• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Freedom: does it exist?

GABRIEL2012

Freedom of Religion is continuously debated in America’s society. Man has his natural laws of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, but he is not always allowed to express his religious aspects. It is common courtesy in today’s society to respect others "social peace" and do ones best not to offend one another. However, this seems to be stretched to the point of limiting freedom of religious expression. People are bothered by some religious expression. I have peers who, at the beginning of prayer, say "please prepare yourself in the manner you are accustomed, unless your Muslim." this shocked me to the point of asking that person if he was serious and he informed me that him and several others were "made uncomfortable" by religious expression from certain religions. This made me realize that maybe religion is not as free as we think. So please respond to this prompt below:

-To what extent is our freedom of religion in America limited by society’s ideal of "social peace"?-

Feel free to give examples of your personal religious limitations placed upon you.
Thank you
Gabriel

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Religious freedom in the US?
Yes....mostly. What we have is good enuf for me.
I don't expect to see an openly atheistic person elected to a major political office in my lifetime.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Religious freedom, like every other freedom (press, speech, expression, etc) is limited by it's impact upon others.

Absolute freedom is anarchy.
Responsible freedom is more in line with our representative republic and the "social contract".

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Religious freedom, like every other freedom (press, speech, expression, etc) is limited by it's impact upon others.

Absolute freedom is anarchy.
Responsible freedom is more in line with our representative republic and the "social contract".

this.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
I've always thought about "freedom of religion" to mean that you can't legally enforce religious law upon people, in other words people always have a choice when it comes to anything religious-oriented.

The tricky part is drawing the line as to when and how someone is trying to enforce religious laws/beliefs upon someone else. Overall, I think America does a good job of freedom of religion.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Freedom of Religion is continuously debated in America’s society.
Really? Care to give us some examples?

Man has his natural laws of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, but he is not always allowed to express his religious aspects.
Sure he is, but not in all places and at all times; just as one cannot lawfully exercise his freedom of speech by shouting "FIRE" in an occupied theater.

It is common courtesy in today’s society to respect others "social peace" and do ones best not to offend one another. However, this seems to be stretched to the point of limiting freedom of religious expression.
Examples please.

People are bothered by some religious expression.
Just as some are bothered by the eating of meat. We can please everyone all the time.

I have peers who, at the beginning of prayer, say "please prepare yourself in the manner you are accustomed, unless your Muslim." this shocked me to the point of asking that person if he was serious and he informed me that him and several others were "made uncomfortable" by religious expression from certain religions. This made me realize that maybe religion is not as free as we think. So please respond to this prompt below
-To what extent is our freedom of religion in America limited by society’s ideal of "social peace"?-
To an extremely small extent.

Feel free to give examples of your personal religious limitations placed upon you.
How about doing the same yourself?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Freedom of Religion is continuously debated in America’s society. Man has his natural laws of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, but he is not always allowed to express his religious aspects. It is common courtesy in today’s society to respect others "social peace" and do ones best not to offend one another. However, this seems to be stretched to the point of limiting freedom of religious expression. People are bothered by some religious expression. I have peers who, at the beginning of prayer, say "please prepare yourself in the manner you are accustomed, unless your Muslim." this shocked me to the point of asking that person if he was serious and he informed me that him and several others were "made uncomfortable" by religious expression from certain religions. This made me realize that maybe religion is not as free as we think. So please respond to this prompt below:

Well yes, we have religious freedom. Especially here in America, where there is so much religious freedom that Christianity is allowed to dominate our politics. People can put a limit on religious freedom, like your example, but that is a personal thing. Many people are extremely against people practicing certain religions, or simply against practicing one's religion in the holy place of another's religions (which I agree is disrespectful).

-To what extent is our freedom of religion in America limited by society’s ideal of "social peace"?

None really. Political correctness goes on, but it is not horribly evil to try and keep us from offending each other, just counter productive. Political correctness shows limitations on logic, not simply religion. People are not allowed to be right or wrong, there is no truth and falsehood, that will upset people. It is quite ridiculous. But in America we have the Phelps family protesting funerals, we have prayer days, "God" written everywhere on money, in the pledge, on buildings, etc, etc etc. You cannot say there is a lack of religious freedom.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm really confused by those of you who have stated freedom of religion (particularly expression of religiosity) in America isn't limited by social norms (or the "social peace" as the OP put it). It makes me wonder how many of you have faced discrimination because of your beliefs. All human cultures place tremendous pressure on its members to conform to certain norms, religious or otherwise. I feel this almost constantly, and being someone who does not follow mainstream cultural norms, I find the extent of this problem very significant.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have religious freedom. I can openly practice my religion, I don't have to hide it. I can choose to go to any Church, Synagogue, Temple, Mosque, etc. I can wear a cross around my neck and put a cross on my private property (or any other religious symbol, for that matter). No one screams at me in public about my faith. People can even complain about various religions.
So it is safe to assume we have religious freedom in the USA