• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Fragmentation

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Is separating people based on belief systems more important than being inclusive as regards actions, or fruits?

PureX

Veteran Member
Is separating people based on belief systems more important than being inclusive as regards actions, or fruits?
No. In fact, it's counter-productive, and counter-effective. But the authoritarians within the various religions just can't resist the urge to control the beliefs of others. So they have to "weed out the unbelievers" to establish themselves as the true authorities.

It's why I reject organized religion, and why I always will.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Important for what purpose? If I'm conducting demographics research, you bet your booties it's more important to have my separate demographic categories than to be inclusive in the manner being discussed. I don't have a valid research study otherwise.

pearl

There are many secular 'systems' that are inclusive and known for their 'fruits' but there remains requirements or at least directives that speak to the organizations particular goal, at least to agree with its cause. Why would a religion be any different? They both begin from a common belief in their cause. Each, whether secular or religious have the right to determine for itself may or may not be accepted.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Important for what purpose? If I'm conducting demographics research, you bet your booties it's more important to have my separate demographic categories than to be inclusive in the manner being discussed. I don't have a valid research study otherwise.

but as a religious person and not an objective observe is it more important to look like a fruit, or be fruiting?

whirlingmerc

Depends on the nature of the union. Dividing a church over superficial issues is not good. A church is united under the gospel and so a major disagreement there or on the nature of God is an issue. But right to life or social reforms may include various views more widely different and that's fine agreeing on some social reform but not giving up essential views on other issues

Psalm 6 a sorrowful psalm

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
There are many secular 'systems' that are inclusive and known for their 'fruits' but there remains requirements or at least directives that speak to the organizations particular goal, at least to agree with its cause. Why would a religion be any different? They both begin from a common belief in their cause. Each, whether secular or religious have the right to determine for itself may or may not be accepted.

Does any religion, person, have privileged access to God? or does everyone have direct access?

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Depends on the nature of the union. Dividing a church over superficial issues is not good. A church is united under the gospel and so a major disagreement there or on the nature of God is an issue. But right to life or social reforms may include various views more widely different and that's fine agreeing on some social reform but not giving up essential views on other issues

Psalm 6 a sorrowful psalm
how about dividing people over trivial issues, like what religion, or belief system we wear?

aren't we still naked under all those self-aggrandizing, or appointed, robes?

whirlingmerc

how about dividing people over trivial issues, like what religion, or belief system we wear?

aren't we still naked under all those self-aggrandizing, or appointed, robes?

self appointed man centered things are an issue
but you are assuming nothing is from the hand of God or based on the word of God

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
self appointed man centered things are an issue
but you are assuming nothing is from the hand of God or based on the word of God
no, i'm assuming everything is from God, everything.

God created everything. religious men muddle with what is from God and what is not by being selfish with what God gives to ALL. like isaiah's filthy rags of self-righteousness.

Genesis 6:5
And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Matthew 5:45
That you may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he makes his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Luke 16:15
He said to them, "You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of others, but God knows your hearts. What people value highly is detestable in God's sight.

Last edited:

HeatherAnn

We are paradoxical - spirituality is very individual, yet collective.
Ideally, it would seem all humanity is our "tribe" - yet relationships are about relating - and who can possibly relate with every single person in this world?
Paraphrasing quote: "It's easier to love humanity as a whole than our neighbor in particular."

Think of your family - you don't include everyone in your holidays or family events, right?
People tend to relate based on some special things they have in common - relation, religion, politics, sports team, hobbies, same line at the store etc.

Bottom line: love and find ways to appreciate what you have in common with, whoever comes your way.

pearl

Does any religion, person, have privileged access to God? or does everyone have direct access?

God's love is self gift, absolute, and all inclusive. According to one Catholic theologian, 'from "God's point of view" there is no difference between Mary and Satan. God loves both perfectly. The difference is Mary is thrilled and Satan hates it.' Its a level playing field, all have 'access' to this incomprehensible Mystery we call God. The greater problem is believing that any one 'system' has the definitive answer to this Mystery.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
God's love is self gift, absolute, and all inclusive. According to one Catholic theologian, 'from "God's point of view" there is no difference between Mary and Satan. God loves both perfectly. The difference is Mary is thrilled and Satan hates it.' Its a level playing field, all have 'access' to this incomprehensible Mystery we call God. The greater problem is believing that any one 'system' has the definitive answer to this Mystery.
agreed. where one accepts the gift, the another refuses.

Jeremiah Ames

Yes, but what is it that compels so many people to believe in ‘a system’? To me, belief in a religious system is ‘the wide path’.
“For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." (Matthew 7:14)
Notice that “few” find it.
Would you say that only a few are following the religions of the world?

pearl

“For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." (Matthew 7:14)

‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?

I think MT 21-23 explains it.

As for 13-14, the metaphor of the "two ways" was common in pagan philosophy and in the Old Testament. In Christian literature it is found also in the Didache (1–6) and the Epistle of Barnabas (18–20).

I think it speaks to complacency, to our being 'puffed up' over our own accomplishments and confuse them with righteousness.

Yes, but what is it that compels so many people to believe in ‘a system’?

I think the 'system' is a vehicle used in the expression of ones belief, not belief itself. I also think there are many factors that draw us a particular system, not so much do I agree with the system, but does that system agree with me.

Jeremiah Ames

‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?

I think MT 21-23 explains it.

As for 13-14, the metaphor of the "two ways" was common in pagan philosophy and in the Old Testament. In Christian literature it is found also in the Didache (1–6) and the Epistle of Barnabas (18–20).

I think it speaks to complacency, to our being 'puffed up' over our own accomplishments and confuse them with righteousness.

I think the 'system' is a vehicle used in the expression of ones belief, not belief itself. I also think there are many factors that draw us a particular system, not so much do I agree with the system, but does that system agree with me.

Thanks for your thoughts pcarl. I just looked over Matthew 21-23 that you mentioned.
May I ask how you interpret Matthew 23:8-11?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yes, but what is it that compels so many people to believe in ‘a system’? To me, belief in a religious system is ‘the wide path’.

so you're implying that sometimes religions can become like idols, stumbling blocks that impede the person in realizing god?

pearl

The passages are addressed to the disciples alone. While only the title 'Rabbi' has been said to be used in addressing the scribes and Pharisees, it is implied that Father and Master also were. The prohibition of these titles to the disciples could be that their use was present in the church of Matthews time. Matthew's Jesus forbids not only the titles but the spirit of superiority and pride shown by their acceptance. It is a stark warning of the clericalism that has become rampant today.