• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Experience versus Mystical Experience

Thana

Lady
You must have experienced some other God. Shiva maybe? You cannot experience Christ according to the Christian scriptures. Or maybe like a cunning fox you must have the read the eastern scriptures and decided to dump whatever you learnt there onto Christ? It has to be the latter.

Erm, what?

I'm not going to lie, I'm completely ignorant on everything about Hinduism, Buddhism, Pretty much most eastern religions, So no your theory is incorrect.

Also, Please quote scriptures that say you will not experience God if you want anyone to take your claim seriously.

Erm, what?

I'm not going to lie, I'm completely ignorant on everything about Hinduism, Buddhism, Pretty much most eastern religions, So no your theory is incorrect.

Also, Please quote scriptures that say you will not experience God if you want anyone to take your claim seriously.

I have some work at the moment which will take me a couple of hours to complete. Kindly wait for my reply until then. In the meantime, can you list a pre-20th century translation of the Bible which mentions the concept of union with God? I'd like to read it and enlighten myself.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I have some work at the moment which will take me a couple of hours to complete. Kindly wait for my reply until then. In the meantime, can you list a pre-20th century translation of the Bible which mentions the concept of union with God? I'd like to read it and enlighten myself.

Revelation 3:20 King James
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Thana

Lady

John 14:21 English Revised Version
"He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself unto him."

There's more, But honestly you could just google them :shrug:

Back :D

Can you list a pre-20th century translation of the Bible which mentions the concept of union with God? I'd like to read it and enlighten myself.

My request was very clear. Kindly share a pre-20th century translation of the Bible (not random quotes) which mentions the concept of union with God. I'm curious to know how the concept of union with God fits in with the below

1. Original Sin
2. Eternal Heaven
3. Eternal Hell
4. Creationism
5. Jesus the only way
6. We're all sinners
7. Judgement Day
8. Resurrection
9. Satan

Revelation 3:20 King James
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

King James Version does not contain anything to do with union with God. http://www.bibleexplained.com/revelation/r-seg01-3/rev03b.html#0320

That's crap what you say. You speak from profound ignorance with beaming confidence.

I'm willing to shed my ignorance. Can you help with the above query please? I'll read the Bible translation you suggest and get back to you.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
First of all, you can read these in the Bible no matter what translation. If you cannot see them, that's another issue. Secondly, Christian mystics have existed all along, and their understanding is in fact deeply mystical. Go read some Meister Eckhart to begin with, though there are many more. Mystical traditions, including the early Desert Fathers is common knowledge you appear ignorant of. They all read the same Bible that you claim not see any of this within.

Then to extend this criticism of yours against all the Monotheistic religions, have you ever heard of Rumi? He was a Muslim mystic, as well as all the Sufis. In Judaism, there are also numerous examples. As was pointed out, you make blanket statements that betray your own ignorance in these things. Am I wrong?

First of all, you can read these in the Bible no matter what translation. If you cannot see them, that's another issue. Secondly, Christian mystics have existed all along, and their understanding is in fact deeply mystical. Go read some Meister Eckhart to begin with, though there are many more. Mystical traditions, including the early Desert Fathers is common knowledge you appear ignorant of. They all read the same Bible that you claim not see any of this within.

Then to extend this criticism of yours against all the Monotheistic religions, have you ever heard of Rumi? He was a Muslim mystic, as well as all the Sufis. In Judaism, there are also numerous examples. As was pointed out, you make blanket statements that betray your own ignorance in these things. Am I wrong?

This is getting tiresome. You have no answers other than to invoke some random mystic again and again.

As far as Sufism is concerned

The Relation between Buddhism and Sufism: Response to Majid Tehranian

Hindu And Muslim Mysticism by R. C. Zaehner

Sufism is NOT from the Qu'ran and this fact is widely acknowledged by the Muslims themselves. It mostly developed over a period of time in India and is also sometimes called the Indian Islam. Rumi was a great mystic? Fair enough. That doesn't mean Muhammad was a great mystic. He wasn't just like Jesus wasn't. As simple as that.

Last edited:

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Just to clarify, are you saying that you define the word "mysticism" to include only experiences that are in some way a direct apprehension of the divine?

Classically speaking, yes. But how "the Divine" is defined is another story.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I usually include in the category of mystical experiences a variety of experiences ranging from prophetic dreams to experiences of oneness. But I also tend to sub-divide mystical experiences into two categories: (1) experiences of oneness, and (2) most everything else (which I call makyo). I do that for largely arbitrary reasons, though. It's just that I have until recently been much more interested in experiences of oneness than I have in, say, premonitions.
You can make experiences of oneness makyo if you cling to them or "make a nest out of "oneness." If you try to get away from the mystery through conceptualization, you can also be prone to makyo, imo.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You can make experiences of oneness makyo if you cling to them or "make a nest out of "oneness." If you try to get away from the mystery through conceptualization, you can also be prone to makyo, imo.

Well, for once, we agree. :yes:

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Example of a religion that expects you to just believe - Christianity
Example of a religion that expects you to experience God - Hinduism

The former is a dogma based religion while the latter is a mystical religion.

If that were the case, then you have a real problem with St. Paul of Tarsus. His life helps answer Sunstone's excellent question in the OP I think too, so let me try and kill two birds with one stone ;)

His authentic Letters are the earliest Christian documents that we posses; the sayings and life of Jesus were at that time chiefly passed around orally or through primitive documents such as the hypothetical Q source underlying the synoptic and the Passion narrative and Signs Gospel thought to underpin the Gospel of John's traditions.

He never knew Jesus personally. His conversion to Christianity rested around a profound religious experience whereby he beheld, not Jesus the mortal man, but the Living Son of God. Paul saw a blinding light on the Damascus Road, and then an invisible voice spoke to him (Gal 1:13-17; Acts 9:1-9).

According to Galatians, he tells us that immediately after this episode he fled to the deserts of Arabia, obviously to contemplate what this experience meant and discern his new path in life.

He then began to have "visionary" experiences such as one in which he realized that the church was the "mystical body of Christ" (1 Corinthians 11) with each believer being part of it.

His spiritual journey developed from this into full-blown mysticism. In 2 Corinthians, he lets slip that his ability, although never having known Jesus, to compose inspired literature and teachings that would become Christian scripture, stemmed from a profound experience in which he lost conscious awareness of both himself and creation, a characteristic example of "non-sensuous" mysticism. He explains how he was, “caught up to the third heaven — whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows…. [And was] caught up into Paradise and heard things that are not to be told, that no mortal is permitted to repeat” (2 Cor 12:1-4).

Being unable to describe adequately with words what one has "experienced", is a classic example of ineffability, one of the qualifying signs of a mystical experience. There are states one will never understand alone with the rational human intellect however one can experience it. Thus two later Christian mystics noted:

"...In a detached person nothing merely temporal is born in possesiveness. His eyes are opened. He becomes fully aware and, receiving his blessed existence and life, is one with Him; for all things are here one in the One...No one can explain this to another just with words. One knows it by experiencing it..."

- Blessed Henry Suso (c. 1296-1366), German Catholic mystic & Dominican priest

"...Wouldst thou know my meaning?
Lie down in the Fire
See and taste the Flowing
Godhead through thy being;
Feel the Holy Spirit
Moving and compelling
Thee within the Flowing
Fire and Light of God..."

- Saint Mechthild of Magdeburg (c. 1207 – c.1294), German Catholic mystic

His lack of awareness as to whether he was "in the body or out of the body" indicates the breakdown of his surface intelligence and a lose of awareness of himself of a distinct "I".

This is confirmed by his famous declaration in Galatians: "It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me" (Galatians 2:20).

A later Christian mystic, from the Syrian Orthodox Church, had the exact same experience (and I use his as my signature quote):

"...The ground on which I have been proceeding has been altered before me. My intelligence has been astonished by the marvel which You provoke and henceforth I know myself as not existing...My soul from then on was remaining as if in annihilation but without passing away. Friends were blotted out of my heart, unloved as enemies from of old. When I became weak, for a time He left me like this, amazed at Him and what is His. From that time I was existing without mind as non-existing, without perception, without vision, and without hearing, but in amazement and great stillness. There is no movement or knowledge there since in the experienced one knowledge has forgotten itself and even how to know...[The soul] is supremely illumined again and penetrates into the holy and greatly resplendent light. It gets absorbed in the glory of vision and is amazed. [Then] everything is lifted from its sight as being non-existent, and [the soul] forgets itself, being united to the light of the glory of the Majesty. It is captivated by its beauty and sees the glorious Hypostases [of the Trinity] through knowledge, that is, through unknowing, which is higher than all knowledge and all those who know..."

- Saint John of Dalyatha (8th century), Letter 4,16; Discourse 8

John of Dalyatha in one of his letters refers too, "Paul, the philosopher of the Spirit" as his inspiration.

As Evelyn Underhill, an early 20th century scholar of Christin mysticism noted:

"...Christian literature begins with a handful of letters written by a mystic; that is to say, with the epistles of St. Paul, the oldest books of the New Testament. Though we might appeal to the Synoptic portrait of Jesus, as our real guarantee for that balanced life of loving communion with God and active charity to men which is the ideal of Christian mysticism - still, the Gospels as we have them are later than St. Paul's career. This means that the earliest documentary witness to Jesus Christ that we possess is the witness of mysticism; and it tell us, not about His earthly life, but about the intense and transfiguring experience of His continued presence, enjoyed by one who had never known Him in the flesh..."

- Evelyn Underhill, The Mystics of the Church (1925)

Last of all, St. Paul's experience of this state which he calls the "third heaven" was described by another medieval Catholic mystic, Jacapone da Todi, who claimed to experience the same:

"...The name of this heaven is Non-being,
All affirmations are forbidden.
Shaped nothingness, made one with the Lord..."

- Jacopone da Todi (1230 - 1306), Catholic mystic & Franciscan poet

The upshot of my argument is this: No, religious experiences and mystical experiences are not necessarily the same. Atheists, such as Sam Harris, can lay claim to mystical experiences and many religious believers have had none.

Nevertheless, religious experiences can "start" off a journey that will eventually lead to mysticism, as happened in the case of Paul.

Therefore the majority of history's mystics, although by no means all, have usually been affiliated with religions.

Also religious people will often relate their mystical experiences to their religion and use terminology applicable to it in their descriptions thereof.

Last edited:

Thana

Lady
Back :D
My request was very clear. Kindly share a pre-20th century translation of the Bible (not random quotes) which mentions the concept of union with God. I'm curious to know how the concept of union with God fits in with the below

1. Original Sin
2. Eternal Heaven
3. Eternal Hell
4. Creationism
5. Jesus the only way
6. We're all sinners
7. Judgement Day
8. Resurrection
9. Satan

King James Version does not contain anything to do with union with God. Laodicea, the end-time church of Revelation

I'm a little disappointed, I asked you to show scripture that deny's union with God, But you have yet to do so? In fact, You've just turned the question on everyone else and provided a link that has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Perhaps you just needed a reminder?

1. Original Sin
2. Eternal Heaven
3. Eternal Hell
4. Creationism
5. Jesus the only way
6. We're all sinners
7. Judgement Day
8. Resurrection
9. Satan

Answer the above please Thana instead of beating around the bush. I will change my views if you can successfully show me a pre-20th century translation of the Bible that focusses on union/mysticism/enlightenment. And also how union of God fits in with the above 9 Christian beliefs that I've pointed out. Be back in a while :D

Last edited:

Thana

Lady
Answer the above please Thana instead of beating around the bush. I will change my views if you can successfully show me a pre-20th century translation of the Bible that focusses on union/mysticism/enlightenment. And also how union of God fits in with the above 9 Christian beliefs that I've pointed out. Be back in a while :D

Again, Misdirection.

Just answer the question that I've now asked you 3 times to answer.
Or admit that you were misinformed.
Either way :shrug:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If that were the case, then you have a real problem with St. Paul of Tarsus. His life helps answer Sunstone's excellent question in the OP I think too, so let me try and kill two birds with one stone ;)

His authentic Letters are the earliest Christian documents that we posses; the sayings and life of Jesus were at that time chiefly passed around orally or through primitive documents such as the hypothetical Q source underlying the synoptic and the Passion narrative and Signs Gospel thought to underpin the Gospel of John's traditions.

He never knew Jesus personally. His conversion to Christianity rested around a profound religious experience whereby he beheld, not Jesus the mortal man, but the Living Son of God. Paul saw a blinding light on the Damascus Road, and then an invisible voice spoke to him (Gal 1:13-17; Acts 9:1-9).

According to Galatians, he tells us that immediately after this episode he fled to the deserts of Arabia, obviously to contemplate what this experience meant and discern his new path in life.

He then began to have "visionary" experiences such as one in which he realized that the church was the "mystical body of Christ" (1 Corinthians 11) with each believer being part of it.

His spiritual journey developed from this into full-blown mysticism. In 2 Corinthians, he lets slip that his ability, although never having known Jesus, to compose inspired literature and teachings that would become Christian scripture, stemmed from a profound experience in which he lost conscious awareness of both himself and creation, a characteristic example of "non-sensuous" mysticism. He explains how he was, “caught up to the third heaven — whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows…. [And was] caught up into Paradise and heard things that are not to be told, that no mortal is permitted to repeat” (2 Cor 12:1-4).

Being unable to describe adequately with words what one has "experienced", is a classic example of ineffability, one of the qualifying signs of a mystical experience. There are states one will never understand alone with the rational human intellect however one can experience it. Thus two later Christian mystics noted:

His lack of awareness as to whether he was "in the body or out of the body" indicates the breakdown of his surface intelligence and a lose of awareness of himself of a distinct "I".

This is confirmed by his famous declaration in Galatians: "It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me" (Galatians 2:20).

A later Christian mystic, from the Syrian Orthodox Church, had the exact same experience (and I use his as my signature quote):

John of Dalyatha in one of his letters refers too, "Paul, the philosopher of the Spirit" as his inspiration.

As Evelyn Underhill, an early 20th century scholar of Christin mysticism noted:

Last of all, St. Paul's experience of this state which he calls the "third heaven" was described by another medieval Catholic mystic, Jacapone da Todi, who claimed to experience the same:

The upshot of my argument is this: No, religious experiences and mystical experiences are not necessarily the same. Atheists, such as Sam Harris, can lay claim to mystical experiences and many religious believers have had none.

Nevertheless, religious experiences can "start" off a journey that will eventually lead to mysticism, as happened in the case of Paul.

Therefore the majority of history's mystics, although by no means all, have usually been affiliated with religions.

Also religious people will often relate their mystical experiences to their religion and use terminology applicable to it in their descriptions thereof.
I just have to say, I offer a deep bow to the knowledge that possesses you. :namaste I breathe a sigh of knowing with you, my brother.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is getting tiresome. You have no answers other than to invoke some random mystic again and again.
Let me be blunt. You are clueless to what you level criticism against. Have you ever had any mystical experience at all? If you have, then lets talk about that, rather than your trying to piece together some metal puzzle in your head. Without any Taste of that which transcends any definitions in your mind, you will ever and only be batting at something in your head which is nothing but just that. Let me know if you have anything to bring to the table by way of personal experience so we can have a discussion. If not, well, it's all just theory to you, right? In which case, how do you know anything in this area?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Cafecorridor, you have made the claim:

You cannot experience Christ according to the Christian scriptures.

In alleged support of that claim, you have been willing offer only this:

1. Original Sin
2. Eternal Heaven
3. Eternal Hell
4. Creationism
5. Jesus the only way
6. We're all sinners
7. Judgement Day
8. Resurrection
9. Satan

Which raises to my mind the question of whether you actually believe that your second statement as quoted here in any logical way supports your first statement as quoted here?

I'm willing to shed my ignorance.
I don't doubt that you are indeed willing to shed your ignorance. But what is now at issue here is whether or not you possess an understanding of logic and reasoning sufficient to grasp anything the folks in this thread -- especially Vouthon -- are trying to impart to you. So, please answer my question. Do you think your second statement logically supports your first?