• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious debates. Does it actually have anything to do with religion?

David T

Premium Member
I actually don't see much purpose other than ego to debate religious topics. Am I wrong on this? Its like being overly focused on accounting debating debits and credits. I suppose it's interesting I have zero idea why. There seems to be some who do understand experience here but mostly it just seems a lot of. Philosophicalism and not done very well. Maybe it's just all bad philosophy debates imagining that it's religion. Is that religion?

Addendum: maybe it's just opinions battling and really it's just political science!! Look religion and science as one accedemic study. political science, is that an oxymoron?

Btw my motorcycle is more right than yours more I have proof!! The dead sea scrolls says so and somewhere in revelations and in science as well.
2001-BMW-K1200RSb-1.jpg

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I actually don't see much purpose other than ego to debate religious topics. Am I wrong on this? Its like being overly focused on accounting debating debits and credits. I suppose it's interesting I have zero idea why. There seems to be some who do understand experience here but mostly it just seems a lot of. Philosophicalism and not done very well. Maybe it's just all bad philosophy debates imagining that it's religion. Is that religion?

I don't think it's just about ego. I find religious debates (or any other kind of debate) interesting in order to see if there are any new arguments from either side, to see if there are any arguments I haven't thought of, and/or to see how people respond to various arguments used in a debate. I find that more active and useful knowledge is imparted via debate than simple expository essays or articles.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
It's a fantastic way to learn, teach, correct, and reinforce ideas and beliefs. There's more than ego to it, I'd say, though that certainly is introduced every now and again.

David T

Premium Member
I don't think it's just about ego. I find religious debates (or any other kind of debate) interesting in order to see if there are any new arguments from either side, to see if there are any arguments I haven't thought of, and/or to see how people respond to various arguments used in a debate. I find that more active and useful knowledge is imparted via debate than simple expository essays or articles.
The problem is they are the same exact debates that have gone on for thousands of years without resolution. So based on that it really doesn't have to do with anything at all other than a generational repeat of some intellectual exercise we tend to do and not much more!! Like molting or growing horns and butting heads, or dung Beatles battling over a dung ball!!! That I totAlly understand!!! Ok I guess it DOES serve some purpose now that I think of it!!

lostwanderingsoul

Most people on here are either atheists trying to say bad things about religion or religious people saying bad things about atheists. Not much debate involved.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Yes but you have just put your own opinion in the debate, so what is the difference ?.

David T

Premium Member
Yes but you have just put your own opinion in the debate, so what is the difference ?.
That places unfortunately, religion as basically just politics. So we start with our opinions and that manifests reality around us? I actually tend to think thats normal. Mental for sure but normal. The church still is hampered by that

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
That places unfortunately, religion as basically just politics. So we start with our opinions and that manifests reality around us? I actually tend to think thats normal. Mental for sure but normal.
I wouldn't say that opinions manifest reality, I would say that they create our idea of what we believe our reality is, just because we have an opinion doesn't make it real, we need more than a mere opinion to prove something is right or wrong.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

Addendum: maybe it's just opinions battling and really it's just political science!! Look religion and science as one accedemic study. political science, is that an oxymoron?

"Am I wrong on this?"

Yes, you are wrong and I am right and it could never be any other way.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Most people on here are either atheists trying to say bad things about religion or religious people saying bad things about atheists. Not much debate involved.

I disagree. It is clearly religious people trying to say bad things about atheism and atheist saying bad things about religion.

David T

Premium Member
I disagree. It is clearly religious people trying to say bad things about atheism and atheist saying bad things about religion.
Lol I read that twice!! At first I didn't get it awesome. Ok I appreciate the smart asses here!!!

David T

Premium Member
Ok i have been remind by some that there is also a whole group that loves to laugh at absurdity and loves being even more absurd than the posts. So therefore that is the sole purpose I can find in religious debates that I actually find meaningful. Btw my motorcycle is better than yours.
2001-BMW-K1200RSb-1.jpg

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I have found being in a position where I am trying to explain my views in written text forces me to explore my own thoughts more deeply and completely. Even if I walk away from the keyboard thinking, what an idiot, I still find the activity itself simulating enough.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I actually don't see much purpose other than ego to debate religious topics. Am I wrong on this?...
Sometimes debate is for the purpose of inquiring into our own thoughts. There is internal debate, and there is the thought process that goes into speaking our minds which can sometimes aid thought. Maybe speaking without thinking is not good, but sometimes speaking helps the thinking.

I agree that debate for the purpose of making a point is seldom valuable.

David T

Premium Member
I have found being in a position where I am trying to explain my views in written text forces me to explore my own thoughts more deeply and completely. Even if I walk away from the keyboard thinking, what an idiot, I still find the activity itself simulating enough.
Like an almost self aware forest gump? Lol. Actually this is all a writing exercise for me I am writing a sf book its awesome in my mind just getting it out is difficult. It's a very tiny space and the technology just isn't there yet.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think it's a matter of attitude. Your observation is very right: some people don't understand that certain threads in "Religious Debates" have to be contextualized. There are debates which are meaningful to the people of certain religions, because they make sense to them; but, given that Religious Debates is open to anyone (even to atheists, agnostics, etc...), people who have nothing to do with that particular religion, join the debate, creating a chaotic information exchange. And it's obvious that they don't understand one another.
It has happened to me many times: I was debating something regarding Christianity, and I received opinions from atheists or people of other religions.
All that matters is to understand the difference between the rational sphere and the irrational one.

I agree that debate for the purpose of making a point is seldom valuable.
I think it is valuable. Maybe the thread starter wants to make a point, just because in his mind he says: """Thats what I think about this particular topic. But, I don't know...I may be wrong. Let's see what other people think about it...maybe I will change my mind, after listening to them"""".
And yet other people think and explicitly say """This person, who is wrong, wants to impose us their ideas, because they are presumptuous""".
I deeply believe that people shouldn't see malice in others, because most of the times people are simpler and naiver than we think, and they don't act with malice.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
...I think it is valuable. Maybe the thread starter wants to make a point, just because in his mind he says: """Thats what I think about this particular topic. But, I don't know...I may be wrong. Let's see what other people think about it...maybe I will change my mind, after listening to them""""...
True