• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Knowledge and Non-Believers.

I found this interesting. . .

Atheists and agnostics know more about religion than most other religious groups, while people who identify as “nothing in particular” are among the least knowledgeable. Out of 32 multiple-choice questions on the survey, atheists and agnostics get more than half right, on average (17.9 and 17.0 questions correct, respectively), while those who say their religion is “nothing in particular” get about a third correct (11.4 questions). This means that atheists and agnostics are among the highest scorers on the survey – along with Jews and evangelical Protestants – while those who say their religion is “nothing in particular” have some of the lowest scores. Americans overall get an average of 14.2 out of 32 questions right.

FT_19.08.21_ReligiousNones_Atheists-agnostics-score-higher-than-religious-nones-religious-knowledge-survey.png

Among religious ‘nones,’ atheists and agnostics know the most about religion

So why would the non-believers in this survey score higher than many other religious groups?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think there is a pattern to this that I have noted. The least worldly follow simplistic religion. The more worldly wise tend more to atheism/agnosticism. And following that there is a class of quite intelligent worldly people that support more sophisticated religious concepts.

These results seem to support what I have observed.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
One thing I find interesting is that those with a Jewish perspective out perform even atheists.

Atheists usually investigate the range of religious beliefs to more fully understand the perspectives of those around them. And, because they don't adhere to any of them, they can be more objective about and learn the history and teachings of the different religions. it is more of a sociological study than a personal search for truth.

I would be interested in why Jews do even better on these tests.

Any perspectives?

One thing I find interesting is that those with a Jewish perspective out perform even atheists.

Atheists usually investigate the range of religious beliefs to more fully understand the perspectives of those around them. And, because they don't adhere to any of them, they can be more objective about and learn the history and teachings of the different religions. it is more of a sociological study than a personal search for truth.

Any perspectives?

This is a stereotype and a generalization but the Jewish community seems to have a greater focus on education than many other groups.

If you look at these values:
FT_16.10.06_educationReligiousGroups.png

The most and least educated U.S. religious groups

You'll see the Jewish community is close to the top for an estimated percentage of adults with a college education.

Athiest might do so well just because whenever they say "God does not exist" they have a swarm of believers ready to debate them over it, and through all that repeated debating they just become more knowledgeable on the subject. While religious people sit around agreeing with either, which is never good for a healthy debate.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Any perspectives?
I'm thinking it is not so particular to 'religion' but Jews score higher on standardized tests of knowledge and IQ just in general.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

Any perspectives?

So when it comes to religious belief, followers of specific religions tend to strawman other beliefs to protect their belief in theirs. Especially Christians and Muslims in my experience because they aim to proselytise, so they need to have blinkers on to evangelise without being evangelised in return. So they will often read what their leaders and scholars say about another religion rather than seeking the info from the believers and scholars of a specific religion themselves. Plus religious people tend to be indoctrinated, especially the less educated they are, and indoctrination uses methods which prevents the believers from seeing the perceived enemy as what they actually are.

Atheists, because many praise critical thinking, obviously would see more religions for what they really are because otherwise they would be going against the method of critical thinking. But this is also limited because often with atheists, the agenda is to eliminate religion or oversimplify religion because they have a condescending attitude towards believers.

With regards to Jews, in general they are highly educated. Also, from what I have seen they tend not to care about other religions because they do not aim to evangelise. The only exception being Christianity because many feel that Christianity undermines fellow jews and try to draw them away from their faith.

These are just my perceptions but maybe there is truth to them?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Athiest might do so well just because whenever they say "God does not exist" they have a swarm of believers ready to debate them over it, and through all that repeated debating they just become more knowledgeable on the subject. While religious people sit around agreeing with either, which is never good for a healthy debate.

Well, I doubt that all atheists claim that "God does not exist".

Altfish

Veteran Member

Any perspectives?
My experience with a lot of Jews is that they are non-believers BUT still class themselves as Jews because of the cultural/family/community side of things.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Any perspectives?

^^^ this ^^^

Nova2216

Anyone who studies the bible can know the will of God (Eph. 3:3,4) (Eph.5:17).

While a higher education can be useful in life it is not necessary to understand the word of God (Jn 8:31,32 ; 6:44,45).

The reason most people do not know the word of God is they do not spend time studying the bible (2Tim. 2:15). Many people accept whatever their preacher says as truth and in many cases that can be dangerous (1Jn 4:1).

1Jo 4:1 ¶ Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Only true if the Bible is accurate.

What if it isn't?

Didn't you get the memo?
God's words are true. God's words in the Bible say it is God's words, therefore God's words in the Bible are true.

Yes, I know. ;) And so do you.

Thomas Theorem from Sociology: If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences.

In everyday words: As long as the consequences can actually take place, you can determine anything as real. E.g. the belief in witches and the burning of said witches.
That is how subjectivity works in theses cases. I could believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster and claim anything as true as from the Flying Spaghetti Monster and as long as the consequences can actually happen, it works.
Now that is not unique to religion. Ayn Rand's Objectivism is the "poster child" for playing around with truth within modern philosophy. If I recall right, Karl Marx did it too.(Note - I asked a Marxist and he gave a quote, where Marx cheated and declared something subjective objective.

In short to the following effect: You can declare something subjective objectively true as long as what follows as behavior works.

Anyone who studies the bible can know the will of God (Eph. 3:3,4) (Eph.5:17).

While a higher education can be useful in life it is not necessary to understand the word of God (Jn 8:31,32 ; 6:44,45).

The reason most people do not know the word of God is they do not spend time studying the bible (2Tim. 2:15). Many people accept whatever their preacher says as truth and in many cases that can be dangerous (1Jn 4:1).

1Jo 4:1 ¶ Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

I have more important things to do.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Any perspectives?
The Jews I know were forced by their parents to study
their religion for those coming of age parties. But we
atheists aren't compelled by anyone to study any religion.
It didn't interest me, so I'd score lower than any group.