• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious hats?

Viker

Häxan
I occasionally where hooded cloaks, veils or a fedora.

PSX_20220917_185317.jpg

There's no obligatory dress code in my religion. People wear whatever they feel like.

Psalm23

Does practising your religion require the wearing of some type of hat, headdress or covering?

If so, why?

And do you personally observe this requirement?

My religion doesn't :D

In some forms of Christianity women wear a church hat during service. It's seen as following a particular Scripture passage.

I don't follow this view. I'm uncomfortable wearing a hat in church services. I have seen a man remove a hat as a form of respect before prayer.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
In some forms of Christianity women wear a church hat during service. It's seen as following a particular Scripture passage.

I don't follow this view. I'm uncomfortable wearing a hat in church services. I have seen a man remove a hat as a form of respect before prayer.

What's a church hat, and what does the passage say?

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Does practising your religion require the wearing of some type of hat, headdress or covering?

No. If any religion requires that I wear something on or over my head all the time, I would not follow that religion. Likewise, I would not follow one that requires wearing footware all the time. If I cannot let my skin breathe, the religion is shallow, in my least humble opinion.

I don't feel comfortable wearing hats.

Same here.

I'm not a Singh. ;)

Singhs don't wear hats; they wrap dastaars.

Psalm23

What's a church hat, and what does the passage say?

A church hat is a hat that women wear in church services. The are some lovely and fancy hats for that purpose.

The tradition is based off the passage in
1 Corinthians 11:3-16.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
LOL! If my religion required a hat, veil, head covering, bare-headedness, or any other proscribed outfit, I'd be the first to break that "requirement."

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I used to hope that I would unravel the reason for that. For a long time I wondered about it and its significance. But when I got ideas I almost immediately forgot. So there was never really any point in trying to figure it. Facts like these are sometimes like driftwood that only comes out of the surf on beautiful mornings and has no bearing on the day's labor.

But I seem to be remembering some things about hats and their similarity to goat hair tents. Let us suppose for a moment that a hat is not a hat but a piece of a tent that is a home. You know how in ancient Mesopotamia people used to live in tents made of patches of woven hair (goat hair)? So you could think of yourself as a part of a home. The hat that early Christian women wore could have been a mark of some commitment, such as a commitment to have a certain type of home. This is just a guess. I would put it under your hat and consider it at a later time, perhaps when you know more or enough to say that it is bunk or not. Obviously it is conjecture.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Different sects in Hinduism have different ways to cover the head, different head dresses, during worship or rituals. But we are good at finding substitutes. A handkerchief can do that, and if that too is not available, people will put their own hands on their head. All that is OK to show respect.
male head dresses in India, Asia - Google Search

4870113550_e624109c61_c.jpg
sister-applying-tilak-on-her-brothers-forehead-during-raksha-bandhan-video-id966498770

Last edited:

Messianic Israelite

If so, why?

Good afternoon Eddi. Have you never read 1 Corinthians 11:4-9?

"4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head. 7 A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of Yahweh; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man."

It used to be that many Chr-stians followed this command. Women would have head coverings, not necessarily hats, but also lace etc at least when they would attend services, or praying. Men would take off any head covering. Today, very few faiths do this. My faith continues to do this because we are commanded to in the Word. This is Yahweh's Will. Women and men are different. The Bible, all the way from the Torah, teaches headship.

firedragon

Veteran Member

If so, why?

For some people, practicing their religion requires a head dress of some sort. Like catholic nuns, some muslim women, some muslim men, and various types of people. A lot of them also practice projectionism.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Not for laity, although women traditionally covered their hair in church and many still do.
These are the sort of veils Catholic women traditionally wear at church:
Chapel-Veil-660x350-1516937080.png

They're called chapel veils. They are expected if you're going to a Latin Mass, but not with the Novus Ordo Mass. They're still commonly worn in strongly Catholic cultures, and younger women are reviving the practice as a sign of their traditional beliefs. Orthodox women wear much the same sort of veils at church, too.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
These are the sort of veils Catholic women traditionally wear at church:
Chapel-Veil-660x350-1516937080.png

They're called chapel veils. They are expected if you're going to a Latin Mass, but not with the Novus Ordo Mass. They're still commonly worn in strongly Catholic cultures, and younger women are reviving the practice as a sign of their traditional beliefs. Orthodox women wear much the same sort of veils at church, too.

Those are pretty, too!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
My favorite head dress is undoubtedly that of Indigenous nations because unlike most others there is a story to be told as well.