• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Concepts

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Faith should be based on sound reasoning and do not conflict true reality.
We must also consider Truth is relative.

When Pilate said to Jesus " What is truth? " Pilate was speaking about ' truth in general ' ( relative truth )
Whereas, Jesus was teaching ' religious truth' meaning that Scripture is: God's religious truth - John 17:17
I find nothing happening today as conflicting with true reality, true reality as taught and found in the pages of Scripture.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yep, Truthis also a religious concept that has no connection to reality.
Well then you are going to be in for quite a shock when the political turns against the religious world. - 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3.
A bad economy could even make the wealth the religions have amassed look like easy taking by the political. Even easy through the banking system.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
As to inhabiting bodies in the next life, this is where it depends upon the traditions/schools.
I think Buddha used concepts like Devas and reincarnation in an attempt to explain things to superstitious people of that era. He did not believe in them. He said once he is no more Brahma and Indra also will not be able to find him - "Gate gate, paragate, parasamagate" (Gone for good, gone completely).

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The term rebirth is to be preferred, because reincarnation is not a Buddhist teaching.
Gate gate, paragate, parasamagate

The final line of the Heart Sutra? It is:
"Gate gate, paragate, parasangate, bodhi svaha."
I understand this to mean:
"Gone, gone, to the other shore, together, awakened right now."

The Heart Sutra is accepted as being composed hundreds of years after the death of the Buddha.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm looking here for concepts that are purely religious or spiritual without any connection to reality.
I'd also like to know if they are a consequence of the religion or if they have to be believed separately.
I know of a few in Christianity, Buddhism and Hinduism like:

• Original Sin
  • Sin (state of)
  • Salvation
  • Heaven
  • Hell
  • Rebirth

What concepts does your religion have?
Are they a consequence from another concept?
Do you believe in them?
What do you mean by no connection to reality for these concepts. Clearly for the religious believers they are an integral part of reality. But of course they may not part of the scientific models of physical reality. Is that what you mean?

Heyo

Veteran Member
What do you mean by no connection to reality for these concepts. Clearly for the religious believers they are an integral part of reality. But of course they may not part of the scientific models of physical reality. Is that what you mean?
Yes, that is what I mean. For me reality is what can be objectively measured, particles, forces, fields.
Things apart from reality exist they are just not real.