• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious syncretism

akash

Religious syncretism exhibits blending of two or more religious belief systems into a new system, or the incorporation into a religious tradition of beliefs from unrelated traditions. This can occur for many reasons, and the latter scenario happens quite commonly in areas where multiple religious traditions exist in proximity and function actively in the culture, or when a culture is conquered, and the conquerors bring their religious beliefs with them, but do not succeed in entirely eradicating the old beliefs or, especially, practices.

Religions may have syncretic elements to their beliefs or history, but adherents of so-labeled systems often frown on applying the label, especially adherents who belong to "revealed" religious systems, such as the Abrahamic religions, or any system that exhibits an approach. Such adherents sometimes see syncretism as a betrayal of their pure truth. By this reasoning, adding an incompatible belief corrupts the original religion, rendering it no longer true. Indeed, critics of a specific syncretistic trend may sometimes use the word "syncretism" as a disparaging epithet, as a charge implying that those who seek to incorporate a new view, belief, or practice into a religious system actually distort the original faith. Non-exclusivist systems of belief, on the other hand, may feel quite free to incorporate other traditions into their own.

GiantHouseKey

Greetings

I guess you could say I follow a syncretic religion, although I prefer the word 'Synthetic'. The difference is that I have created my own parts to my religious beliefs and practices, rather than merged pre-existing religions without creating any new aspects :)

By the way...Have you ever heard of Chrislam?

GhK.

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
Multiple religious identities is the norm in most of the world, just likle bilingualism (and some would argue bisexuality).

brodan

I know this is weird but I have this feeling that the hypothesis of Zecharia Sitchin is largely right. One of the warring anunnaki introduced himself as God to Moses at Mt. Sinai. A group of anunnaki taught the Hindus the various paths to yoga. Christ may have been a yogin or arahant. And acupuncture works, so maybe Taoism should be counted in.

ZooGirl02

I believe I am Syncretistic(sp?) person. I also believe in a form of Christianity but I feel that I can easily incorporate parts of other belief systems/religions/sects/whatever into my own. I don't expect others to do so but when I do this, it helps me to understand things better. :)

Midnight Pete

Combining two religions into one religious path is like serving two masters. For a time I thought I could be both a Buddhist and a Christian, but now I know better.

SLAMH

Combining two religions will result in the creation of new belief. It could be for better or even for worse. From my own view, I don't think that's possible to claim the following of two paths at the same time, even physically it is impossible to take two roads at the exact moment. In terms of this approach, blending of different religion or thoughts must result in the existence of a new faith.

Bob Dixon

>implying
Combining two religions into one religious path is like serving two masters. For a time I thought I could be both a Buddhist and a Christian, but now I know better.

Says the guy who is a Christian which, in itself, is usually a syncretism of Judaism, Gnosticism, and various paganisms.

edgewalker

I know for certain that I am blending my beliefs and it feels right to my spirit. I have folk religion/pagan/Christian aspects in my personal rituals and practices. I am monotheistic as well.