• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Nones?

SSDSSDSSD3

The Great Sea Under!
For all the religious "nones", if you had to pick a religion which would you pick and why? What would be the ultimate deciding factor? (Example, ideology vs values.)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
For all the religious "nones", if you had to pick a religion which would you pick and why? What would be the ultimate deciding factor? (Example, ideology vs values.)
It seems to me in modern times, people that are serious about these issues don't belong exactly to a specific religion. Most people have a self-created belief system that serves as their religion.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have no religion
but likely should not post in this dir because I believe in God

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It seems to me in modern times, people that are serious about these issues don't belong exactly to a specific religion. Most people have a self-created belief system that serves as their religion.
Your current label is "Advaita". Should we understand that you do not see it as your religion?

Treasure Hunter

The ultimate deciding factor would have to be truthfulness. For me, there are two people that stand out: Jesus and Krishna. I am less sure about Krishna since there is not as much retained information, so I would choose Christianity.

However, I don't believe in just about any of what most Christians think are core beliefs of Christianity so I have no doubt I would not be considered a "true Christian". I guess what I am saying is there is a huge conflict between what Jesus really taught and the religion of Christianity.

I see you are a Sikh. I feel the same way toward Sikhism that I do toward Buddhism. I think they are a great foundation, and Guru Nanak and the Buddha both certainly experienced a spiritual awakening. But, at some point, both religions need to be outgrown to advance further.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

My religion is Life. If I had to pick a religion (conform myself to a system/structure of beliefs and practices in a religious community) it would be Druid or a school of paganism that isnt eclectic. A religion that has heavy concentration on ancestors, spiritual development, freedom of expression, and living with the earth.

The deciding factor: Whether this religion will help me learn not just about me but my family who is a part of me.

My family.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason

Since no form of theism is known to be true, then I would have to choose the theistic religion that I liked the most, and that would be theistic Wicca.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
So theism is a requirement?

To be honest this is because the definition of religion is just really strange.

Take a look at these definitions:

(1): the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

This one makes sense and can be easily defined as this could mean theism would be a requirement and was what I was alluding to.

(2): a particular system of faith and worship.

This one is more vague but still is easily workable but it would now cover many non-theistic beliefs (though not mine as I have no faith) like Buddhism.

(3): a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.

Ok this one is just ridiculous under this peace, science, teaching, law, and virtually anything can be a religion.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Your current label is "Advaita". Should we understand that you do not see it as your religion?
Let's look at the definition:

Full Definition of religion
  1. 1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion>b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2. 2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

3. 3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness

4. 4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

So, in my case I would say Advaita is a religion. I feel comfortable with a known term (Advaita). My point was many fit definition 2.) (a personal set) and would not have a name/term to use to answer the OP question.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't consider myself non-religious, although I am fiercely non-theistic, so I don't actually know whether this DIR is "mine". Therefore, no further comment from me here.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe...buddhism? Unless you allow me panentheism or deism. Basically anything that avoids an interventionist god, which i find...hmm...unlikely, let's say.

SSDSSDSSD3

The Great Sea Under!
I was asking about @Taylor Seraphim 's choices.

But since you answered anyway, what is theism not a requirement for?
Not all Wiccans believe in the need of a God, though some do. Many pagan religions, (European religions before Christianity), would be diverse in belief and would have subjective following based on individual believers.

SSDSSDSSD3

The Great Sea Under!
The ultimate deciding factor would have to be truthfulness. For me, there are two people that stand out: Jesus and Krishna. I am less sure about Krishna since there is not as much retained information, so I would choose Christianity.

However, I don't believe in just about any of what most Christians think are core beliefs of Christianity so I have no doubt I would not be considered a "true Christian". I guess what I am saying is there is a huge conflict between what Jesus really taught and the religion of Christianity.

I see you are a Sikh. I feel the same way toward Sikhism that I do toward Buddhism. I think they are a great foundation, and Guru Nanak and the Buddha both certainly experienced a spiritual awakening. But, at some point, both religions need to be outgrown to advance further.
By outgrown each other do you mean population and influence wise?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not all Wiccans believe in the need of a God, though some do. Many pagan religions, (European religions before Christianity), would be diverse in belief and would have subjective following based on individual believers.
I take it that adherents of such non-theistic faiths (such as myself) are not expected to answer in this thread?