dont know if there are any verses in there that are completely opposite to what christ's teaching is, but islam is primarily about love just as christianity is - where is the idfference?

yes i understand that promoting islamic belief in a christian church would not be the most tactful move, but i wouldnt condemn it or get angry or annoyed if it happend at my church

C_P

DreamQuickBook

corrupt_preist said:
ok i have never read a copy of the Quran, so i dont know if there are any verses in there that are completely opposite to what christ's teaching is, but islam is primarily about love just as christianity is - where is the idfference?

"The Dinner Table
4. [5.51] O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people." - Koran

Sabio

Jocose said:
"The Dinner Table
4. [5.51] O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people." - Koran
Pretty evident even to a Satanist that the Qu'ran and the Bible did not have the same source of "divine inspiration"!

Sabio

Sabio

John 10:4
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

John 10:27
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Jocose said:
"The Dinner Table
ok, i could argue on the grounds of miss translations, but i dont hink it would stand up to this crowd - you got me on that one Knockout

but islam is generally a message of love

and so is christianity

but if someone was handing out free Qurans in my church id take one willingly to have a read of it :rolleyes: