• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious hats?

Psalm23

These are the sort of veils Catholic women traditionally wear at church:
Chapel-Veil-660x350-1516937080.png

They're called chapel veils. They are expected if you're going to a Latin Mass, but not with the Novus Ordo Mass. They're still commonly worn in strongly Catholic cultures, and younger women are reviving the practice as a sign of their traditional beliefs. Orthodox women wear much the same sort of veils at church, too.

Those are pretty .

ppp

Does practising your religion require the wearing of some type of hat, headdress or covering?

If so, why?

And do you personally observe this requirement?

My religion doesn't :D
This is a really good question, and I am sorry that it has not gotten more love. Hunting down anthropological papers on the significance of religious head coverings across societies and time is now on my list of things to be done.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
What’s that old meme?
Religion is just a world wide competition to see who can come up with the silliest hat!
1C52C8F7-C1FF-4D90-AE0E-EEC315A0054B.jpeg

(This comment is in jest!!)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Well, as a Pastafarian, there is the optional colander hat the judge told me I could wear to jury duty. It wasn't relevant, so I didn't wear it.

firedragon

Veteran Member
What tradition is he from? I almost always hold my hands like that when I meditate, but have no idea why, other than it feels 'right'.

I could totally rock that hat.

According to Buddhism the Buddha used to do a meditation called paradhukka dhukkitha which is a standing meditation with your hands across your chest like a cross, while thinking about sadness.

PruePhillip

Does practising your religion require the wearing of some type of hat, headdress or covering?

If so, why?

And do you personally observe this requirement?

My religion doesn't :D

Thankfully Jesus wasn't 'religious.'
No funny hats to 'show' His importance.
Jesus did not stand out from anyone else, no, not even a halo over his head.