• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Religious Freedom) Now a crime in VA to attend services?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
My answers were straight forward and true. No spin.

A non-christian can have an opinion. But when they move into the area of using the Bible which they reject as the Word of God, against the believer, their opinion means very little, if anything at all.

Good-Ole-Rebel
same old spin.

You should get a new song and dance.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
same old spin.

You should get a new song and dance.
With his millenial snowflake ultra level of selfish entitlement, I doubt very much that he will. Might as well add in a teenager mentailty as well while I'm at it given the "you just don't understand."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have already said the Christians here in Texas are not breaking any law. But if it ever became law that we cannot meet, then I believe that is a line we have to cross.

If you want to call me special, that's fine. All I am saying is we are Christian.

Good-Ole-Rebel
You're saying way more than that you're a Christian. Like that you give not one **** of you make someone sick. But, I'm not surprised. The history of Christiany as a whole is rife with Christians mistreating, assaulting, butchering, torturing, and slaughtering people, many of then innocent and changed of fake and impossible crimes.

Good-Ole-Rebel

That has zero weight and enforcement in American law. We go by the Constitution, not the Mayflower Compact, not the Articles of Confederation.

It shows America was founded on Christianity.

You're saying way more than that you're a Christian. Like that you give not one **** of you make someone sick. But, I'm not surprised. The history of Christiany as a whole is rife with Christians mistreating, assaulting, butchering, torturing, and slaughtering people, many of then innocent and changed of fake and impossible crimes.

Have you been taking your meds?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It shows America was founded on Christianity.
The Mayflower Compact is not a document of legal bearing in the United States, nor does it suggest that the United States was established as Christian nation. To the contrary, we have written and signed documents from those who did establish this country's sovereignty stating explicitly that is not the case.

Good-Ole-Rebel

The Mayflower Compact is not a document of legal bearing in the United States, nor does it suggest that the United States was established as Christian nation. To the contrary, we have written and signed documents from those who did establish this country's sovereignty stating explicitly that is not the case.

I don't want to hijack this thread. As I said, start another under this topic and I will respond.

Good-Ole-Rebel

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
In many states, gathering has been restricted to under 50 ppl because of that virus. However, two news articles have made it to the surface.
The first is that in California, they are apparently turning off power and running water to people who don't close their businesses. What about people whose business is their home? You know, people who run a restaurant and live upstairs?
The second is more relevant to religious freedom. You see, in Virginia, that number got reduced down to about 10 people. Many other states also did this, so fair enough. But many other states like Michigan and Texas admitted that this doesn't apply to religious establishments. This ought to be correct. We have a little thing called separation of church and state, freedom of religion, and freedom of assembly. This ought to be unconstitutional even if it did prevent disease. Nahhhh, let's walk all over those rights! In Virginia, if 11 people show up to church, all of them are felons and can expect to be jailed or fined $2500!

Virginia governor makes attending church a criminal offense

He says this, but Northam has repeatedly pushed back deadlines, and I imagine he'd like it if churches closed indefinitely. As it stands, many will due to lack of funds. Anyone thinking atheism isn't a religion only has to look at how no such restrictions are made to the ABC store (which pays into his salary, and thus is an "essential business") but seems hellbent to get rid of churches. If that doesn't look like a rival religion, I dunno what does. Also, turns out it's racist. The ones most likely staying open are black Baptist churches (Episcopal and Methodists have all closed). Blackface Northam strikes again!

Yes, maybe some people do need to exercise precaution. But we cannot be allowed to overturn the Bill of Rights (in US) or other civil rights in other countries. Once you lose such freedoms, there is precedent for it, and you have trouble getting them back. We do have the right to assemble. And we do have right to religion. Probably there is an expectation that people will do it using social media, but not everyone is tech savvy.

In the mean time, I'll leave you this video. It's very disturbing, as it shows the unsettling event of the major church handing down edicts to backwoods churches. Will monastic groups be forced to split apart when they have no contact with the outside world and are unlikely to get sick?

From the Jewish perspective, the preservation of life even transcends most Jewish laws such as the observation of Shabbat and keeping kosher.

The instructions on minimal gatherings are meant to prevent human deaths from a grave illness. Defying is an act of incredible selfishness and deserves some sort of forceful response in order to bring into compliance, since the right to life is more important than freedom of religion or right to assembly.

I have no sympathy for those who endanger the lives of others.

IndigoChild5559

I have already said the Christians here in Texas are not breaking any law. But if it ever became law that we cannot meet, then I believe that is a line we have to cross.

If you want to call me special, that's fine. All I am saying is we are Christian.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Since when has Christianity taught it is okay to cause the deaths of others?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Since when has Christianity taught it is okay to cause the deaths of others?

Why are Christians here in Texas causing the death of others and those going to the grocery store, and hardware stores, and liquor stores, and doctors, and policeman, and fireman, and truck drivers, and etc. etc. etc. , are not?

Good-Ole-Rebel

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Why are Christians here in Texas causing the death of others and those going to the grocery store, and hardware stores, and liquor stores, and doctors, and policeman, and fireman, and truck drivers, and etc. etc. etc. , are not?

Good-Ole-Rebel
Why are you afraid the answer the question?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
From the Jewish perspective, the preservation of life even transcends most Jewish laws such as the observation of Shabbat and keeping kosher.
As Catholicism also teaches, especially since one can easily worship at home instead of endangering the lives of others.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Good-Ole-Rebel
Do Texan Christians never go to the store or man emergency services?
Your post implies that they don't. I'm sure that they do.

The difference is that everyone needs to shop and needs emergency help. Nobody needs concerts, church, theatre, or political rallies.
Tom

IndigoChild5559

Good-Ole-Rebel
Going to the grocery store (IOW to eat), etc., is necessary to save lives. Going to church isn't. All the places you listed are completely necessary in some regard to the necessary sustaining of necessary life. Church just isn't, since a church can worship via Facebook or Zoom.

Is it exactly the same? Of course not. The fellowship aspect is gravely impaired. But the thing is, that's the whole point of social distancing. We all must make this sacrifice.

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

Do Texan Christians never go to the store or man emergency services?
Your post implies that they don't. I'm sure that they do.

The difference is that everyone needs to shop and needs emergency help. Nobody needs concerts, church, theatre, or political rallies.
Tom

I never said Christians don't go to the store. We can legally do so. But, we can legally go to church also.

OK. So you admit that you and others who go to the grocery store and hardware stores are causing the death of others. Correct?

But, that is ok. You just don't want those Christians meeting and causing the death of others. Right? In other words, you just don't want Christians to meet. You don't mind that you are causing the death of others.

The state of Texas disagrees with you and considers religious gatherings as an essential. Yet you still b***h. Of course if it was illegal you would be raising hell about it, but you and others have showed it doesn't matter if it's illegal or not. You just want those Christians to stay home and be afraid just like you are.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Going to the grocery store (IOW to eat), etc., is necessary to save lives. Going to church isn't. All the places you listed are completely necessary in some regard to the necessary sustaining of necessary life. Church just isn't, since a church can worship via Facebook or Zoom.

Is it exactly the same? Of course not. The fellowship aspect is gravely impaired. But the thing is, that's the whole point of social distancing. We all must make this sacrifice.

All the places listed are necessary for sustaining our physical lives. For the Christian we have our spiritual lives that are more important. You don't care for Church whether there is Corona or not. You are no different than the atheists and pagans.

No, Church cannot worship via Facebook and the same thing results. It is necessary to meet. If your Judaism lets you get your spiritual needs from a monitor, that is fine. The Christian needs the actual meeting. The ministry of the Holy Spirit through other believers. Oh...but you don't believe that. Thus your empty response.

Have you not understood that in Texas we can go to Church? What is your complaint?

Good-Ole-Rebel

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
OK. So you admit that you and others who go to the grocery store and hardware stores are causing the death of others. Correct?
Yes.
Any kind of interaction could, and probably will, result in the spread of the virus. And that spread will near certainly result in people dying. Possibly not even from the virus itself. If hospitals are overwhelmed by sick people, people could die simply because the hospital couldn't adequately care for everyone.

That's where people deliberately spreading the virus come in. Even if the people who get sick from spring break parties or church don't die, they're using up available health care and other resources.
People who get the virus while doing needful things, like grocery shopping, are like car wreck victims who get into an accident on their way to work. People who get the virus at a social gathering, like church or a concert, are like car wreck victims who get into an accident while driving drunk. They knew that they shouldn't do it, but decided to do it anyways.

The law says don't. The reason for that law is easily available. But some people decide that what they want matters more than the common good.

I never said Christians don't go to the store. We can legally do so. But, we can legally go to church also.
And it was once legal for Texans to own slaves. 'Nuff said.
Tom