• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Insensitivity

A Vestigial Mote

I'll once again ask you to source your accusation. Where have i argued ANYTHING about "what God wants!?'

You can seize another 'gotcha!' moment, or admit to a strawman..

Reason? ROFL!! Since when do progressive indoctrinees use reason? Ad hom, straw men, assertions, distortions, false accusations.. yes, but reason? :rolleyes:
Also, if I have mischaracterized your views on a specific subject, please just make me aware. If you don't always subscribe to what God says or dictates for humanity, then let me know that as well. If your positions, or opinions cause you to differ from the "norm" on what Christians seem to think God's opinion of a situation would be, I am all for hearing it, and your reasons for holding the position.

usfan

Also, if I have mischaracterized your views on a specific subject, please just make me aware. If you don't always subscribe to what God says or dictates for humanity, then let me know that as well
..how about you reply to what i actually SAY, instead of some caricature of 'fundie nutter!' of your own construction?
:shrug:

usfan

I prefer Inference.
Yes.. inference, allusion, plausibility.. all of these are preferred by progressives, rather than empirical reason..

Accusations can be tossed out casually, with no intention of supporting them, just plausibility and inference is sufficient to condemn.

A Vestigial Mote

..how about you reply to what i actually SAY, instead of some caricature of 'fundie nutter!' of your own construction?
What? I do respond to what you say. You keep calling atheists "progressive" and "belief-mandating" and I have consistently responded to this informing you why you are entirely wrong. And otherwise, I have mostly advocated for using reasoned and evidenced arguments and appeals to logic and realism, and said that I don't feel that any invocation of "deity" or argument on religious grounds is ever sufficient for resolving public issues. You keep arguing that Christianity is being persecuted and marginalized, and keep telling you exactly why it is the case that such views are no longer being accepted outright as "correct" and reason why we cannot allow that to be the case ever again if things are to remain fair and equitable within our diverse society.

In other words, you've mostly just been standing on your soapbox yelling the same complaints over and over again and not actually providing ANY reasons why your position is at all worthwhile.

A Vestigial Mote

Also, I'd like to point out that I have been the one responding nearly line-by-line and point by point to your posts. You tend to answer as a great many theists tend to do - either picking one, single point they find to be the "Weakest link" in the argument and ignoring everything else that has made their position look ignorant/foolish, or not responding to any point made and simply restating something about "persecution", or simply saying something like "I don't have to respond to you because you're being immature/mean/insulting" - usually following some statement about how they aren't intimidated by non-believers, and aren't afraid to respond to anything and everything, and they are the ones with the reasoned arguments - all while bringing NOTHING into the conversation to prove it.

usfan

I have been the one responding nearly line-by-line and point by point to your posts. You tend to answer as a great many theists tend to do - either picking one, single point
.. fine.

I don't have the time or the passion to address every single barrage of accusations you throw at me. I point out a few, and skip the rest. But i can solve this by not replying to you at all, if you prefer..

You skip over and ignore a great many of my points, so this is another 'pot, kettle, black' situation.

A Vestigial Mote

You skip over and ignore a great many of my points, so this is another 'pot, kettle, black' situation.
I'd be surprised if you could find one, honestly. Not trying to be insulting here or condescending or anything. I would, honestly, be surprised. I tried to be thorough. If there is anything I missed I'd actually like to know so that I can discern what it was that I ignored and perhaps figure out why or how I missed it.

Road Less Traveled

I'm a strong, independent little Femboy who isn't afraid to eat his crow dinner in front of others. Anyway, I think some of the religious people on this forum, not all, are a little upset by the deep expressions against Christianity lately. I'm a skeptic that this frustration was always channeled in the best, most clearest way by them. However now that I've thought it over, I personally, whether or not anyone else does, have to choose my sense of morality over my ideology. For that reason, I support their view and fathom it may create peace for both sides to be less flippant. And maybe, possibly, the Christians even have it right that the nonChristians started it, but I really can't say for sure, nor do I want to say for sure, because it wouldn't be fair to both sides to say.

I don't really think the staff can help these particular matters too much other than dousing the occasional fire as at some point, we need the freedom to look at ourselves and what we seem to be doing. It's much more personal and touchy-feely to do so, and I think leads to more long-term progress.

I don't fathom I'll make many friends from this topic, but oh well. Atheists may see the topic as me not supporting them when actually, I think it may create a less hostile environment for both groups, so guess I'm demonstrating that tough love everyone hates in my pursuit of my greatest understanding of things.

I'm inviting @usfan to this topic but ask him to try to keep it civilized if possible too.

My 2c.

Some can believe or have faith in the most ridiculous sounding of things yet have decent morale and character. Rather than the title one may give themselves, or the beliefs one may quietly have or don’t have or share, the lack of evidence one may have or the evidence another may have, what it takes to satiate another.... it ultimately comes down to one’s intent, character and nature for me personally.

At least in my understanding, with sensible maturity comes the inability to be offended by words. I understand this isn’t the case in many though, so then empathy will result and I’d rather ignore and not entice or stir up that offense or weakness that arises in another. And I’ve been there before where I’d get stirred up and have that weakness.

Road Less Traveled

A lot of ‘religious’ insensitivity comes from the attempt to sell onto another. Yet many are under no obligation to listen to it, respond to it, let alone convert to it. It can become easy to simply not be offended, smile, ignore, say no thanks.

Neutral Name

I'm a strong, independent little Femboy who isn't afraid to eat his crow dinner in front of others. Anyway, I think some of the religious people on this forum, not all, are a little upset by the deep expressions against Christianity lately. I'm a skeptic that this frustration was always channeled in the best, most clearest way by them. However now that I've thought it over, I personally, whether or not anyone else does, have to choose my sense of morality over my ideology. For that reason, I support their view and fathom it may create peace for both sides to be less flippant. And maybe, possibly, the Christians even have it right that the nonChristians started it, but I really can't say for sure, nor do I want to say for sure, because it wouldn't be fair to both sides to say.

I don't really think the staff can help these particular matters too much other than dousing the occasional fire as at some point, we need the freedom to look at ourselves and what we seem to be doing. It's much more personal and touchy-feely to do so, and I think leads to more long-term progress.

I don't fathom I'll make many friends from this topic, but oh well. Atheists may see the topic as me not supporting them when actually, I think it may create a less hostile environment for both groups, so guess I'm demonstrating that tough love everyone hates in my pursuit of my greatest understanding of things.

I'm inviting @usfan to this topic but ask him to try to keep it civilized if possible too.

My 2c.

I love your attitude. Peace is important.

Neutral Name

My 2c.
I hadn't considered that. Most people involved in the debate seem firm in their beliefs. Perhaps someone in the audience would convert because of it?

In politics there's a phrase that gets tossed around: "Strong and Wrong". The idea is that people follow and emulate strength even if it's wrong. But I'm not sure that means that people shouldn't speak with authority.

In general, I think people who's pure objective is to criticize, not to contribute, are few. And I think they expose themselves sooner or later. Their superiority complex leaks out just like anyone else.

I do criticize Christians who are not Christians and I believe that Jesus would do the same thing. Those who have no love in their hearts are not Christians and they speak the loudest. I love true Christians who follow Jesus and believe in the love that he preached but they are meek and humble as Jesus said to be. So, they are not heard. Christianity is not the problem. Hypocrites calling themselves Christians are the problem.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

My 2c.

The people who write articles like this who claim everyone else is being insensitive, tend to be the first to suppress and censor opinions they don't like from my experience.

I was watching a movie last night where this guy was this girl's husband and he'd move from country to country, and just afterwards, these countries would mysteriously become property of the Nazis. That is, he was a social engineer who was effective at getting governments to collaborate against their people's interests. The wife finally figures this out and there's this scene where she's on a boat and confronts him. And he talks about how individuals are dangerous, but what is more dangerous is the right to speak. Btw, this guy eventually gets thrown overboard, after he tries to get rid of said woman.

I'm nonbinary too. But I pretty sure do not use my status as an excuse to tell people about "religious insensitivity" while many Jews and Christians have already been crucified, but it's not okay to speak bad of certain groups doing the crucifying.