• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Prejudices

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
I just wanted to say that I think we all have prejudices against religion in some form or other. There are so many different religions out there it is impossible to fully understand all of them, so we mostly go on what we hear. For me it all started when I was a kid growing up with a Mormon dad and a Baptist mom and a Catholic stepdad who all despised each other some and constantly bashed each other's religion of choice. I admit that I have prejudices against Mormonism and Catholicism because I was mostly influenced by my mom. But I have noticed in a lot of other people, especially those who don't have a religion of their own, that they can view all Christians alike. That is not right, unless you know what somebody believes, you shouldn't judge them. Not all religions are alike, and not all people in all religions are alike. It is much better to try to find out for yourself than to just assume and hate. I hope we can all work on this.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
johnnys4life said:
There are so many different religions out there it is impossible to fully understand all of them, so we mostly go on what we hear.
I disagree. It is possible to learn about and understand different religions.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
ya, all we need is an open mind and tolerance.

my parents have biases against some muslims and jews. i see nothing in hate and animosty against other religions.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
johnnys4life said:
I just wanted to say that I think we all have prejudices against religion in some form or other.
I think we all have misconceptions about other religions, but I wouldn't say that those are always prejudices. This is why it's important to learn about other religions, to correct this mistakes.

O

OfPeace

I used to say the same things as you, Gerani1248. Then I stopped being ignorant: I started to know that some people of a certain religion need to enslave me, need to oppress me, think they have the right to kill me because of my beliefs, and, for crying out loud, need to make me Arab (ewhh!). Of course, I'm talking about Islam. I don't want religion to be an issue regarding how we treat each other, but I can't ignore those facts.

I just want to live in peace. Islam just needs to be dropped.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
OfPeace said:
I used to say the same things as you, Gerani1248. Then I stopped being ignorant: I started to know that some people of a certain religion need to enslave me, need to oppress me, think they have the right to kill me because of my beliefs, and, for crying out loud, need to make me Arab (ewhh!). Of course, I'm talking about Islam. I don't want religion to be an issue regarding how we treat each other, but I can't ignore those facts.

I just want to live in peace. Islam just needs to be dropped.

Gerani is about the furthest from 'ignorant' that one could get, as I would say for most any member of this site. By expressing that you don't want religion to be an issue regarding how we treat each other, you make a perfectly reasonable statement... And then argue with it? If you want to live in peace, what does it matter to you what another religion believes? (No, the fact is, unless Iowa is very much different from other parts of the country, I am not familiar with the 'need to enslave me.' The 'need to make me an Arab' view is one I've never heard expressed. ) And what do you mean by 'dropped'?

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
"I used to say the same things as you, Gerani1248. Then I stopped being ignorant: I started to know that some people of a certain religion need to enslave me, need to oppress me, think they have the right to kill me because of my beliefs, and, for crying out loud, need to make me Arab (ewhh!). Of course, I'm talking about Islam. I don't want religion to be an issue regarding how we treat each other, but I can't ignore those facts.

I just want to live in peace. Islam just needs to be dropped."

if everyone is tolerant, i see no reason why arabs had to pressure you into anything. all throughout history, christianity has become the bad boy in converstion. but i see no point. if we all were tolerant, none of this would ever happen.

if someone trys to force you into christianity or islam, just walk away. im serious, if they insult you are make you embarrased, what does jesus or buddha say? walk away. be patient. patience is the best way to remove anger.

yes, its sad that some people think that way. whattodo? you were obviously influeneced by someone's strong beliefs. think for yourself. question.