• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Texts

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Thanks. I am attending a Reform synagogue at the moment.
Cool gsaseeker....I look forward to learning your thoughts about reform !!!

Also...if you are interested, I will be glad to share my views on the reform scene, here at the forum...:D

You'll have to excuse me at the moment...I have to run...I am preparing for "Bone-Day" :D

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i
I read the Bible and the Qur'an as we Baha'is accept them as Divinely inspired... You will also find references to Biblical and Qur'anic verses in the Baha'i Writings.
But I've read the Hindu, Buddhist and Jain, Zand scriptures as well.

seeking4truth

According to the Quran you can find truth in past scriptures and even evidence to support the Unity of God and the status of prophets. That being so it is good to read other texts and increase your faith in the One Supreme creator who created all.

Me, I usually concentrate on the Quran and variations of the Bible but I have discussions with those who prefer other texts.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
As for texts I've read in the past that aren't of my religion:

Bible (both Jewish and Christian translations)
Qur'an (not the whole thing, mind; Yusuf Ali translation)
Some of the Gnostic Gospels
Dhammapada
Dao De Jing (the proper modern spelling of Tao Te Ching)

When I was practicing Hinduism, I of course read a lot of its texts, but as I don't practice it anymore, I suppose I could list the ones that I still hold near and dear:

Upanishads (specifically Isa and Kena)
Bhagavad-Gita
Ramayana

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you read any religious texts that are not the religious texts of your religion?

Yes, primarily for learning different things.

If so name them.

The Bible.
The Bhagavad Gita.
Upanishads.
Tao Te Ching.
The Prose Edda, though it's technically not a religious text, rather, it's a collection of stories, lore and legends about the deities of the Northern Tradition.

Jumi

Just some of the religious books I've read or have started reading in alphabetic order, I have not completely read all of these but I plan to when I have time.

Avesta
Bhagavad Gita
Bible
Book of Mormon
Dianetics
Eddas
Kalevala
Liber Al
Nag Hammadi Library
Principia Discordia
Satanic Bible
Tao Te Ching
Torah
Upanishads
Quran

I don't have a religion so all of these are not from my religion.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Just some of the religious books I've read or have started reading in alphabetic order, I have not completely read all of these but I plan to when I have time.

Avesta
Bhagavad Gita
Bible
Book of Mormon
Dianetics
Eddas
Kalevala
Liber Al
Nag Hammadi Library
Principia Discordia
Satanic Bible
Tao Te Ching
Torah
Upanishads
Quran

That's just like me, I've taken a look at all of them. What did you think of Anton LaVey? I thought he was almost like a sociologist in some of his essays.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Avesta
Bhagavad Gita
Bible
Book of Mormon
Dianetics
Eddas
Kalevala
Liber Al
Nag Hammadi Library
Principia Discordia
Satanic Bible
Tao Te Ching
Torah
Upanishads
Quran

Wow! You're ambitious and I'm impressed! I noticed you didn't include "Kitab-i-Aqdas," which is supposedly the most important of the writings of Baha'u'llah (unless it may go by some other name that I didn't recognize in your list). I just love it when a member of the Baha'i Faith posts something from their scriptures. They are so beautiful! There are a lot of them, though. And what about the Urantia Book? And while I'm at it, may I suggest the Mormon scripture called "The Pearl of Great Price." It's a very short read.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
While the Tanakh is my Book now, I grew up with the Christian Bible. I've also read the Qur'an, the Book of Mormon, and selections from a few others.

But I'm much more interested in the philosophies of religions that their actual Scriptures, to be honest.

Jumi

That's just like me, I've taken a look at all of them. What did you think of Anton LaVey? I thought he was almost like a sociologist in some of his essays.
It was a long time ago when I read it, in the 90s.

No doubt that he was good at observing people and while some of the observations seemed valid, I think his attitude was unhealthy and unproductive. Mostly it seemed everything was all a big joke to him and many took him way seriously.

The book itself wasn't at all what I expected, I think I was somewhat disappointed considering the attention it was getting at the time.

Well that's my opinion anyway.

Jumi

Wow! You're ambitious and I'm impressed! I noticed you didn't include "Kitab-i-Aqdas," which is supposedly the most important of the writings of Baha'u'llah (unless it may go by some other name that I didn't recognize in your list). I just love it when a member of the Baha'i Faith posts something from their scriptures. They are so beautiful! There are a lot of them, though. And what about the Urantia Book? And while I'm at it, may I suggest the Mormon scripture called "The Pearl of Great Price." It's a very short read.
I did start reading the Urantia, but I just couldn't convince myself to read more than a few pages. At the time I knew a guy who was really into it. He believed it so badly he sold everything and went to look for spiritual evolution somewhere. I haven't heard from him since.

I've heard of the Baha'i but never heard of the book. Will take a look when I have time.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I only read them to criticize them. I find them all to be boring and poorly written/translated. They are tedious and hold no value nor meaning. Pages and pages of emptiness.
Like a true pagan I assert the inferiority of religious texts altogether. A few myths here and there are nice but these religious books do absolutely nothing for me.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you read any religious texts that are not the religious texts of your religion?

If so name them.
Well, I don't have a religion, so all such texts qualify. The NT I've read in Greek, English, Latin, Gothic, German, French, and somewhat of Sanskrit. The OT I've read in English, Hebrew, & Greek. It's a bit hard to determine whether certain texts are "religious" still less what religion, in some cases, but I have read e.g., the Iliad and Odyssey in Greek and most of both in English (Hesiod too), various so-called gnostic texts (though often in translation as I can't read Coptic), and most of the extant religious Greco-Roman religious texts (such ad the Hymn to Demeter or Plotinus. I've read the Koran in English an Arabic and read much of the ahadith (though mostly in English). I've read a number of Buddhist texts, but these I've read through pre-arranged collections like Penguin's Buddhist Scriptures), but mostly my knowledge of Eastern religions such as these is limited to what I picked up in martial arts and what I learned by reading the history of the developments of such religions. I've read the Bhagavadgita in English and much of it in Sanskrit, I've read Kṛṣṇa, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the Principal Upanishads, the Mishnah and the Talmudim (mostly in English but I'd say a fair proportion in Hebrew), the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, Gems of Divine Mysteries, various medieval treatises from persons or groups that were deemed heretical, most of the so-called Church Fathers (especially those writing in Greek), that which remains of Nordica saga and the like, a number of borderline cases (such as The Book of Five Rings or most of both the Na Hammadi and Dea Sea scroll texts), and probably many others that would be counted as some as "religious texts" and denied by other.

I hope to read more but both my Japanese and Chinese are so virtually non-existent. Also, apart from Navajo I can't read anyting written by indigenous peoples of the Americas, let alone elsewhere such as Australia.

Sariel

Heretic
I haven't fully studied much outside of the Bible, 2nd Temple apocrypha, and a bit of Q'ran but I've been itching to study the Avestras and some Hermetic texts, the Baihui texts, and then maybe some Hindu texts.

Norrin-6-

I'm trudging through the Book of Mormon at a snail's pace; trying to take seriously the whole "pray for a testimony" thing once I'm through or until I am moved by the book to do so.

I have a copy of the Qur'an I think I'll pick up soon. Maybe I'll take the surah challenge, lol.

Also have a copy of the Analects by Confucius I haven't read yet.

Being a former Christian I'm kind of familiar with parts of the Holy Bible, so I mostly consult it as a reference while reading other works. I did buy a new leather bound NRSV earlier this year. I also have a 1984 edition of the New World Translation (Jehovah's Witnesses bible) that I picked up at a thrift store in my area; it's the edition that actually tells you all (or most) of the oddities between it and other bibles.

While I've read parts of quite a few religious texts, I will have to admit I haven't done a lot in the way of completing anything. But the collection I am building is certainly the beginning.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
While I've read parts of quite a few religious texts, I will have to admit I haven't done a lot in the way of completing anything. But the collection I am building is certainly the beginning.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Most religious books are collections of otherwise separate texts, anyway; more akin to a "Best of so-and-so" collection than a single novel. I, too, haven't "finished" most religious books I have.

Norrin-6-

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Most religious books are collections of otherwise separate texts, anyway; more akin to a "Best of so-and-so" collection than a single novel. I, too, haven't "finished" most religious books I have.
Yeah. People make careers on studying just the New Testament, or just Paul's letters. Not that they don't study the other parts too, but they are scholars after all so it's somewhat "job-related." I'm no scholar.

But I'm probably more interested in reading the works of scholars these days, their books can be a lot more interesting than the texts themselves.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm trudging through the Book of Mormon at a snail's pace; trying to take seriously the whole "pray for a testimony" thing once I'm through or until I am moved by the book to do so.
Well, as a Mormon, I definitely can't say the Book of Mormon is the most riveting book I've ever read. ;) Some parts I really like, and other parts I really have to force myself to get through. But if you can't take the "whole pray for a testimony thing" seriously, you might as well just put the book down and start the Qur'an. Basically, the "pray for a testimony" thing is just a take off on James 1:5, which says, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, who giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not. And it shall be given him." It seems to me that if asking God for help in terms of gaining spiritual knowledge and wisdom is entirely logical, but if it's not to you, then I can absolutely assure you that it won't work.

Your "pray for a testimony" comment probably relates to a scripture Mormons often quote to people who are reading the book. It's Moroni 10:4, which says, "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost." Basically, I understand that as saying that after you've read the words of this book, ask God with sincerity if they're true. If you have faith in Christ and are open to whatever answer He will give you, you may be surprised. The thing is, you can't go into your prayer being 90% sure that the book is a fraud and expect to receive an answer that it's not.