• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Thought Exercise: New Age Wicca

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Suppose that someone was a modern Wiccan who worshipped the Horned God and the Goddess, something not originally a part of Wicca when it started from what I've read, and also subscribed to a philosophy that doesn't require initiation.

What is the difference between such a person who further subscribes to New Age, calling themselves a New Age Wiccan, and someone who doesn't?

To me, the lines seem blurred since both are new religions with a lot of modern concepts, despite borrowing some older elements.

So since I may not fully understand, all I can answer this thought exercise myself, is by saying "The New Age person probably has a more liberal understanding of religion than the one not identifying as New Age. In relation to Wicca."

Of course, I could be way off. I can't wrap my mind around the subject at this time.

And there really are people who identify this way though, New Age and Wicca both, based on something I seen on another site. I never asked them, though. I'm not certain they'd provide me an answer even if I did.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
The concept reminds me of what I've seen termed "fluffy bunny Wicca'.

Though its almost never said in a positive way, I don't see why it can't be a positive thing. If someone finds meaning in it, why not? Besides, who doesn't like fluffy bunnies?

It could be a pushback though, from when a lot of craft practitioners were suddenly being told the way they did something was wrong. But as long as everyone is respectful of one another, I don't see the problem.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
@Snow White, I am accustomed to calling the Wicca you describe as Eclectic Wicca or Solitary Wicca (coined by Scott Cunningham). It's a path of self-dedication rather than an traditional initiatory path.

Have you read any Scott Cunningham books? If not, something you may wish to consider...

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
If I remember right, Raymond Buckland had some good self initiatory books as well...

And I feel like I have to hide when I say this but...

I liked Silver Ravenwolf's books.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I believe I will try some book mentions in this thread, though it will take me awhile to get through them. I remember when I tried to read Hindu stories as a Hindu. I feel I made a fairly honest attempt, but there was just so much there, I was flooded. I don't think I'll quite have the same reading problem now. But, I could always be wrong, somehow.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If I remember right, Raymond Buckland had some good self initiatory books as well...

I have his Big Blue Book, and I don't recall anything about a self-dedication rite. IIRC, he's a Gardnerian that converted to the Alexandrian trad.

@Snow White, I have small library of books on Wicca from Ray Buckland, Scott Cunningham, Raven Grimassi, Margot Adler, et al sitting in a box somewhere, along with a whole set of working tools. If you are seriously into this and see this as a path you wish to follow moving forward, drop me a PM and we can work out logistics on getting them to you. I'd like to see them put to good use.

And I feel like I have to hide when I say this but...

I liked Silver Ravenwolf's books.

I'm sorry?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe I will try some book mentions in this thread, though it will take me awhile to get through them. I remember when I tried to read Hindu stories as a Hindu. I feel I made a fairly honest attempt, but there was just so much there, I was flooded. I don't think I'll quite have the same reading problem now. But, I could always be wrong, somehow.

There's no rush to read everything right now. You're young. Take your time. No need to pressure yourself.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I have his Big Blue Book, and I don't recall anything about a self-dedication rite. IIRC, he's a Gardnerian that converted to the Alexandrian trad.

@Snow White, I have small library of books on Wicca from Ray Buckland, Scott Cunningham, Raven Grimassi, Margot Adler, et al sitting in a box somewhere, along with a whole set of working tools. If you are seriously into this and see this as a path you wish to follow moving forward, drop me a PM and we can work out logistics on getting them to you. I'd like to see them put to good use.

I'm pretty rusty on this stuff, but I thought Raymond Buckland's The Tree: Complete Book of Saxon Witchcraft had stuff on self dedication in it. I didn't have it, but a buddy of mine did. I also had the Big Blue Book, which I remember enjoying.

I'm sorry?

Good. Someone oughta be...

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
@Snow White, I have small library of books on Wicca from Ray Buckland, Scott Cunningham, Raven Grimassi, Margot Adler, et al sitting in a box somewhere, along with a whole set of working tools. If you are seriously into this and see this as a path you wish to follow moving forward, drop me a PM and we can work out logistics.

I may decide to hit you up, but if it's a matter of asking me to buy one book or two books or six, I can probably do that without taking away the belongings of another member, should they need them. I had an illness a week ago that lasted for 5-6 weeks and during that time, I wasn't able to get out and shop. So I actually need to spend money on things due to the buildup from me being in the house for 6 weeks, rather than just be a stingy hoarder in regards to cash.

But, if you still wanted to talk the subject or insisted, it'd be something I'd be open to talking about. I just think I'd be more comfortable taking suggestions on what to buy, rather than taking away items from another member. So I do find suggestions the most useful here.

It's nothing personal, though. I once turned down a nice art tablet from another member, despite it being something I could probably have used. And I may have been once told I think, I could possibly skip paying my landlord, but I paid them anyway, according to what our original contract said.

As for what to do with the books and stuff if you're looking to get rid of them though, I'm quite blessed right now, so maybe wait for another practicing witch, who's a bit less fortunate than me, and give it to them?

Though turning down someone's generosity is complicated, because it does deny them the good karma that comes with doing a good deed.

I just feel like my karma would be worse for me, if I took anything at another member's expense when I had my own means of getting things, though.

But I do appreciate the offer.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I may decide to hit you up, but if it's a matter of asking me to buy one book or two books or six, I can probably do that without taking away the belongings of another member, should they need them. I had an illness a week ago that lasted for 5-6 weeks and during that time, I wasn't able to get out and shop. So I actually need to spend money on things due to the buildup from me being in the house for 6 weeks, rather than just be a stingy hoarder in regards to cash.

But, if you still wanted to talk the subject or insisted, it'd be something I'd be open to talking about. I just think I'd be more comfortable taking suggestions on what to buy, rather than taking away items from another member. So I do find suggestions the most useful here.

It's nothing personal, though. I once turned down a nice art tablet from another member, despite it being something I could probably have used. And I may have been once told I think, I could possibly skip paying my landlord, but I paid them anyway, according to what our original contract said.

As for what to do with the books and stuff if you're looking to get rid of them though, I'm quite blessed right now, so maybe wait for another practicing witch, who's a bit less fortunate than me, and give it to them?

Though turning down someone's generosity is complicated, because it does deny them the good karma that comes with doing a good deed.

I just feel like my karma would be worse for me, if I took anything at another member's expense when I had my own means of getting things, though.

But I do appreciate the offer.

You misunderstand me. I'm not selling them. I'm not looking to profit or even break even on these. I'd be gifting them to you. I would just like help with the shipping.

They were a useful tool for me on my own path, and I'd love the opportunity to pass such tools to another if they would help them on their spiritual path.

I'm truly at a point where I'm unloading any belongings I have left and giving them away to anyone who has use for them.

You would actually be gaining karma by helping me with mine.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I personally affectionately call her "Silver Ravingwoot." I see her as the founder of McWicca.

I suspect I don't like her books due to the high quality(please note my sarcasm), but probably for sentimental reasons.

She definitely founded McWicca. Though she did make it easy for those of us who were young and temporarily needed to hide stuff from our mommies and daddies. (Actually, just Dad. Mom didn't mind.)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
You misunderstand me. I'm not selling them

No, I got that. I understand that. I was talking about how I could afford to buy things from say, Amazon.

They were a useful tool for me on my own path, and I'd love the opportunity to pass such tools to another if they would help them on their spiritual path.

I'm truly at a point where I'm unloading any belongings I have left and giving them away to anyone who has use for them.

You would actually be gaining karma by helping me with mine.

I see. In that regard, I can't hardly refuse such a request.

I mean, giving people things, that's like, I don't know, how friendships even get started, sometimes. So when you put it that way, I think I would indeed be rather unwise and heartless to refuse.

I would just like help with the shipping.

I see. Well, I'd eventually need an idea of the shipping amount, like a rough estimate or ballpark, so I'd know how much money to put in my Paypal. It doesn't have to be exact though. If it was for example 45 bucks, and I paid you 50, I won't be upset, I'd just tell you to keep the extra.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I see. Well, I'd eventually need an idea of the shipping amount, like a rough estimate or ballpark, so I'd know how much money to put in my Paypal. It doesn't have to be exact though. If it was for example 45 bucks, and I paid you 50, I won't be upset, I'd just tell you to keep the extra.

It would definitely be less than the cost of shipping a ballpark. :D

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
No, I got that. I understand that. I was talking about how I could afford to buy things from say, Amazon.

I see. In that regard, I can't hardly refuse such a request.

I mean, giving people things, that's like, I don't know, how friendships even get started, sometimes. So when you put it that way, I think I would indeed be rather unwise and heartless to refuse.

Anyway, HMU in PM.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
If you are seriously into this and see this as a path you wish to follow moving forward

Well these days, when I park myself in a religion, I tend to be there for 1.5+ years.

In 2019, I was jumping around a lot, trying to find something that fit. Pantheism, panentheism, I explored the Baha'i faith for 2 months, etc. But 2019 was a rough time for me, too. A couple of threads I made back then, I mean they used words, and correctly, but I couldn't even make sense at where I was coming from, if I tried to do so now.

Viker

Häxan
Wow. Name change. I like it.:)

At some point the New Age movement and Wicca were merged by usually solitary practitioners. @SalixIncendium mentioned Eclectic Wicca and that's on spot.

I took correspondence courses through the Church and School of Wicca back in the late Eighties. I noticed it was completely different than other source material I got from bookstores. Gavin and Yvonne Frost began their own breed of Wicca. It was more monolatristic and I noticed New Age material as well. I found the Witch's Bible interesting but sometimes perplexing, they eventually revised it and renamed it the Good Witch's Bible. Still left me with a lot of questions.

Never cared for Silver Ravenwolf much as I have always been dark sided.