• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious holidays

Polarbear

What is the purpose of religious holidays? What is a good (religious) holiday celebration in your opinion? Which of your religion's holidays do you prefer and why?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the purpose of religious holidays?

Commemoration of a significant event in the history of the religion.

What is a good (religious) holiday celebration in your opinion?

One that reflects the spirit of the holiday in a religious, not secular way. I prefer those holidays that can be celebrated at temple with the priests performing the pujas, and with the temple satsang (congregation). I have no family with which to celebrate at home, as a family.

Which of your religion's holidays do you prefer and why?

Diwali because it celebrates and commemorates a couple of events, including the triumphal return of Sri Ramaraja to Ayodhya, to overwhelming celebration by His subjects; Lakshmi Puja during Diwali because it honors Maa Lakshmi, the goddess who brings good fortune (not only material, but spiritual good fortune); Krishnashtami, the birth of Krishna.

Levite

Higher and Higher
What is the purpose of religious holidays? What is a good (religious) holiday celebration in your opinion? Which of your religion's holidays do you prefer and why?

I presume it's not over-reaching to imagine that religious holidays either commemorate some significant event in the history of the religion, or serve to mark the cycle of the calendar (new year, new month, new season, etc.), or are observed in order to accomplish at specific times some specific agenda or goal instituted for spiritual growth or benefit.

I suppose a successful holiday celebration is one in which those purposes are carried out, and the participants feel that their actions have been meaningful and spiritually nourishing for them.

For me, as to my favorite celebrations...I guess it's a tie. My favorite holiday is probably Shabbat (the sabbath), which is celebrated every seventh day (Saturday). It serves as a weekly opportunity to rest, draw away from the regular tribulations of life, and focus on the good and the spiritually nourishing. It's a real lifesaver: helps keep me sane. But otherwise, I guess my favorite holidays are the High Holidays (Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, the paired holidays sometimes called the Days of Awe, celebrated in the early autumn, which are the annual festivals dedicated to introspection, self-improvement, seeking forgiveness for sins, focusing ourselves on living better lives in the coming year, and acknowledging God's roles as Creator and sovereign of the universe). I like their solemnity, the opportunities for self-reflection and inner work, and I like the music and liturgy.

Shuddhasattva

In my opinion, religious holidays should always be astrological (based on the movement of divinized planets/etc., as figured into the calendar we devise around them), whether or not they are based on historical or mythological events.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I don't know, not much of a holiday-er, I'll throw a party whenever I want, no need for a specific day. I guess Christmas is pretty cool.

I would've said my favorite holiday is Independence Day, but that's not really religious.

arthra

Baha'i

In my view Holy Days serve to unite communities and offer the believers a spiritual uplift and celebration of the soul. One of my favorite Holy Days is Naw-Ruz because it is the Baha'i New Year we observe on the vernal equinox.. It's one of the more ancient Holy Days observed in the Zoroastrian religion as well....and among Shiah Muslims.

So in Naw-Ruz we recognize the coming of Spring..new growth and beauty and an end to winter, also, we end our Nineteen Day Fast on Naw-Ruz so having a community feast on Naw_ruz is especially welcome by all.

[youtube]f6pLqi6xmv0[/youtube]
Naw-Ruz-Baha'i New Year. - YouTube

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I like Thanksgiving. I am thankful everyday for having enough, but it is nice to have a special day for it. But you don't have to be religious to celebrate it. I'm personally thankful to God as well as family, etc. But, if you choose, you don't have to bring God into it.

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path

You call them "religious holidays", I call them "Hallmark holidays".

The birthday, is the most important holiday.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

I'd say that the purposes vary, depending on the holiday and the religion. They can celebrate past events (Chunakah), encourage community and religious tradition (Passover), or be an active petition or request (Yom Kippur).

Good celebration, in my opinion, is one where the participants are emotionally and spiritually invested, and they benefit, both emotionally and spiritually, from it.

As for my favorite holidays, I'd have to say Shabbat, for the spiritual connection and refreshment I find in it, Passover, for the communal celebration and religious heritage, and Rosh Hashanah, for the feeling of awe and renewal.

Nerthus

Wanderlust

The purpose is to remember and commemorate a significant event.

I don't like the way most religious holidays have become so commercial. I do buy presents, and Easter eggs etc, but I do try and focus on what it actually means. I guess this is what I would consider a good holiday celebration - staying true to the meaning. Not that this needs to be old fashioned, and archaic.

I love Christmas. The feel, the meaning, the peace, the sense of joy. It's a mix of traditional sense, and excitement, and it makes me so happy to have family and be here.

Polarbear

Okay thanks for your answers guys! Oh and btw my favourite holiday is Christmas, mostly because of the food and the family aspect though, but the solstice a few days earlier is nice too, mostly for nostalgic reasons. Also I love the dark winter nights when you can see the full moon shinning brightly in the sky, it's amazing! :D