• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious objections to food ?

james blunt

I understand some religions object to other religions on the grounds of food . Now seems as mass is energy and energy is mass , all food is energy . So regardless of what you put in your mouth , it's all energy and it seems a bit mundane when arguments are over food .

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Don't people take offense over what other people eat ?

Cats, I can't stand people who eat cats.

Cats-1.jpg

Dogs, meh...

upload_2018-12-18_12-51-42.jpeg

Last edited:

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I avoid peas religiously and that is not up for debate, when my mother was alive she told me that even as a baby they made me sick but I don't have any food allergies that I know of.

Audie

Veteran Member
I understand some religions object to other religions on the grounds of food . Now seems as mass is energy and energy is mass , all food is energy . So regardless of what you put in your mouth , it's all energy and it seems a bit mundane when arguments are over food .

So you 'd be good with lab grown meat
from human stem cells.

james blunt

Hmm, I must be confused about this then , from what I understood some people take offense to all sorts of foods on religious grounds . Myself personally would feel rather sick is I observed someone eating worms , not because they would offend me personally , but because I have a weak stomach and have not been brought up eating worms . Would you eat a worm ?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm, I must be confused about this then , from what I understood some people take offense to all sorts of foods on religious grounds . Myself personally would feel rather sick is I observed someone eating worms , not because they would offend me personally , but because I have a weak stomach and have not been brought up eating worms . Would you eat a worm ?
I'm a vegetarian, so no. This is phrased very differently from your OP:
I understand some religions object to other religions on the grounds of food .
Which religion is objecting to another religion's diet?

james blunt

from human stem cells.

If a needs was a must , survival is nature . I would prefer my ''use too'' though of course . My use too being a product of upbringing , similar to smoking , can't be helped once you're use to it .

james blunt

I'm a vegetarian, so no. This is phrased very differently from your OP:

Which religion is objecting to another religion's diet?

I have seen a few debates about pork , I'm not entirely sure what the problem is though with pork . Can anyone please explain what is the problem with pork ?

Please don't take offense in trying to educate the unwise .

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have seen a few debates about pork , I'm not entirely sure what the problem is though with pork . Can anyone please explain what is the problem with pork ?

There is no understandable reason for laws of Kashrus. It's not just pork, it's many other animals.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

What animals does the Bible consider unclean? If they eat grass, but don’t have a split hoof, or have a split hoof, but don’t eat grass. This includes rabbits and pig. It’s in the Bible, Leviticus 11:6-7, NKJV. “the hare, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you; and the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you.”
Unclean Meats | Bibleinfo.com

So since pigs don't eat grass, makes them unclean. Pigs eat whatever, even humans I understand from a reliable source. ( I watched Deadwood) So that makes sense I guess.

Audie

Veteran Member
If a needs was a must , survival is nature . I would prefer my ''use too'' though of course . My use too being a product of upbringing , similar to smoking , can't be helped once you're use to it .

I have no idea what you said.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
from human stem cells.
Well, if mass is energy and energy is mass and all food is energy, I assume he'd eat a rock if given one -- and possibly photosynthesize, as well.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know of religions opposing each other specifically because of food. The objections are more doctrinal or team oriented.
It's within religions, among adherents, that dietary objections are usually raised.

james blunt

There is no understandable reason for laws of Kashrus. It's not just pork, it's many other animals.
I agree , we should all be vegetarians but lots of us including myself are brought up on meat products . It is difficult to change although not impossible . However you make a good make in that all animals should be deemed the same . So to be biased to any particular food source animal would be rather strange would it not ?