• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Brains vs Atheist Brains

james bond

medit2_custom-262615aa650a5c9f3c050ecccb7f9dbe3fb2337c-s800-c85.jpeg

I'm not a believer in neurotheology, but I would think that there is more activity and awareness in the religious brain, especially the frontal lobes, versus that of an atheist brain. This isn't to say that atheists are dull thinkers, but that they do not experience the full sense of consciousness or awareness of that of a religious person. The atheists are in a state of continual dissatisfaction and pain. Through prayer, chanting and meditation, the religious are able to tap into their neurological selves better in order to better achieve a closer to Nirvana or enlightenment state. In this sense, I am for the better enlightenment of all here.

Neurotheology: This Is Your Brain On Religion

David T

Premium Member
The activity in the frontal lobe of the baseline brain appears to curve to the right, while in the meditation brain, it curves to the left. Could this have political implications?
Well its a dull mind vs a dull mind. Now my brain scan was like WOW Mr T that's amazing it's all functioning.

I'm not a believer in neurotheology, but I would think that there is more activity and awareness in the religious brain, especially the frontal lobes, versus that of an atheist brain. This isn't to say that atheists are dull thinkers, but that they do not experience the full sense of consciousness or awareness of that of a religious person. The atheists are in a state of continual dissatisfaction and pain. Through prayer, chanting and meditation, the religious are able to tap into their neurological selves better in order to better achieve a closer to Nirvana or enlightenment state. In this sense, I am for the better enlightenment of all here.

Huh my scan was a lot different. Like the frontal cortex was over run by the entire rest of the cranium.. It's a revolt I tell you!! I am not even sure how I am typing this without the frontal cortex omg..although it is nice to see evidence of dark matter in normal brains. We have proof. Wait the higher functioning area In my brain is working. Never mind.

IMG_20180131_171808.jpg

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I've definitely noted neurological activity and shifting that takes place during meditation. Sometimes you experience a sensation of nerves bulging in the head, and Alan Watts described it in a similar way. That is, something is happening to your brain. I've always noticed it when the brain is being pulled back and quieted through breathing. The mind doesn't like to be quiet, and left to it's own devices- it may not even know how.

socharlie

in Gen 2 it says that Adam had modified CNS which had organs of presence in astral word built in - several glands including pineal - the third eye.
Adam was kicked out into material world in which those organs deteriorated in time. Meditation is one of major restoration of perception organs methods. Atheist have those organs close to dead condition.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I think Meditation is so good for us and I am still too lazy to do it:mad:

Isn't meditation just sitting? ;)

I'm guessing you struggle with the choice between sitting down and doing nothing...

...and lying down and doing nothing? :D

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

On a more serious note, I'm in the process of reading one of the books written on the subject by Dr Anthony Newberg, and his works demonstrates there is a definite correlation between mystic experience and brain activity.

No @Sunstone, I still haven't finished it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Since Buddhism doesn't require a belief in God and these studies were done on Buddhists, I don't why atheism is referenced in the OP.

Meditation is meditation. Theism is not required to meditate.

Otherwise I'm comfortable with the idea that meditation improves one's mental state.

SECULAR MEDITATION

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Isn't meditation just sitting? ;)

I'm guessing you struggle with the choice between sitting down and doing nothing...

...and lying down and doing nothing? :D
Meditation is sitting while focusing the mind on something (like breath or a mantra) and holding that attention as opposed to just sitting and letting the mind jump around like a mad monkey. This trains the mind to focus on where you tell it to be as opposed to where it jumps and causes you anxieties, worries, guilt. Meditation makes you a happier person.

Maybe this thread will get me to make a resolution.

Last edited:

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
New Since Buddhism doesn't require a belief in God and these studies were done on Buddhists, I don't why atheism is referenced in the OP.

I would strongly question the premise that Buddhism doesn't require belief in god. As a very traditional Buddhist, I believe the Buddha when he says he talked to Brahma and others, and he had the awakened eye of Anutara Samyak Sambodhi. It comes close to questioning the Blessed One's judgment when a Buddhist denies there are gods in the cosmos. They say the Tathagata was wrong.

Was the Blessed One mistaken when he spoke of the gods, their karmic effects on the cosmos, and said some of them took refuge in the Triple Gem? What else can we speculate the Buddha was wrong about? What parts of the Dharma are we going to pick out to believe, because we want to be skeptics- thinking our ego sense knows better? What parts of the sublime Dharma are we going to discard?

Buddhism means having faith in the Buddha. That his words and teachings are true. Several monks throughout history have said a Buddhist without faith in the Buddha's full teaching are defaming the Triple Gem.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Meditation is sitting while focusing the mind on something (like breath or a mantra) and holding that attention as oppose to just sitting and letting the mind jump around like a mad monkey. This trains the mind to focus on where you tell it to be as opposed to where it jumps and causes you anxieties, worries, guilt. Meditation makes you a happier person.

Maybe this thread will get me to make a resolution.

Meditation is less about "focusing the mind" than it is about creating a distraction for the mind in order to bring stillness, so one can achieve total awareness in the present moment.

I'm not sure mediation makes one 'happier' (while I'm sure many enjoy such a benefit), but it does lead to understanding the Self and aids in the realization of one's true nature.

Indeed focusing on the breath can aid one in bringing stillness, but perhaps changing your goal from 'focusing the mind' to 'silencing the mind' might aid you in what you wish to accomplish?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Meditation is less about "focusing the mind" than it is about creating a distraction for the mind in order to bring stillness, so one can achieve total awareness in the present moment.

I'm not sure mediation makes one 'happier' (while I'm sure many enjoy such a benefit), but it does lead to understanding the Self and aids in the realization of one's true nature.

Indeed focusing on the breath can aid one in bringing stillness, but perhaps changing your goal from 'focusing the mind' to 'silencing the mind' might aid you in what you wish to accomplish?
Right, for me focusing the mind on one thing is stilling as opposed to my usual mad monkey mind. Maybe after years of meditation I can achieve something close to stillness.

siti

I'm just relieved that they have discovered something happening in the brains of the profoundly religious - it gives me hope!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

This research only deals with the effects of deep meditation and prayer on the brain and not religious belief as such. Atheists, indeed, also meditate. Many Zen Buddhists are atheist and spend a great deal of of their life deep meditating. This research deals with the effect of a physical activity manifest on the right frontal lobe of the brain. It would be logical that meditation would activate the brain in this way based on what we know of the different lobes of the brain.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I'm just relieved that they have discovered something happening in the brains of the profoundly religious - it gives me hope!

Actually, not those that are profoundly religious, just those who practice deep meditation or prayer regardless of religious belief.

Many Zen Buddhists are atheist and practice deep meditation much of their life.

Last edited: