• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

religious artifacts used by members of Zoroastrianism

jerzybg

Hi,
I am very curious what religious artifacts (except kusti (koshti?) and some badges)you
use in your everyday religious life?
I mean ceremonial objects being used when praying and so on...
You probably do not use any prayer beads.
I personally have got a copy of kusti and some badges that are a part
of my Virtual Museum of religious artifacts at: http://jerzybg.republika.pl
Thank you for any information.
jerzybg

ashai

Ushta Jerzybg

Well that depends what school of Zoroastrrianism you belong to, where you are etc. Normally all Zoroastrians wear the Sadreh a white cotton undershirt with a vneck , every day and all times (next to skin

The Kushti is worn everyday only by the more conservatives , although , individual practice among liberals may vary.

Zoroastrians, almost all, use what is called a devo a devotional light that is usually some form of fire , but some times an electric light;

Conservative Parsis use prayer beads, as a matter of fact, there is one legend that claims Zarathushtra threw his prayer beads at an assailant. Its probable that Zoroastrian prayer beads pre-date Buddhist ones, and they pre-date Christianity.

Parsis wear all sorts of 'fancies' to Temple. Hats either white , black or red, according to which calendar they follow. They also use an Afrinagan, a fire base, instead of the Devo. They wear white leggins to Temple as well. Parsi priests use Alats which are a series of tools to manipulate the fire, pound the haoma, etc

Old time Iranian Zoroastrians use a head covering (white) for males and head scarves (Different colors except black) for women. Most converts only use the Sadreh at all times and the Kushti for important occasions and Temple visits

Hope this has helped, Google Zoroastrian practices and see what you come up with!

Ushta Te
Ashai

jerzybg

Hi ashai,
Thank you for the information, especially on Sadreh, devo and prayer beads used by Parsis.
What term is correct in English? "Kushti" or "Kusti"?
Have you ever seen a copy of prayer beads used by Parsis?
Does a devo have any prescribed form? Is it used only at your homes?

Best wishes
jerzybg

ashai

jerzybg said:
Hi ashai,
Thank you for the information, especially on Sadreh, devo and prayer beads used by Parsis.
What term is correct in English? "Kushti" or "Kusti"?
Have you ever seen a copy of prayer beads used by Parsis?
Does a devo have any prescribed form? Is it used only at your homes?

Best wishes
jerzybg

Ushta jerzybg

Its a Young Avestan word and thus it has no correct way of being written in English , the u sound is oo/ Young Avestab has its own alphabet which is not Western and its hard to use, for us, thus it is usually transliterated. in transliteration I have seen it written both ways. The original was probably Kushti

I have seen pictures of Parsi prayer beads. They are larger than Western ones and dark in color

The Devo can be almost any form. But it is usually an oil lamp . I have never seen it used outside the home but there is no reason why except that most Zarathushtis have the devo as a part of a prayer altar at their homes. Also when we pray outdoors we use either he sun or the moon as a form of 'fire; in our prayers.

Ushta te
Ashai:bow:

jerzybg

Hi ashai,
Do you have any image of your prayer altar at your homes?
It would be very interesting for many non-zoroastrians to see your altar.

Best wishes
jerzybg

ashai

jerzybg said:
Hi ashai,
Do you have any image of your prayer altar at your homes?
It would be very interesting for many non-zoroastrians to see your altar.

Best wishes
jerzybg

Ushta Jerzybg

Sorry:( I was absent for a while I can get you pictures of prayer altars . Usually, though the ones at homes are not that big they are corners so to speak. I can post fire temple pictures and maybe if I can get myfriend to send me some pics she does have a really big one in her house!:dan:

Ushta te
Ashai