• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Tolerance -- Too much of a good thing?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I've always been of the opinion that we can't be too awfully kind to one another. But I've had people tell me, on other forums, that this is not the case.

Today I read an article in the "Church News," published weekly by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was called, "Gift of Korans." The article described the Church's response to the tsunami relief effort in South Asia last December. Along with members of other Christian churches, our Church donated hygiene kits, clothing, medical supplies, etc. But this article went on to say that, included in our donation, were 700 copies of the Koran, which were delivered to mosques in the area. It goes without saying that this gift was well-received by the mostly Muslim population, and resulted in a close bond between people of two very different cultures and religions.

My Church has also contributed financial support in the past to Buddhist and other non-Christian churches, giving money that was used to build new places of worship. As I said up front, I have seen a tremendous amount of criticism directed at our "misplaced" generosity in supporting people who supposedly worship "false gods." So, I'm curious... What do you all think? Should Christians stick to helping other Christians worship God? Should Christian humanitarian efforts be limited to providing toothbrushes and soap to non-Christian people? Are we undermining Jesus Christ's Church when we do what we can to help people who are not worshipping Him to worship as they see fit?

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
Katzpur said:
I've always been of the opinion that we can't be too awfully kind to one another. But I've had people tell me, on other forums, that this is not the case.

Today I read an article in the "Church News," published weekly by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was called, "Gift of Korans." The article described the Church's response to the tsunami relief effort in South Asia last December. Along with members of other Christian churches, our Church donated hygiene kits, clothing, medical supplies, etc. But this article went on to say that, included in our donation, were 700 copies of the Koran, which were delivered to mosques in the area. It goes without saying that this gift was well-received by the mostly Muslim population, and resulted in a close bond between people of two very different cultures and religions.

My Church has also contributed financial support in the past to Buddhist and other non-Christian churches, giving money that was used to build new places of worship. As I said up front, I have seen a tremendous amount of criticism directed at our "misplaced" generosity in supporting people who supposedly worship "false gods." So, I'm curious... What do you all think? Should Christians stick to helping other Christians worship God? Should Christian humanitarian efforts be limited to providing toothbrushes and soap to non-Christian people? Are we undermining Jesus Christ's Church when we do what we can to help people who are not worshipping Him to worship as they see fit?
I think any Christian message comes down to what would Jesus do?

From that, I believe the answer is clear.;)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
KirbyFan101 said:
I think any Christian message comes down to what would Jesus do?

From that, I believe the answer is clear.;)
I wish it were, but I'm not so sure it is. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." So are Christians helping non-Christians to find the "true" God by contributing to their efforts to worship a "false" god?

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
Katzpur said:
I wish it were, but I'm not so sure it is. Jesus said, "I am theway, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." So are Christians helping non-Christians to find the "true" God by contributing to their efforts to worship a "false" god?
I am not sure I understand this view. Did not Jesus help people of varying religions?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
KirbyFan101 said:
I am not sure I understand this view. Did not Jesus help people of varying religions?
Well, I believe He did, but I've sure heard a lot of comments to the contrary! And He did say that it was only through Him that we could be reconciled to God.

jorylore

I certainly can't criticize your church for helping people worship in their own individual way. Yet, I can't get out of my head the fact that Jesus came to teach a certain message. And although that message was tailored to appeal to many different nations and people, it was never changed. To gain acceptance to his Father, people who worshipped false gods had to change. It didn't matter how sincere they were in their worship. "For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God; but not according to accurate knowledge." (Ro 10:2)

So if you goal as a church is to lead them to the only true God(Ju 17:3), then this is something to think about. If you simply want to assist them in continuing to worship as they see fit, than what's to criticize.

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
jorylore said:
I certainly can't criticize your church for helping people worship in their own individual way. Yet, I can't get out of my head the fact that Jesus came to teach a certain message. And although that message was tailored to appeal to many different nations and people, it was never changed. To gain acceptance to his Father, people who worshipped false gods had to change. It didn't matter how sincere they were in their worship. "For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God; but not according to accurate knowledge." (Ro 10:2)

So if you goal as a church is to lead them to the only true God(Ju 17:3), then this is something to think about. If you simply want to assist them in continuing to worship as they see fit, than what's to criticize.
The desire for Christians to change all others is one I can never accept, or respect.

Katzpur said:
Well, I believe He did, but I've sure heard a lot of comments to the contrary! And He did say that it was only through Him that we could be reconciled to God.
Maybe. I just can't see Jesus walking past a group of Tsunami victims, helping a few and saying to others, *sorry, Christians only!*

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't know anything about the LDS, except there is the Book of Mormon.
I know thier are some Christians who don't believe in Hell. If your church fits in this catagory, I don't know. I also know there are some who believe that everyone will get into Heaven. Some see it as we all worship the same god. The one employee of a local metaphysical store is Epescopalian, and fits in the catagory of thier is no Hell.
Personally, I think its great your church can set aside religious differences and help.
Im not trying to put down your church, but they could be giving away things to help worship what you would call false gods to show the love of your god. You church could just be letting those across the seas know that someone does care about thier way of life. I can think of many other reasons, but those are the two big ones.

Natas

I'll admit, I don't know much about the Mormons, except what I have seen on tv. Most of what I've seen there seems to portray them in an unkind manner. eg All the men have several wives with lots of kids in one big commune. The women are totally subserviant to their husband, and lots of other things I can't remember at the moment.

Some of the good things about the religion, I saw with my own eyes. I remember seeing many public service announcements that stressed the importance of family, talking to your kids, getting along, and other family friendly things. I came away from watching these announcements with a great respect for what they were trying to do.

While I'm not religious at all, and certainly not a christian, I have to admire and respect the great love of family shown by the Mormon church. To me, family is the best thing we have going for us. One of my hobbies is Geneology. I couldn't believe the amount of family history that has been collected by the Mormons. Do I think the Mormons are too tolerant? No. They only help themselves by being tolerant in the long run.

greatcalgarian

Humanist including atheist and deist have no problem with the Tsunami problem posted by Karztpur. They will just provide help in what ever way that will reduce the suffereing of the Tsunami victims, doesn't matter it is sending Koran, or asking or sponsoring Pope (if Rome could not afford it) to go there to bless the victim.

When there is disaster and suffering, let us drop all religious, racial, class differences, and let our heart flow with love to reduce suffering in this world. Forget about the doctrine for the time being.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Natas said:
I'll admit, I don't know much about the Mormons, except what I have seen on tv. Most of what I've seen there seems to portray them in an unkind manner. eg All the men have several wives with lots of kids in one big commune. The women are totally subserviant to their husband, and lots of other things I can't remember at the moment.
Hi, Natas.

Well, since I don't want to change the direction of this thread, I'll just respond very briefly to this comment. The "Mormons" you see portrayed on TV are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They are members of various splinter groups that have broken off from the Church over the years -- in many cases over issues such as polygamy (which our Church categorically prohibits). Television probably portrays their lifestyles in a fairly accurate way; it just fails to make clear the fact that these so-called "Fundamentalist Mormons" are not a part of the Church to which I belong.

Personally, I wouldn't be too awfully good at being subservient to anybody. Just ask my husband! :) Two kids was enough for us, and our house in the suburbs certainly doesn't qualify as a commune.

By the way, thanks for your kind comments.

Kathryn

Fluffy

A fool
Personally, I don't think that limits should be placed on tolerance except when a choice must be made between conflicting rights (in which case the aggressor should not be tolerated). Christianity suffers immensely, in my opinion, from the fairly common attitude that it is the one true way so I can hardly condemn practices on the part of Christians that might destabilise such an attitude.

in many cases over issues such as polygamy (which our Church categorically prohibits).
That is pity :(. I dearly hope that such a prohibition wasn't driven by the need to distance itself from more extreme groups and make itself seem more acceptable in the eyes of the general public.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:
Personally, I don't think that limits should be placed on tolerance except when a choice must be made between conflicting rights (in which case the aggressor should not be tolerated). Christianity suffers immensely, in my opinion, from the fairly common attitude that it is the one true way so I can hardly condemn practices on the part of Christians that might destabilise such an attitude.

That is pity :(. I dearly hope that such a prohibition wasn't driven by the need to distance itself from more extreme groups and make itself seem more acceptable in the eyes of the general public.
I think it such a shame that there has to be intollerance anywhere - and Religion is the last subject where there ought to be intollerance. For me, the greatest advertisment of any faith is tollerance, Love and non-judgementalism. I feel so sad that the world seems to be ruled by differences about faiths.

As for helping others, no I don't see that there should be any restriction on helping others; I will even help others who have treated me badly in the past. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just me.:)

Fluffy

A fool
I think it such a shame that there has to be intollerance anywhere - and Religion is the last subject where there ought to be intollerance. For me, the greatest advertisment of any faith is tollerance, Love and non-judgementalism. I feel so sad that the world seems to be ruled by differences about faiths.
It is indeed a great shame. However, the idea of complete tolerance and the idea of a person's rights cannot be totally reconciled. :(

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:
It is indeed a great shame. However, the idea of complete tolerance and the idea of a person's rights cannot be totally reconciled. :(
Just give me an example, Fluffy.
icon12.gif

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe. I just can't see Jesus walking past a group of Tsunami victims, helping a few and saying to others, *sorry, Christians only!*
I also can't see Him carving up some Ba'al idols to replace those lost...

DreamQuickBook

It takes some kind of arrogance to be so presumptuous as to believe you know what Jesus would do. I hate the phrase. That's just people's way of not really thinking about things for themselves. Gezz.

We don't need to tolerate other people's religions. We don't have to be intolerant either. For the most part, we can do the decent thing, and mind our own business.

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

Katzpur said:
I wish it were, but I'm not so sure it is. Jesus said, "I am theway, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." So are Christians helping non-Christians to find the "true" God by contributing to their efforts to worship a "false" god?
What you overlook is that virtually ALL of the God-sent Divine Messengers have made this same "only way" claim, indicating that it is through Them that humanity can come to God! (I can quote you this same statement, in similar wordings, from the scriptures of many religions.)

And as we Baha'is see it, this is indeed true: truth is one, and all these various religions are in fact successive stages in a single evolving faith, the Faith of God!

(And indeed, the spiritual teachings of ALL these great religions are in fact far more similar than most people realize! Again, quotes upon request....)

Peace,

Bruce

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jocose Satan said:
It takes some kind of arrogance to be so presumptuous as to believe you know what Jesus would do. I hate the phrase. That's just people's way of not really thinking about things for themselves. Gezz.

We don't need to tolerate other people's religions. We don't have to be intolerant either. For the most part, we can do the decent thing, and mind our own business.
I don't think "It takes some kind of arrogance to be so presumptuous as to believe you know what Jesus would do." - The way I see it, just think of the best possible motive, the most loving thing, the kindest act - that is what I think Jesus would do.
icon12.gif