• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Insensitivity

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
....But I have created a tricky subject for myself. People read my posts, and if I side with Christians, I might upset the nonChristians, if I side with nonChristians, it might upset the Christians. Words have weight, even the worst ideas sometimes change the world.
Hence the importance of not only respecting your own opinion and acting in accordance with your convictions, but also loving yourself first since no one can always count on the love of others.

In short, just because some people are both sides are idiots is not justification for you to be one too. Do what you believe to be best and always continue to do your best. Accept the consequences for what they are.

usfan

It's a balance...to share a resource we must accept a mutual agreement as to how to share it fairly. That includes limitations on our free speech where it negatively impacts the right to free speech of others. That includes having to pay taxes for emergency services th as t you might never need. Etc...

I think your arguments are based on a black and white view of a much more nuanced reality.
:shrug:
What 'arguments? That's just a broad brush smear, with no detail.

You implied legislsted morality should be a majority consensus, which i agreed with. Then you praised the efficiency of homogeneity of belief, for machinery.

I don't see that we need to all fall in line with a state mandated belief, but I'm old school American. I don't see the correlation of believing the same with efficient machines. They are 2 different things.

So point out the flaws in my reasoning, if you can, but an ad hom smear, with no specifics, is a fallacy. You condemn yourself in criticizing me..

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@usfan ,

One thing I have noticed, take it or leave it...

Assumptions lead to stereotypes. Stereotypes lead to bigotry.

It is slightly hypocritical to accuse people of bigotry while at the same time making claims based on stereotypes.

Your comments in this thread that about progressives seem to be based on a stereotype. Seem to be... I don't know you well enough to say for sure.

usfan

@usfan ,
One thing I have noticed, take it or leave it...
Assumptions lead to stereotypes. Stereotypes lead to bigotry.
It is slightly hypocritical to accuse people of bigotry while at the same time making claims based on stereotypes.
Your comments in this thread that about progressives seem to be based on a stereotype. Seem to be... I don't know you well enough to say for sure.
Are you stereotyping me? ;)

Specifics would help.. show me where i have 'attacked!!', some poor, innocent progressive, without provocation.. ..or hypocritically stereotyped anyone.. :shrug:

I've responded to some ad hominem, false narratives against Christianity, a few straw men, but nowhere have i needled or belittled anyone for their progressive beliefs. I point out the FALSE narratives, about xtianity, and attribute that to indoctrination.. which it is. Reality bites, at times.. ;)

But true ecumenical unity needs a scapegoat, and i am happy to oblige, if that is the goal..
:D

Are we getting ready for another kumbaya moment? Or am i to be excluded again? ... :(

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Specifics would help.. show me where i have 'attacked!!', some poor, innocent progressive, without provocation.. ..or hypocritically stereotyped anyone.. :shrug:

A week or two ago, I did feel hurt by the rigorous use of the term "Progressive indoctrinees!".

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Are you stereotyping me? ;)

The label "Progessive indoctinees" seems to be a stereotype. And I am basing that solely on this thread. I honestly am not participating nor following the threads where you are posting. I know very little about you or your writing.

usfan

Define a good argument in your eyes, please.

Here are some examples of generalizations.. or 'stereotyping', if you prefer.. a specific argument was not addressed, or rebutted, but a subtle jab at the 'stereotype', or group, or individual targeted for disparagement.

How can a poster rebut, or make an argument with a vague generality about their mental state, motivations, secret agenda, or hat size?

I think your arguments are based on a black and white view of a much more nuanced reality.
:shrug: what arguments? Specifics, please.
So we've got one side who considers the religious texts a great form of proof.
Who? I never do that. I only quote someone else, including the bible, to show what they said, not as an argument of authority.
Your comments in this thread that about progressives seem to be based on a stereotype.
:shrug:
What comments?

Any charge against a poster (which is an ad hominem deflection, at its root), should be clearly evidenced, not just thrown at them as a narrative.

Due process, and presumption of Innocence, are the Olde English, Magna Carta principles.. but i realize in Progresso World , those are archaic principles. Now, the simple accusation is enough to imply guilt. ;)

usfan

The label "Progessive indoctinees" seems to be a stereotype. And I am basing that solely on this thread. I honestly am not participating nor following the threads where you are posting. I know very little about you or your writing.
I coined the phrase as a return label for all the cutesy labels from.. well.. progressive indoctrinees.. :shrug:

I hear,
Fundie Nutter!
Extremist!
Bible Thumper!
Superstitious!
Hater!
Denier!

..and a host of others that don't deserve airtime. These are tossed about casually by adherents of the progressive school of thought (sic), so 'indoctrinee', is not really inaccurate.

I guess the real problem, is that i can be smeared with these insults, and am expected to take it as good natured jesting, but if i return a truth based possibility, it stings, and howls of protest erupt.

IOW, i should take it, but can't dish it out.. that is the double standard among progressive indoctrinees, and it forces me to type with one hand tied behind my back, and use only part of my brain, to level the field. ;)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I coined the phrase as a return label for all the cutesy labels from.. well.. progressive indoctrinees.. :shrug:

I hear,
Fundie Nutter!
Extremist!
Bible Thumper!
Superstitious!
Hater!
Denier!

..and a host of others that don't deserve airtime. These are tossed about casually by adherents of the progressive school of thought (sic), so 'indoctrinee', is not really inaccurate.

I guess the real problem, is that i can be smeared with these insults, and am expected to take it as good natured jesting, but if i return a truth based possibility, it stings, and howls of protest erupt.

IOW, i should take it, but can't dish it out.. that is the double standard among progressive indoctrinees, and it forces me to type with one hand tied behind my back, and use only part of my brain, to level the field. ;)
Double standards... I totally hate that. for me, and I mean, this is just my opinion...

I don't think it is good form to be the first person using a stereotype, smear, label. And I think each thread should be treated as a fresh start.

Anticipating that the smear is coming is similar to "signaling tidbits of superiority" that was spoken about earlier in this thread. Even if an individual uses smears, stereotypes, and labels in a previous thread; assuming that this same individual in the current thread has not recognized their flaw and resolved to abstain from it is, IMHO, not fair play.

If a person is signaling that they are going to smear, stereotype, or label, maybe, the appropriate response is to signal back that it has been noticed?

( However this requires subtlety, skill, and practice of which I am still developing myself... )

usfan

A week or two ago, I did feel hurt by the rigorous use of the term "Progressive indoctrinees!".
I used that phrase the same as i did in this thread:
Return fire.

If progressive indoctrinees don't want to hear it from me, they should use reason and on topic arguments, not ad hominem laced deflections and cutesy smear labels.
I first used this term here this morning, toward a poster who called me a hypocrite. :shrug:
I feel no compulsion to be a passive target for bigoted smears. I will defend myself, you, the OP, and Christianity from these hostile false caricatures and smears.. not always.. not enough time to respond to every one. I don't have the time and energy to resist the unrelenting propaganda streams that typify these forums..
Anticipating that the smear is coming is similar to "signaling tidbits of superiority" that was spoken about earlier in this thread.
I anticipated nothing. I'm much simpler than that. Someone lobs some ad hom grenades, i pull the pins and lob them back.. ;)

Here is the exchange where i first used 'progressive indoctrinees!', in this thread:
You, however, are the one who is hypocritical about it. I at least ridicule and expect to be ridiculed. You ridicule and then expect everyone to bathe your feet for you.
:rolleyes:
Now, now.. you were doing so well.. sticking to critiquing ideology, and avoiding ad hom. But perhaps you needed a fix .. ;)
ROFL!!
Bathe my feet? You think i expect accolades and respect? LOL!!
On internet forums?
Bwahahahaha!!..
Hardly. :rolleyes:

I EXPECT mocking, ridicule, and fallacies, from progressive indoctrinees, because that is almost ALWAYS what i get.
I point it out, from time to time, but i do not expect it to change, and i expect (and give) no quarter. You want a debate with me, bring it, but you better have some reason.. fallacies won't cut it with me, and lame ad hominem is a deathbed confession of defeat.
/shakes head/ ..hypocrisy.. you think i shrink from controversy, or the hostile bigotry from these anti-christian pretenders?
Lob your ad hom grenades all you want. I'll just pull the pins and lob them back.. ;)
Is this just a call out thread, for the phrase, 'progressive indoctrinees!?' :shrug: you were waiting for me to use it to pounce, with an 'aha! Gotcha! moment?

Why no indignation and reproof for the THOUSANDS of constant, unrelenting expressions of scorn and derision from the anti-christian hordes? Why single out my mild by comparison retort?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I used that phrase the same as i did in this thread:
Return fire.

If progressive indoctrinees don't want to hear it from me, they should use reason and on topic arguments, not ad hominem laced deflections and cutesy smear labels.

I first used this term here this morning, toward a poster who called me a hypocrite. :shrug:
I feel no compulsion to be a passive target for bigoted smears. I will defend myself, you, the OP, and Christianity from these hostile false caricatures and smears.. not always.. not enough time to respond to every one. I don't have the time and energy to resist the unrelenting propaganda streams that typify these forums..

I anticipated nothing. I'm much simpler than that. Someone lobs some ad hom grenades, i pull the pins and lob them back.. ;)

Here is the exchange where i first used 'progressive indoctrinees!', in this thread:

Is this just a call out thread, for the phrase, 'progressive indoctrinees!?' :shrug: you were waiting for me to use it to pounce, with an 'aha! Gotcha! moment?

Why no indignation and reproof for the THOUSANDS of constant, unrelenting expressions of scorn and derision from the anti-christian hordes? Why single out my mild by comparison retort?
well, i didn't mean to single you out, bro.
i'm sorry if it came off that way.
carry on.