• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious fictionalism: believers without 'the belief'?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Augustine never interpreted it literally either.

See:

Evolution | scientific theory

Biblical scholars point out that the Bible is inerrant with respect to religious truth, not in matters that are of no significance to salvation.

Augustine, considered by many the greatest Christian theologian, wrote in the early 5th century in his De Genesi ad litteram (Literal Commentary on Genesis):

It is also frequently asked what our belief must be about the form and shape of heaven, according to Sacred Scripture. Many scholars engage in lengthy discussions on these matters, but the sacred writers with their deeper wisdom have omitted them. Such subjects are of no profit for those who seek beatitude. And what is worse, they take up very precious time that ought to be given to what is spiritually beneficial. What concern is it of mine whether heaven is like a sphere and Earth is enclosed by it and suspended in the middle of the universe, or whether heaven is like a disk and the Earth is above it and hovering to one side.
Augustine adds later in the same chapter: “In the matter of the shape of heaven, the sacred writers did not wish to teach men facts that could be of no avail for their salvation.”

Augustine is saying that the book of Genesis is not an elementary book of astronomy. It is a book about religion, and it is not the purpose of its religious authors to settle questions about natural science that are of no relevance whatsoever to how to seek salvation.

In De Trinitate and his Literal Commentary on Genesis, St. Augustine interprets Genesis as God having endowed creation with the capacity to develop - that is, a view compatible with, albeit different from, our contemporary understanding of evolution. Augustine employs the image of a dormant 'seed' to aid his readers in understanding this point, what Alistair Grath refers to as Augustine's belief in "divinely embedded causalities which emerge or evolve at a later stage." See:

Augustine, Genesis, & the Goodness of Creation | Henry Center

Augustine also argues for a notion of “seminal seeds.” His argument is that, when God created the world, he both created actual “stuff”—animals, vegetation, etc., but also created seminal seeds by which (over time) “new” things would come forth.

Thus, at some point after the original creation, we really do see “new” creatures, “new” vegetable life, and so on. But when animals reproduce, or when the seeds of a plant lead to the existence of a new plant, there is no autonomous creating going on.

Rather, God is still the ultimate creator, because within humans, or within other living things, exist these seminal seeds created by God, and only through these seminal seeds does new life come into being.

Young Earth creationism only really became a prevalent thing.....in modern times.

Disturbing but true.

In the middle ages, the main approach to reading and interpreting scripture was allegorical - mystical. Known as "Lecto Divina", it had 4 steps:

Lectio - the slow, spiritual reading of a scripture passage

Meditatio - meditating on the passage (ie reflecting on it)

Oratio - The movement of one's whole heart or being (affective prayer), opening up to God through the words

Contemplatio - One simply rests in God without any attempt at thought or rational analysis, neither using imagination or the memory. It is not an act of doing but rather that of being.

It was neatly summarized by the 12th century mystic and monk known as "Guigio II":

"...Reading, meditation, prayer, contemplation: lectio, meditatio, oratio, contemplatio. Reading is careful study of Scripture, with the soul's attention: Meditation is the studious action of the mind to investigate hidden truth, led by one's own reason. Prayer is the heart's devoted attending to God, so that evil may be removed and good may be obtained. Contemplation is the mind suspended -somehow elevated above itself - in God so that it tastes the joys of everlasting sweetness. Reading accords with exercise of the outward [senses]; meditation accords with interior understanding; prayer accords with desire; contemplation is above all senses..."

- Guigo II (1140-1193), The Ladder of Monks
Yes I had read that Augustine of Hippo took a similar view to that of Origen, but you have provided some excellent, useful references.

The information about mediaeval religious practice is new to me, but seems indeed to support my previous suppositions. It also comes as some comfort to me personally, since it seems to make room for my own experience as a churchgoer in spite of my doctrinal misgivings. So thanks for that.

Regarding YEC creationism being a modern thing, yes, absolutely. It seems to have arisen in the c.19th, as a result of the insistence of some extreme Protestant groups (Seventh Day Adventists spring to mind) on rejecting any expert authority on how to read scripture. So they reinvented the wheel, for themselves, from a deliberately chosen position of ignorance, and, surprise surprise, did it rather badly.

This disastrous, homespun approach may actually have been triggered by the advances in science in the c.19th (geology and biology especially), which started to put new constraints on how one could interpret the bible and thus posed new and uncomfortable questions. Rather than attempting a new synthesis as the main churches did, drawing on theological precedent - in effect following the example of Augustine and Origen - these groups seem to have felt that they were being forced to choose between incompatible alternatives. They chose, fatally, to reject science and proceeded to construct a competing alternative, starting from the axiom that every word of scripture should be taken as literally factual. So now we have the curse of a sort of idiot religion, running alongside regular Christianity.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I have found myself pointing out over and over again to literalists on this forum that, by 200AD at any rate, Church Fathers such as Origen were well aware, from their exposure to the myths of classical antiquity, that myth and allegory were components of the bible. He did not take the Genesis story literally, but was perfectly able to discern the messages for humanity it contains in allegorical form. I have read that Jewish scholars who were his contemporaries in Alexandria took the same view. I have little doubt that they would not have been the first.

I do not believe this is really accurate, and I believe the majority of the church Fathers and those that compiled the Bible believed in a literal Genesis and the flood. Yes, many acknowledged a companion allegorical interpretations.

The first Church Father who mentions the days of Creation is Barnabas (not Paul’s companion) who wrote a letter in AD 130. He says:

“Now what is said at the very beginning of Creation about the Sabbath, is this: In six days God created the works of his hands, and finished them on the seventh day; and he rested on that day, and sanctified it. Notice particularly, my children, the significance of ‘he finished them in six days.’ What that means is, that He is going to bring the world to an end in six thousand years, since with Him one day means a thousand years; witness His own saying, ‘Behold, a day of the Lord shall be as a thousand years. Therefore, my children, in six days – six thousand years, that is – there is going to be an end of everything.” (The Epistle of Barnabas 15)2

Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyons (AD 120 – 202), was discipled by Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna, who had himself been taught by the Apostle John. He tells us clearly that a literal Adam and Eve were created and fell into sin on the literal first day of Creation (an idea influenced by the Rabbis). He writes:

“For it is said, 'There was made in the evening, and there was made in the morning, one day.' Now in this same day that they did eat, in that also did they die.”4

When he refers to Adam sinning and bringing death to the human race on the sixth day, he also points out that Christ also died on the sixth day in order to redeem us from the curse of sin. It is impossible to manipulate the text to make Irenaeus look as if he believed in the long-age days of the modernist theologians.

Agreeing with Barnabas, he explains that the literal six-day Creation points to six thousand years of history before Christ’s return:

“And God brought to a conclusion upon the sixth day the works that He had made; and God rested upon the seventh day from all His works. This is an account of the things formerly created, as also it is a prophecy of what is to come. For the day of the Lord is as a thousand years; and in six days created things were completed: it is evident, therefore, that they will come to an end at the sixth thousand year.”5

Hippolytus, Bishop of Portus, near Rome (AD 170 – 236), was trained in the faith by Irenaeus, and like his mentor, he held to literal Creation days. He writes:

“And six thousand years must needs be accomplished… for 'a day with the Lord is as a thousand years.' Since, then, in six days God made all things, it follows that 6,000 years must be fulfilled.”6

Lactantius, a Bible scholar (AD 260 – 330) who tutored Emperor Constantine’s son, Crispus, taught the official Christian doctrine of the traditional church. He wrote:

“To me, as I meditate and consider in my mind concerning the creation of this world in which we are kept enclosed, even such is the rapidity of that creation; as is contained in the book of Moses, which he wrote about its creation, and which is called Genesis. God produced that entire mass for the adornment of His majesty in six days…. In the beginning God made the light, and divided it in the exact measure of twelve hours by day and by night….”7

As with the other church leaders at the time, he accepted the prophetic days of 2 Peter 3:8, and tells us:

“Therefore, since all the works of God were completed in six days, the world must continue in its present state through six ages, that is, six thousand years.”8

Next, Origen, Clement of Alexandria and Augustine of Hippo

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks very much for this, Vouthon. It articulates very well something about my own shaky degree of belief, such as it is. I can certainly recognise myself as being somewhere "on the spectrum" of fictionalism. I have suspected for a long time that quite a lot of church-going Christians - and even a number of Church of England clergymen - are in this position, so it is reassuring to see this corroborated by the Dutch research.

I wonder in fact whether the demands we tend nowadays to make of religious believers, viz. that they should have a fully worked out, intellectually coherent and firmly held conviction about all the doctrines of their faith, are an aberration, arising from an Enlightenment-driven approach to religion in the wake of the Reformation. It was @Polymath257 who, in another thread, drew my attention to the distinction between mythos and logos and the way logos has been emphasised, to the detriment of mythos, since that time. Mediaeval people may have approached religion rather differently.

I am also very struck by @sayak83's comment about the theories of science being in a sense "fictions". This seems to me rather an arresting comparison, suggesting as it does that the black and white division we tend to make between fact and fiction is actually a bit naive and crude.
I agree. Scientific theories are efficacious models or tools that help us engage effectively with the natural world to achieve our purposes. This way of thinking about other things as well ( religions, myths, stories, art, mathematics, economics) is better than this fact and fiction kind of thinking.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I do not believe this is really accurate, and I believe the majority of the church Fathers and those that compiled the Bible believed in a literal Genesis and the flood. Yes, many acknowledged a companion allegorical interpretations.

The first Church Father who mentions the days of Creation is Barnabas (not Paul’s companion) who wrote a letter in AD 130. He says:

“Now what is said at the very beginning of Creation about the Sabbath, is this: In six days God created the works of his hands, and finished them on the seventh day; and he rested on that day, and sanctified it. Notice particularly, my children, the significance of ‘he finished them in six days.’ What that means is, that He is going to bring the world to an end in six thousand years, since with Him one day means a thousand years; witness His own saying, ‘Behold, a day of the Lord shall be as a thousand years. Therefore, my children, in six days – six thousand years, that is – there is going to be an end of everything.” (The Epistle of Barnabas 15)2

Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyons (AD 120 – 202), was discipled by Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna, who had himself been taught by the Apostle John. He tells us clearly that a literal Adam and Eve were created and fell into sin on the literal first day of Creation (an idea influenced by the Rabbis). He writes:

“For it is said, 'There was made in the evening, and there was made in the morning, one day.' Now in this same day that they did eat, in that also did they die.”4

When he refers to Adam sinning and bringing death to the human race on the sixth day, he also points out that Christ also died on the sixth day in order to redeem us from the curse of sin. It is impossible to manipulate the text to make Irenaeus look as if he believed in the long-age days of the modernist theologians.

Agreeing with Barnabas, he explains that the literal six-day Creation points to six thousand years of history before Christ’s return:

“And God brought to a conclusion upon the sixth day the works that He had made; and God rested upon the seventh day from all His works. This is an account of the things formerly created, as also it is a prophecy of what is to come. For the day of the Lord is as a thousand years; and in six days created things were completed: it is evident, therefore, that they will come to an end at the sixth thousand year.”5

Hippolytus, Bishop of Portus, near Rome (AD 170 – 236), was trained in the faith by Irenaeus, and like his mentor, he held to literal Creation days. He writes:

“And six thousand years must needs be accomplished… for 'a day with the Lord is as a thousand years.' Since, then, in six days God made all things, it follows that 6,000 years must be fulfilled.”6

Lactantius, a Bible scholar (AD 260 – 330) who tutored Emperor Constantine’s son, Crispus, taught the official Christian doctrine of the traditional church. He wrote:

“To me, as I meditate and consider in my mind concerning the creation of this world in which we are kept enclosed, even such is the rapidity of that creation; as is contained in the book of Moses, which he wrote about its creation, and which is called Genesis. God produced that entire mass for the adornment of His majesty in six days…. In the beginning God made the light, and divided it in the exact measure of twelve hours by day and by night….”7

As with the other church leaders at the time, he accepted the prophetic days of 2 Peter 3:8, and tells us:

“Therefore, since all the works of God were completed in six days, the world must continue in its present state through six ages, that is, six thousand years.”8

Next, Origen, Clement of Alexandria and Augustine of Hippo
You do realise you are quoting from a creationist website, do you?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You do realise you are quoting from a creationist website, do you?

Being a Creationist website is NOT the point, which you are sidestepping. The point is the citations from the writings of the Church Fathers clearly demonstrate that the Church Fathers were actually fundamentalist Creationists that believed in a literal Genesis. The citations are specific and accurate. They are the authorities that determined the final edited composition of the Bible, which is also cited as a reference.

From the same source: ECG: Creation and the Church Fathers

Origen, Clement of Alexandria and Augustine of Hippo

Usually liberal Christians refer to these three church leaders to support their ideas. However, we must understand that these three scholars never even thought about interpreting the days of Genesis in a way that today’s liberals understand. To try and do this is a violation of their teaching.

Firstly, even these three leaders who interpreted Scripture in a more symbolic way than the others, never once tried to mix the long ages of the pagan philosophers like Plato with their teaching. Every single person among the Christian leaders who spoke about Creation said it had happened much less than 10,000 years ago. Augustine (AD 354 – 430) could write:

“fewer than 6,000 years have passed since man’s first origin,”

and he referred to the pagans’

“fairy-tales about reputed antiquity, which our opponents may decide to produce in attempts to controvert the authority of our sacred books....”9

Liberals are keen to get Augustine on their side because apparently he believed that the days of Creation were symbolic, and not literal. He tells us in his City of God what he understood about the Creation days:

“The world was in fact made with time, if at the time of its creation change and motion came into existence. This is clearly the situation in the order of the first six or seven days, in which morning and evening are named, until God’s creation was finished on the sixth day, and on the seventh day God’s rest is emphasized as something conveying a mystic meaning. What kind of days these are is difficult or even impossible for us to imagine, to say nothing of describing them.

In our experience, of course, the days with which we are familiar only have an evening because the sun sets, and a morning because the sun rises; whereas those first three days passed without the sun, which was made, we are told, on the fourth day. The narrative does indeed tell that light was created by God…. But what kind of light that was, and with what alternating movement the distinction was made, and what was the nature of this evening and this morning; these are questions beyond the scope of our sensible experience. We cannot understand what happened as it is presented to us; and yet we must believe it without hesitation.”10

From this we realise that Augustine held to a literal interpretation of the Creation days, although he admitted he had to take it by faith, rather than by reason. In his earlier book (AD 397 – 398), Confessions, he does spiritualize the Genesis account of Creation to communicate with a different audience, but his City of God was completed only four years before his death, and, as shown above, this later book shows a literal understanding of the days of Genesis.

He did teach an idea known as the “seminal principle,” which some liberals have jumped on with glee, stating that Augustine was a theistic evolutionist. This is, however, reading too much into his work from a post-Darwin mindset. He simply believed that all living things contained within them seeds, which grew to form the complete species, but that all kinds of living things had fixed boundaries. These seeds, he believed, grew rapidly into fully mature living forms during the creation process – there was no thought about millions of years in between each stage of the days of Genesis.11

Origen (AD 185 – 230/254) was one of the most prolific Christian writers in the Early Church, and was used by God to lead many into the Christian faith. He was recognised as one of the greatest scholars of the church at that time. He led a Bible school in Alexandria, and in order to become a better missionary to the pagan philosophers, he attended the lectures of Ammonius Saccas, who had founded the school of Neo-Platonism in Alexandria. Sadly, it was the influence of pagan philosophy that led Origen astray in some of his Scriptural interpretations.

Origen started preaching that human souls had already existed and that they were waiting to be put into bodies. This heresy was known as the “Pre-existence of the Soul”, and it was totally rejected by the church. He also taught that the stars possessed their own souls. This belief he adopted from the pagan scientists of the day. He began to explain away Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden as figurative, and he also bought into a pagan understanding of the Creation days. He believed that “the world is not yet ten thousand years old, but very much under that”,12 but saw the six days of Creation as figurative.

The reason why he struggled with a literal understanding of the six days is because he could not understand how light could exist, and the earth rotate in a 24-hour cycle before the sun had been created. He appealed to Genesis 2:4 in order to give a figurative meaning to the six days of Creation and wrote:

“We found fault with those who, taking the words in their apparent signification, said that the time of six days was occupied in the creation of the world, and quoted the words: 'These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens.'”13

Of course today we know that the sun is one among many stars, and that light radiation existed before they were created. The problem of a 24-hour earth cycle before the sun was made is not a difficulty for God; it is just that we do not yet understand it. When Origen quoted Genesis 2:4 to give a figurative foundation for the days of Creation, he did not realise that traditional rabbinical understanding of this verse was that the “generations” meant “the account of” and “the day” meant “at the time when”.14 Thus he is guilty of twisting Scripture.

Clement of Alexandria (AD 153 – 217), was famous as a Bible teacher, and he taught Origen. Although some evangelicals think he held to a liberal view on Creation, he actually had a mixed approach. He has an historical date for Creation of 5592 BC (Stromata, or Miscellanies 1:21) and he said about the Creation days:

“For the creation of the world was concluded in six days ...Wherefore also man is said to have been made on the sixth day ... Some such thing also is indicated by the sixth hour in the scheme of salvation, in which man was made perfect.”15

Although the context of the above passage is indeed figurative, it is clear that Clement was referring to a literal six-day Creation with man being “made perfect” in the sixth hour of the sixth day. Clement was influenced by the rabbinical teaching of the six hours in which God completed man, an idea which goes beyond the bounds of Scripture, but yet demonstrates a literalist view.16

In conclusion, my investigation clearly demonstrated to me that the Church Fathers were almost unanimous on the twin beliefs of a literal six-day Creation and a “young earth”. Origen, who was influenced by pagan views and held to some heretical ideas, was the main exception to the rule. Although the Church Fathers were literalists, it is true that they also used Genesis in a figurative way to point prophetically to the return of Christ, and to draw out spiritual messages for their audiences, as do literal creationists today.

Actually Lucretius a Roman 'pagan' philosopher described the nature of our physical existence at the time the Bible was being composed far more accurately.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I can't help but wonder... even taking for granted that a given Church's originators had a consistent literalist discourse, would the early adherents be comparably literal believers? Would we even know?

It seems to me that it could easily, very easily indeed, be a similar situation to that of ufanist, nationalistic discourse by a President or Prime Minister of some country or another. Meaning here that the words are predictable, but there is a clear if unstated undercurrent that people are expected to treat the contents as an abstract ideal of sorts, not to be mistaken for reality as it is.

JesusKnowsYou

But so is the nature of our human experience. It is not neat and tidy, black and white.
That is why God or Man has established Law - such as the U.S. Constitution - to help clean up or deal with the mess.

That is also why God has instituted religion. There would be zero motivation to "living a religious life" if the doctrine and beliefs are fictional.

exchemist

Veteran Member
That is why God or Man has established Law - such as the U.S. Constitution - to help clean up or deal with the mess.

That is also why God has instituted religion. There would be zero motivation to "living a religious life" if the doctrine and beliefs are fictional.
I disagree. Myth and allegory, as in some of the Old Testament, can convey messages very powerfully. And even straight fiction can convey truth to people in life-changing ways. For instance, the novels of Charles Dickens had a real effect on Victorian England's social attitudes to the condition of the poor.

People can find the teaching of Jesus as reported in the gospels something to admire, reflect on and put to work in their lives, regardless of whether they think he was the son of God or not. As for religious observance, there are many reasons why people may see value in doing that, whether they buy all the doctrines or not.

As I say, I think it is, like life, not black and white. And if you insist on throwing out of the church all those whose motives and state of belief are as I describe, have you really done a service to Christianity?

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
@exchemist @LuisDantas FYI

In his 1615 Letter to Mary Christine of Lorraine, the mother of the Duke of Tuscany, Galileo discussed biblical exegesis, based on St. Augustine’s doctrine, especially in his work De Genesi ad litteram and on Copernicus' faith:

Letter to Madame Christina of Lorraine, Grand Duchess of Tuscany | Inters.org

a most useful doctrine of St. Augustine's, relative to our making positive statements about things which are obscure and hard to understand by means of reason alone. Speaking of a certain physical conclusion about the heavenly bodies, he wrote:

“Now keeping always our respect for moderation in grave piety, we ought not to believe anything inadvisedly on a dubious point, lest in favor to our error we conceive a prejudice against something that truth hereafter may reveal to be not contrary in any way to the sacred books of either the Old or the New Testament.”...

its author, or rather its restorer and confirmer, was Nicholas Copernicus; and that he was not only a Catholic, but a priest and a canon. He was in fact so esteemed by the church that when the Lateran Council under Leo X took up the correction of the church calendar, Copernicus was called to Rome from the most remote parts of Germany to undertake its reform...

With Herculean toil he set his admirable mind to this task, and he made such great progress in this science and brought our knowledge of the heavenly motions to such precision that he became celebrated as an astronomer. Since that time not only has the calendar been regulated by his teachings, but tables of all the motions of the planets have been calculated as well.

Having reduced his system into six books, he published these at the instance of the Cardinal of Capua (2) and the Bishop of Culm (3). And since he had assumed his laborious enterprise by order of the Supreme Pontiff, he dedicated this book On the celestial revolutions to Pope Paul III. When printed, the book was accepted by the holy Church, and it has been read and studied by everyone without the faintest hint of any objection ever being conceived against its doctrines...

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. He would not require us to deny sense and reason in physical matters which are set before our eyes and minds by direct experience or necessary demonstrations...

Such is the opinion of the holiest and most learned Fathers, and in St. Augustine we find the following words:

“It is likewise commonly asked what we may believe about the form and shape of the heavens according to the Scriptures, for many contend much about these matters. But with superior prudence our authors have forborne to speak of this, as in no way furthering the student with respect to a blessed life—and, more important still, as taking up much of that time which should be spent in holy exercises. What is it to me whether heaven, like a sphere, surrounds the earth on all sides as a mass balanced in the center of the universe, or whether like a dish it merely covers and overcasts the earth? Belief in Scripture is urged rather for the reason we have often mentioned; that is, in order that no one, through ignorance of divine passages, finding anything in our Bibles or hearing anything cited from them of such a nature as may seem to oppose manifest conclusions, should be induced to suspect their truth when they teach, relate, and deliver more profitable matters. Hence let it be said briefly, touching the form of heaven, that our authors knew the truth but the Holy Spirit did not desire that men should learn things that are useful to no one for salvation.” (6)

The same disregard of these sacred authors toward beliefs about the phenomena of the celestial bodies is repeated to us by St. Augustine in his next chapter. On the question whether we are to believe that the heaven moves or stands still, he writes thus:

“Some of the brethren raise a question concerning the motion of heaven, whether it is fixed or moved. If it is moved, they say, how is it a firmament? If it stands still, how do these stars which are held fixed in it go round from east to west, the more northerly performing shorter circuits near the pole, so that heaven (if there is another pole unknown to us) may seem to revolve upon some axis, or (if there is no other pole) may be thought to move as a discus? To these men I reply that it would require many subtle and profound reasonings to find out which of these things is actually so; but to undertake this and discuss it is consistent neither with my leisure nor with the duty of those whom I desire to instruct in essential matters more directly conducing to their salvation and to the benefit of the holy Church.” (7)

From these things it follows as a necessary consequence that, since the Holy Ghost did not intend to teach us whether heaven moves or stands still, whether its shape is spherical or like a discus or extended in a plane, nor whether the earth is located at its center or off to one side, then so much the less was it intended to settle for us any other conclusion of the same kind...

But let us again consider the degree to which necessary demonstrations and sense experiences ought to be respected in physical conclusions, and the authority they have enjoyed at the hands of holy and learned theologians. From among a hundred attestations I have selected the following:

"We must also take heed, in handling the doctrine of Moses, that we altogether avoid saying positively and confidently anything which contradicts manifest experiences and the reasoning of philosophy or the other sciences. For since every truth is in agreement with all other truth, the truth of Holy Writ cannot be contrary to the solid reasons and experiences of human knowledge.”

(9) And in St. Augustine we read:

“If anyone shall set the authority of Holy Writ against clear and manifest reason, he who does this knows not what he has undertaken; for he opposes to the truth not the meaning of the Bible, which is beyond his comprehension, but rather his own interpretation; not what is in the Bible, but what he has found in himself and imagines to be there.” (10)

JesusKnowsYou

You are the accuser, aren't you? Your burden.
You're all cut from the same mold, aren't you?

No, I can't prove that the doctrines and beliefs of any religion are true.

I also cannot prove that Trump did not commit an impeachable offense.

However, when it comes to the principles of "due process" and "assumed innocence" I don't have to do either.

It was you that claimed that both the situations of religion and the impeachment of Trump were "fictional", so it is up to you to provide evidence to support that.

So far, nothing has proven that the doctrines of any religion are false or that Trump has committed any impeachable offenses.

The ball is definitely in your court.

JesusKnowsYou

I disagree. Myth and allegory, as in some of the Old Testament, can convey messages very powerfully. And even straight fiction can convey truth to people in life-changing ways. For instance, the novels of Charles Dickens had a real effect on Victorian England's social attitudes to the condition of the poor.

People can find the teaching of Jesus as reported in the gospels something to admire, reflect on and put to work in their lives, regardless of whether they think he was the son of God or not. As for religious observance, there are many reasons why people may see value in doing that, whether they buy all the doctrines or not.

As I say, I think it is, like life, not black and white. And if you insist on throwing out of the church all those whose motives and state of belief are as I describe, have you really done a service to Christianity?
I don't disagree with the idea of living Christian principles without being a Christian.

Christ taught truth and it is going to resonate with everyone, even those that don't believe that He is the Son of God.

What I thought we were talking about was people going to worship at a church.

Everyone should be welcome to come and worship, but if they don't believe int he doctrine, they are literally wasting their time.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don't disagree with the idea of living Christian principles without being a Christian.

Christ taught truth and it is going to resonate with everyone, even those that don't believe that He is the Son of God.

What I thought we were talking about was people going to worship at a church.

Everyone should be welcome to come and worship, but if they don't believe int he doctrine, they are literally wasting their time.
I applaud the sentiments in the first part of this, but I find the last line a non sequitur.

People may come out of curiosity, out of tradition, or for the sake of community, for instance. In those churches that have sacraments and a sense of ceremonial, they may come for the aesthetic experience, or indeed for the sense of calm, of connection with past humanity, or the aura of mystery and the vague sense of being in the presence of something greater that such ceremony can inspire. All these things are part of religious observance. I suggest they are also ways to be aware of, and to benefit from, the sense of the Divine, even though they may not be articulated as conscious thoughts. They can thus benefit even those who struggle to believe all the doctrines.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You're all cut from the same mold, aren't you?

No, I can't prove that the doctrines and beliefs of any religion are true.

I also cannot prove that Trump did not commit an impeachable offense.

However, when it comes to the principles of "due process" and "assumed innocence" I don't have to do either.

It was you that claimed that both the situations of religion and the impeachment of Trump were "fictional", so it is up to you to provide evidence to support that.

So far, nothing has proven that the doctrines of any religion are false or that Trump has committed any impeachable offenses.

The ball is definitely in your court.
You are deluding yourself and ought to own up to that.

I have no further time to spend with you on these matters.

wellwisher

What is your opinion of 'religious fictionalism', the stance which holds that religious doctrines / beliefs are fictional discourse but it is still worth living a religious life, practising religion, going to church / mosque / temple, participating in all the rituals, living by the ethics and using the 'language / symbols' of faith?

The left wing atheists do the same thing. For example, Socialism has been done many times in the past, with the results not turning out that well. It historically starts as a pleasant dream but becomes a nightmare.

There are many people, nevertheless, who organize around this fictionalism believing that this time it will be different, even though science could show documented trends in history. Is this type of collective fictionalism better that going to church? Both give a similar buzz but which is healthier?

Erebus

Religious fictionalism can come in "strong" and "weak" forms (its a scale of degrees): on the 'strong' end, an RF might believe God doesn't exist and neither do souls or anything else supernatural (i.e. Jesus did not rise from the dead, isn't actually the incarnate Son of God or perform miracles; Muhammad did not really have a vision of the archangel Gabriel who dictated Qur'anic revelations to him; the Hindu gods don't actually exist, nor do avatars or Atman etc.), while on the weak end the RF might believe in God in a kind of deistic fashion but not in any of the miraculous claims made for his religion (like the ones just mentioned, such as the resurrection!).

By this definition, I would probably be considered a weak religious fictionalist. I believe in the gods but not in the way they're often portrayed in stories. To me, the depiction of the gods as supernatural humanoids achieves three things:

1. It puts a face and personality to the natural forces and/or abstract concepts the gods represent.
2. It facilitates storytelling, allowing these forces and concepts to take an active rather than a background role in a narrative.
3. It's simply aesthetically pleasing. Many an artist has sculpted or painted humanoid gods in order to depict supreme beauty or majesty.

This approach seems to be fairly common among Pagans. I hesitate to say that it's the most common approach as Paganism is incredibly diverse and typically emphasizes individual discovery rather than dogma. It's certainly been the standard approach in my own experience though, I don't think any of the Pagans I've spoken to have believed that Zeus is literally a bearded man with an enormous sexual appetite.
That said, there's a lot more variance in which qualities are ascribed to the gods beyond their role in story-telling. Personally, I maintain an agnostic approach to whether or not the gods are sentient. To me, that question is essentially about whether or not a mind can exist without an organic body. Not only do I just not know the answer to that, I'm not sure there's any way we could ever know it. Others might view it differently, either believing the gods are sentient or definitively stating that they aren't.

Put simply, I don't believe something has to exist in a 100% literal manner for it to have value. Indeed, modern storytelling regularly employs similar methods of having characters be the embodiment of natural forces and/or abstract concepts. J.K. Rowling famously envisioned the dementors as the embodiment of depression. To the ancient Greeks, that role was fulfilled by Oizys.

I can't help but wonder... even taking for granted that a given Church's originators had a consistent literalist discourse, would the early adherents be comparably literal believers? Would we even know?

As to 'would we know?'

Literalism is the product of a literate culture and many or the earliest adherents weren't literate and relied on oral retelling of narratives. Oral stories by nature are more fluid that text.

We also know that the canon was still evolving, and that Paul was offering his opinions on numerous ecclesiastical matters, not writing scripture to be interpreted literally.

Also, as the canon became established, there was no attempt to remove any inconsistencies, which seems to suggest that these were not seen as being problematic.

None of this seems to point in a direction that makes it prudent to assume normative literalism among the early believers.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The left wing atheists do the same thing. For example, Socialism has been done many times in the past, with the results not turning out that well. It historically starts as a pleasant dream but becomes a nightmare.

There are many people, nevertheless, who organize around this fictionalism believing that this time it will be different, even though science could show documented trends in history. Is this type of collective fictionalism better that going to church? Both give a similar buzz but which is healthier?
....thus demonstrating that you have understood neither the subject of the thread nor what is meant by fictionalism.

Fictionalism is thinking the bible, or church doctrine, is fictional.

It is not thinking that socialism is worth trying one more time. Obviously. :rolleyes:

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
What is your opinion of 'religious fictionalism', the stance which holds that religious doctrines / beliefs are fictional discourse but it is still worth living a religious life, practising religion, going to church / mosque / temple, participating in all the rituals, living by the ethics and using the 'language / symbols' of faith?

Religious fictionalism can come in "strong" and "weak" forms (its a scale of degrees): on the 'strong' end, an RF might believe God doesn't exist and neither do souls or anything else supernatural (i.e. Jesus did not rise from the dead, isn't actually the incarnate Son of God or perform miracles; Muhammad did not really have a vision of the archangel Gabriel who dictated Qur'anic revelations to him; the Hindu gods don't actually exist, nor do avatars or Atman etc.), while on the weak end the RF might believe in God in a kind of deistic fashion but not in any of the miraculous claims made for his religion (like the ones just mentioned, such as the resurrection!).

I am reminded of JRR Tolkien's words on the inherent 'truth' of mythology: "After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

Indeed, one of the defining characteristics of human culture - since the days of the paleolithic cave-art - has been our facility for creating meaning, social identity and moral systems through the articulation of mythical stories and complex symbols.

Religious fictionalism is, apparently, by no means a negligible phenomenon. Research among self-identified Catholics in the Netherlands, published in 2007, found that only 27% of the Dutch Catholics could be regarded as a theist, 55% as an ietsist, deist or agnostic and 17% as atheist. Thus, the vast majority of Dutch Catholics were apparently "religious fictionalists" on some level.

The philosopher Philip Ball declares himself to be a 'Christian' religious fictionalist. He believes God to be a 'fiction', along with the resurrection of Christ, but attends church, prays (for his own mental wellbeing), reads the New Testament for moral edification and aspires to lead a Christlike life. Here he is writing about his framework:

Believers without belief - TLS

According to conventional wisdom, religions are systems of belief. Religious people are “believers”. Christians believe that Jesus rose from the dead; Muslims believe that Mohammed was the final prophet; Jews believe that the creator of the universe has a special affection for the children of Israel. These beliefs of the religious are often taken to be unsupported by, or even inconsistent with, available evidence. Indeed, many understand “faith” as a matter of believing without any evidence at all.

However, this belief-orientated – or “doxastic” – conception of religion is not universally accepted...As the philosopher Daniel Howard-Snyder has argued in detail, the contexts in which Jesus talks of “faith” make it quite clear that he was concerned with the resilience of the religious commitment of the people around him rather than with their abstract theories of reality; in other words, with “belief” in the sixteenth-century rather than the twenty-first-century sense...

But suppose you think the arguments for the existence of God fail entirely. Or suppose you think we have very good reason to think that God does not exist...Could you still have some grounds for taking religion seriously? One might think not. Yet there is a philosophical position that combines out and out atheism with a positive commitment to religious practice; this is the view known as “religious fictionalism”.

Religious fictionalists hold that the contentious claims of religion, such as “God exists” or “Jesus rose from the dead” are all, strictly speaking, false. They nonetheless think that religious discourse, as part of the practice in which such discourse is embedded, has a pragmatic value that justifies its use. In fact, fictionalism is popular in many areas of philosophy. There are, for example, moral fictionalists and mathematical fictionalists, who think that there are pragmatic benefits to using moral/mathematical language even though such discourse fails to correspond to a genuine reality (there are, on these views, no such things as goodness or the number 9, any more than there are dragons or witches). Religious fictionalists merely extend this approach to the statements of religion.

What is the pragmatic benefit for the atheist of using religious language? The religious fictionalist Andrew Eshleman proposes that religious discourse can be understood as mythological, by which he means “a meaning-loaded narrative that has been adopted by a particular community to give expression to and foster a form of life defined by its guiding ideals”. The religious community is bound together across space and time by its stories, rituals, regular meetings and celebration of rites of passage. At a time when globalization has fractured communities and weakened our shared forms of life, there is arguably a real need for institutions that bring people together around a shared moral purpose. The rise of nationalism around much of Europe may, in part, speak to a deep human need for shared structures of meaning...

Moral character is cultivated and sustained, at least in part, through emotional engagement with fictional scenarios. For the fictionalist, immersion in the religious ritual is akin to losing yourself in a book or a film, the only difference being that the effect is accentuated through our active and corporate participation in the act of worship...

The New Testament scholar Marcus Borg – another late, great voice in liberal theology – developed in some detail a Hickian conception of Christianity. Although sceptical of the literal truth of the virgin birth and the resurrection, Borg believed that the Christian myth expressed what he called “the character and passion of God”. By conceiving of God as born into poverty, eating with outcasts, suffering a humiliating death at the hands of the unconquerable colonial power and yet paradoxically triumphing through that very suffering, we are led into a deeper and truer experience of the Real.

One might be forgiven for thinking that fictionalism was a new-fangled approach to religion, but in fact there are fictionalist elements in Christian theology going right back to the Early Church Fathers. Origen (c.184–253) and Gregory of Nyssa (c.335–395) were proponents of apophatic, or “negative”, theology, according to which the real nature of God is unknowable. Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite (late fifth/early sixth centuries) wrote that God is “beyond every assertation” and “beyond every denial”. And the hugely influential late fourteenth-century text The Cloud of Unknowing guided Christians to a knowledge of God that left behind the superficial descriptions found in ordinary worship. If God’s nature cannot be captured in human language, it follows that talk of God as having personal characteristics – such as “wisdom” or “omnipotence” – although perhaps essential for regular practice, is strictly speaking a fiction.

When we read stories or watch movies, we will find that almost 90% are man-made fictional stories

The human tendency to create unreal stories, it is to arouse the curiosity of the person and push him to participate and buy, it is a process that brings followers

Talk about the facts, people will not follow you much because they are boring in them

they always feels Fed up or boredom

Man tends to create additional tools for recreation, such as a lifestyle

It is only natural, with the passage of time and the mixing of ideas, to create a rebellious generation that likes to get out of reality and Truth

Creating foggy or winding environments makes the thing exciting

Even in games, when you find a car used only straight game that's boring
But you will love to find a car that takes right and left and different environments up and down

they will not care about the finish line does not matter if it does not reach God but it does matter the interesting experience that they will live

Without caring about God’s feelings or thanking God
This will definitely upset God