• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious mix and match, am I being disrespectful?

Okay, so here is my deal.

I grew up Catholic, but have since taken to considering myself an Agnostic Theist, moreso leaning towards being an Agnostic Deist. I believe there is a God, or “something greater,” but I think he/she/it probably has bigger fish to fry than dealing with humanity all that much. I also attend UU services on a semi-regular basis.

I still have a lot of respect for certain aspects of Catholicism, such as the traditions, rituals, the Churches themselves, etc. I don’t consider myself a Christian, but I have gone to the local Catholic Church a time or two, when Mass isn’t in session, and just sat silently, prayed (basically a little prayer honoring his existence, the unknown, and wishing compassion for us), or talked to God (ramblings about pretty much whatever is on my mind). I have been curious about checking other religious services, not for the sake of conversion, but basically just to observe. I think all (or at least most) religions are in search of the same truth, so they are all pretty much just different roads on the same path. One of them may even have a better idea of what’s up than the others, how should I know?

Anyway, I recently started reading a bit about Naturalist Paganism, and I have to admit, I’m intrigued. I really like how it mixes honoring old traditions with a respect for science.

Naturalistic Pagans tend to dismiss the supernatural though, at least from what I’ve read, which isn’t something I’m necessarily ready to do, at least not completely. So if I wanted to embrace these practices, I’d be something along the lines of a Unitarian Universalist Agnostic Naturalistic Pagan (with a few leftover traces of Catholicism) Theist (possibly Deist).

I don’t mind incorporating different religion aspects into my practices, because like I said before, I think most of them are pretty much just different roads on the same path. I just want to make sure I’m not being disrespectful towards any one religion when I do that. I figure I’m safe on the UU end, but I’d like to be able to embrace Naturalistic Pagan ideas without upsetting that community, while at least showing some respect for my Catholic roots.

Basically, what I’m getting down to is this…can it be seen as disrespectful to borrow from different religions when trying to form ones own beliefs and practices?

(Sorry it took so long I get to that, I just figured some backstory may be in order.)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
There's no problem as long as you don't specifically identify as one or the other specific religion.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
There's no problem as long as you don't specifically identify as one or the other specific religion.
I hadn't actually thought of that, but I'd say that's a really good point.

To the OP: I think that to some extent, most people do what you're doing. You're just being more honest about it.

Me Myself

Back to my username
You cant disrespect people by honestly believing what you believe.

You can disrespect people by deliberately insulting them but at is of course another thing entirely.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Religious "shopping" has become commonplace these days when it seems OK to believe whatever you like , call it whatever you like and carry on as if God doesn't really care anyway. There is a veritable "supermarket" of beliefs out there and people like to take a little from here, a little from there and take it home to concoct their very own religion. :bow:

Does God think that's OK though? Or are a lot of people really just kidding themselves?

What does God really think about "mix and match" when it comes to religion? :shrug: (2 Thess 2:9-12; 2 Cor 6:14-18)

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
I am all for cherry picking but I would rather not pay for it, so I d opt out of the shopping. Then again, that's me :D

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Religious "shopping" has become commonplace these days when it seems OK to believe whatever you like , call it whatever you like and carry on as if God doesn't really care anyway. There is a veritable "supermarket" of beliefs out there and people like to take a little from here, a little from there and take it home to concoct their very own religion. :bow:

Does God think that's OK though? Or are a lot of people really just kidding themselves?

What does really God think about "mix and match" when it comes to religion? :shrug: (2 Thess 2:9-12; 2 Cor 6:14-18)

Just thinking about your "supermarket" comment, I'd sooner liken it to a smorgasbord, where you can select as much as you want and what you like from the available options, as opposed to selecting a pre-packaged deal, but yes, I agree

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Just thinking about your "supermarket" comment, I'd sooner liken it to a smorgasbord, where you can select as much as you want and what you like from the available options, as opposed to selecting a pre-packaged deal, but yes, I agree

In view of Paul's words here....

"...I say that the things which the nations sacrifice they sacrifice to demons, and not to God; and I do not want you to become sharers with the demons. You cannot be drinking the cup of Jehovah and the cup of demons; you cannot be partaking of “the table of Jehovah” and the table of demons."
(1 Cor 10:20, 21)

It seems as if the smorgasbord could be dished up at the wrong table....:(

In Biblical history, no worshipper of the true God was ever free to determine their own beliefs. They were prescribed by Him and were to be followed to the letter. Anyone teaching different doctrine was to be shunned.

"Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. He that does remain in this teaching is the one that has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him. For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works." (2 John 9-11)

Since God does not change, what makes us think that we can do this 'religion shopping' now with his approval? :shrug:

That makes sense, and I don't think I'd be comfortable identifying myself as one in particular anyway.

How do you think this would make me look to those that do identify with one though? A worry I have is that if I try to become part of a naturalistic pagan community, for instance, I'd have to be "in the closet" (in a sense) about my beliefs. Otherwise, I may be considered by some and dismissed completely by others.

Granted, I would be doing a lot of this within the realm of UU, so some level of open mindedness is a given, but I think I would possibly run into issues outside of UU.

I know it sounds like I'm worried too much about what other people would think, but honestly, I'd just like to find a community of like minded people. Not adhering to any particular dogma can be kind of lonely at times.

In view of Paul's words here....

"...I say that the things which the nations sacrifice they sacrifice to demons, and not to God; and I do not want you to become sharers with the demons. You cannot be drinking the cup of Jehovah and the cup of demons; you cannot be partaking of “the table of Jehovah” and the table of demons."
(1 Cor 10:20, 21)

It seems as if the smorgasbord could be dished up at the wrong table....:(

In Biblical history, no worshipper of the true God was ever free to determine their own beliefs. They were prescribed by Him and were to be followed to the letter. Anyone teaching different doctrine was to be shunned.

"Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. He that does remain in this teaching is the one that has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him. For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works." (2 John 9-11)

Since God does not change, what makes us think that we can do this 'religion shopping' now with his approval? :shrug:

I understand completely what you are saying, and in view of those passages, I can understand why the kind of syncretism I'm talking about would be frowned upon.

This is just my belief, but I don't believe it can be that black and white though, you know? God created a world with so much diversity, that it's hard to accept that everyone is expected to fall under one strict religious viewpoint, especially considering he wasn't fond of everyone speaking one language, or the idea of a one world government. (admittedly, I don't not know the full context of those ideas, but that is how it appears to me).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
... I don’t consider myself a Christian, but I have gone to the local Catholic Church a time or two, when Mass isn’t in session, and just sat silently, prayed (basically a little prayer honoring his existence, the unknown, and wishing compassion for us), or talked to God (ramblings about pretty much whatever is on my mind). ...

I don’t mind incorporating different religion aspects into my practices, because like I said before, I think most of them are pretty much just different roads on the same path. I just want to make sure I’m not being disrespectful towards any one religion when I do that. ...

Basically, what I’m getting down to is this…can it be seen as disrespectful to borrow from different religions when trying to form ones own beliefs and practices?

I agree with Riverwolf here. There's no harm in forming your own belief system as long as there are no conflicts in the aspects you choose, but I would not identify myself with an "established religion". For example, I draw on Jesuism (the teachings of Jesus only, not the rest of so-called Christianity), Buddhism, Taoism and Hinduism, but I don't call myself any of those. At one time I called myself Hindu, but I don't any longer, having returned to my strong deist beliefs and rejected a lot of Hindu belief and practice. I also reject a lot of Buddhist beliefs, or rather, beliefs espoused by Buddhists (which are not necessarily Buddhist). However, if I have to put a face on God and the gods, it's a Hindu, Buddhist and Taoist face (I believe there are other divine beings) because that appeals to me. There's a saying that God shows Himself/Herself in a way meaningful to the believer. I think Taoism is about as close as one can come to a codified deism, mostly because Taoism, imo, is rooted in common sense and observance. That's also what deism is; consider that there are deists who do believe that God has more of a hand in the universe and our lives. So when all is said and done, I don't think it's disrespectful to draw from various religions, faiths and philosophies.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you think this would make me look to those that do identify with one though? A worry I have is that if I try to become part of a naturalistic pagan community, for instance, I'd have to be "in the closet" (in a sense) about my beliefs. Otherwise, I may be considered by some and dismissed completely by others.

I know it sounds like I'm worried too much about what other people would think, but honestly, I'd just like to find a community of like minded people.

I also think you are too worried about what other people will think. UU and Quakers seem to have (from my readings, not direct experience) a strong Christian core. However, that's not to say they are Christian denominations. If I wanted to be part of a religious community, would I find a UU or Quaker community that was diverse enough and familiar with eastern religions that I'd feel comfortable? I don't know, but there may be some.

Not adhering to any particular dogma can be kind of lonely at times.

:yes: It can be, but not everyone is cut out to adhere to any single doctrine.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
In Biblical history, no worshipper of the true God was ever free to determine their own beliefs. They were prescribed by Him and were to be followed to the letter. Anyone teaching different doctrine was to be shunned. ...

The "true God" and true religion is true in the view of the believer. The bible is true because it says it's true, and it's true only for a believer in the bible. Not everyone has the same beliefs. My beliefs are no less true to me than yours are to you; neither one of us can prove their truth, nor should we try.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I know it sounds like I'm worried too much about what other people would think, but honestly, I'd just like to find a community of like minded people. Not adhering to any particular dogma can be kind of lonely at times.
But wouldn't the UU community really fit the bill? I mean it sounds to me as if you've already found your home. You just haven't quite come to realize that yet.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
I understand completely what you are saying, and in view of those passages, I can understand why the kind of syncretism I'm talking about would be frowned upon.

At the end of the day, it matters little what we personally want out of a religion or set of beliefs...what matters is what God thinks about it all.

Do you know why we have so many different belief systems in the world to begin with? It all started with just one one God and one set of beliefs. Men drifted away from God and introduced what they wanted to believe.
Christianity also started with just one set of beliefs....but look at it now! :eek: History repeats.

This is just my belief, but I don't believe it can be that black and white though, you know? God created a world with so much diversity, that it's hard to accept that everyone is expected to fall under one strict religious viewpoint
One strict religious view point is what God has always had. Look at the ancient nation of Israel. No one was free do worship "their" way. It was "God's way" or no way!

Man wanted to add things to broaden the definition and did so against God's express wishes. (Matt 7:13, 14) Did they learn from what happened to the Jewish nation? No, they followed them down the same path and split Christianity up into thousands of sects...all claiming to be truth. If Christ returned today, who would he recognize as his own?

especially considering he wasn't fond of everyone speaking one language
Do you know why God confused the language at Babel? It wasn't because he wasn't fond of the language he had given them, but because they were using that language to defy their Creator's instructions. He told them to spread abroad in the earth, but they conspired together to stay put and to build cities and towers as monuments to themselves, so God forced them to spread out by confusing their language; those who understood one another moved away and colonized other regions. It accomplished God's will.

or the idea of a one world government. (admittedly, I don't not know the full context of those ideas, but that is how it appears to me).
I am not sure what you mean by this "one world government"?

At the beginning, there was only supposed to be 'one world government'....God's rulership over mankind. Man was not designed to rule himself, (Jer 10:23) nor was he designed to hold power over other humans.....power always corrupts him.

Adam chose another god and ruler, so God allowed us all to see the full consequences of his choice. This world is ruled by the wrong god. (Luke 4:6; 2 Cor 4:3, 4)

According to the Revelation, there will be an attempt by men to rule over the world with just one government. They will promise "peace and security" to a troubled world, but they will not deliver it. When it seems that the chaos will never end, God will step in and bring his rulership back to the earth. (Matt 24:21; 1 Thess 5:1-3; Dan 2:44)

True religion cannot be blended with false religion. God forbade his people to learn the ways of pagan nations. (Deut 18:9) When they tried to bring in false religious beliefs and practices, he punished them.

We have to separate from these things if we want to become sons and daughters of the true God. (2 Cor 6:14-18)

At the end of the day, it matters little what we personally want out of a religion or set of beliefs...what matters is what God thinks about it all.

Do you know why we have so many different belief systems in the world to begin with? It all started with just one one God and one set of beliefs. Men drifted away from God and introduced what they wanted to believe.
Christianity also started with just one set of beliefs....but look at it now! :eek: History repeats.

One strict religious view point is what God has always had. Look at the ancient nation of Israel. No one was free do worship "their" way. It was "God's way" or no way!

Man wanted to add things to broaden the definition and did so against God's express wishes. (Matt 7:13, 14) Did they learn from what happened to the Jewish nation? No, they followed them down the same path and split Christianity up into thousands of sects...all claiming to be truth. If Christ returned today, who would he recognize as his own?

Do you know why God confused the language at Babel? It wasn't because he wasn't fond of the language he had given them, but because they were using that language to defy their Creator's instructions. He told them to spread abroad in the earth, but they conspired together to stay put and to build cities and towers as monuments to themselves, so God forced them to spread out by confusing their language; those who understood one another moved away and colonized other regions. It accomplished God's will.

I am not sure what you mean by this "one world government"?

At the beginning, there was only supposed to be 'one world government'....God's rulership over mankind. Man was not designed to rule himself, (Jer 10:23) nor was he designed to hold power over other humans.....power always corrupts him.

Adam chose another god and ruler, so God allowed us all to see the full consequences of his choice. This world is ruled by the wrong god. (Luke 4:6; 2 Cor 4:3, 4)

According to the Revelation, there will be an attempt by men to rule over the world with just one government. They will promise "peace and security" to a troubled world, but they will not deliver it. When it seems that the chaos will never end, God will step in and bring his rulership back to the earth. (Matt 24:21; 1 Thess 5:1-3; Dan 2:44)

True religion cannot be blended with false religion. God forbade his people to learn the ways of pagan nations. (Deut 18:9) When they tried to bring in false religious beliefs and practices, he punished them.

We have to separate from these things if we want to become sons and daughters of the true God. (2 Cor 6:14-18)

Thank you for shedding a little more light on the one religion/government issue. As I mentioned, I wasn't too familiar with the topics. :)

I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to whether or not one looks at the Bible is inerrant or infallible. While there are many aspects of Christianity and the Bible that are to be respected, I am not able to accept this.

But wouldn't the UU community really fit the bill? I mean it sounds to me as if you've already found your home. You just haven't quite come to realize that yet.

Overall, you are right, UU does make for a good home. The only issue is that although everyone is openminded, they come into it with their own beliefs, which can be vastly different from my own. I still believe it could be possible to find more like minded individuals, it just make take some more work on my part.