• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious statements in the ToE

Man of Faith

Below are some of the religious statements in the ToE. What I mean by religious statements are statements of things that haven’t been directly observed, yet accepted or believed.

Evolution has led to the diversification of all living organisms from a common ancestor…
…the human eye uses four genes to make structures that sense light: all four are descended from a single ancestral gene.
All organisms on Earth are descended from a common ancestor or ancestral gene pool.
Humans are related to chimpanzees
Humans evolved from ape like creatures
genetic mutations are responsible for the changes

Skwim

Veteran Member
Below are some of the religious statements in the ToE. What I mean by religious statements are statements of things that haven’t been directly observed, yet accepted or believed.

Evolution has led to the diversification of all living organisms from a common ancestor…
…the human eye uses four genes to make structures that sense light: all four are descended from a single ancestral gene.
All organisms on Earth are descended from a common ancestor or ancestral gene pool.
Not that I necessarily dispute any of these statements, but what is your source for them?

Oh yes, are all "statements of things that haven’t been directly observed, yet accepted or believed" de facto religious?

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So all we need for a statement to be "religious" is for it nit to have been directly observed?

In that case, the statements you gave are in the same "religious" boat as this one:

- a light bulb works because electrons run through the filament

I'm fine with that sort of "religion".

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar

But why accept as "religious" anything that hasn't been observed directly but yet is accepted and believed? Many people, even those who are religious, would disagree with this.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
If I were to say that the sun provides us energy through nuclear fusion of hydrogen atoms, would that be a “religious statement”?

Alceste

Vagabond
By this logic, it is a religious belief that the earth and moon are round. After all, you can only ever "observe" one side of them. You have to take it on pure religious faith that the other side actually exists.

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
Religion: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.

Where are you getting this definition from? Why should we accept it?

It seems to me that you're attempting to paint the ToE as a religious belief or a theory which contains religious doctrines or elements, so that if evolutionists attack religious beliefs, like the inerrancy of the Bible or the resurrection of Christ, they're guilty of hypocrisy because of the religious nature of their beliefs. Am I right?

outhouse

Atheistically

with that attitude, would anything get done???

Or would everyone live in fantasy land??

Man of Faith

Where are you getting this definition from? Why should we accept it?

It seems to me that you're attempting to paint the ToE as a religious belief or a theory which contains religious doctrines or elements, so that if evolutionists attack religious beliefs, like the inerrancy of the Bible or the resurrection of Christ, they're guilty of hypocrisy because of the religious nature of their beliefs. Am I right?

That's a great idea, thanks.

Man of Faith

uhm.... okay, so what is your point?

The point is there are religious statements in the ToE and I was pointing them out. The preachers and deacons of evolution only point out the science parts and gloss over the religious parts, so I am doing you a favor.

Me Myself

Back to my username
The point is there are religious statements in the ToE and I was pointing them out. The preachers and deacons of evolution only point out the science parts and gloss over the religious parts, so I am doing you a favor.

According to the description you made of "religion" the scientific method would be a religion, so being scientific doesn´t contradict the conceptualization you want to put on the word religion.

So you better never touch your computer again. You should not participate in science or any other religion, right?

nnmartin

What would happen if the theory of Evolution was proved to be wrong.

Which Neo-God would the evolutionists turn to then?

Man of Faith

What would happen if the theory of Evolution was proved to be wrong.

Which Neo-God would the evolutionists turn to then?

Well religion can't be proven wrong, but they would turn to aliens, and accept that the aliens were a product of naturalistic evolution and then seeded the earth.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

It seems you've redefined "religion" to include just about everything.
Hardly worth arguing about it.

Me Myself

Back to my username
You do understand that given the concept you gave of religion, Science method IS a religion, right?

And has given us even this computer to chat on. You don´t want to trust on what you are typing on? :shrug:

Man of Faith

You do understand that given the concept you gave of religion, Science method IS a religion, right?

And has given us even this computer to chat on. You don´t want to trust on what you are typing on? :shrug:

I heard you the first time and wasn't going to respond to not embarrass you, but you leave me no choice. One part of the scientific method is to test the hypothesis, but that can’t be done on religious statements, so those aren’t testable repeatable observable science. The operation of a computer is. Your arguments are stuck in the late 90s.