• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious announcements

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm perhaps a wee bit odd since I like this (Hafiz "I Heard God Laughing")

A Barroom View of Love

I would not want all my words
To parade around this world In pretty costumes,
So I will tell you something
Of the Barroom view of Love.

Love is grabbing hold of the Great Lion’s mane
And wrestling and rolling deep into Existence
While the Beloved gets rough
And begins to maul you alive.

True Love, my dear, Is putting an ironclad grip upon
The sore, swollen balls
Of a Divine Rogue Elephant
And
Not having the good fortune to Die!

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
20191205_120638.png

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
It is a very delicious and moist cake. It's a chocolate cake, and using real cocoa it makes it divine.

Hmm. I have a hard time seeing a Krishna piece sitting on top a chocolate cake. Not sure how to incorporate that. Maybe baby Krishna playing in the mud?

Well, here's an almost chocolate looking Krishna cake, anyway:

3qJZ9wv.jpg

Terry Sampson

Do Jews tend to regard Jesus as the Messiah?
There's a very small group of Jews who do: once called "Jews for Jesus". Jews for Jesus: Sharing Our Faith in Jesus as Messiah to our Jewish People
But there are probably far more Jews who are atheists or agnostics than there are JfJs. There other groups who do who call themselves Messianic Jews. Messianic Judaism - Wikipedia [Note: Technically, I suppose, the JfJs are MJs, but I'm not sure how the labels are used. (There's a Messianic Judaism DIR here in RF, but I don't know how many active MFs there are here.)]
I may be mistaken, but I think I've come across a few (very few) folks who claim to be Jewish, believe in Jesus, and have some beliefs that may or may not qualify them as MFs. I get dizzy trying to keep track, so I bother myself over them as little as possible.
Interesting (to me) trivia: There a lot of Non-Jews who are not Christians who believe Jesus was Israel's Messiah: I think that would include the Baha'i. Then there are the Muslims. According to the Qur'an, Allah believed Jesus was Israel's Messiah. If he doesn't, then he thought "Christ" was Jesus' last name.
And finally, some members here in RF believe that they are the Messiah.

Last edited:

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
There exists a thread in the Games section where people post random thoughts about anything.

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 2!

I would like to try a religion-centered version and see how it goes. We can talk about where our faith is leading us, etc., or it can be even a simple post like "I bought a Bible today." Atheists/agnostics can also post in this to learn or discuss, but please don't come with a serious bone to pick about religion ;)

Now a couple of things to keep in mind. We have to be careful not to prosetylize in this thread since it's against the rules. Also, I'm posting this thread in a board where it's about discussion rather than debate.

Okay, I'll start...

I'm happy to have found Lord Vishnu in my heart. I look forward to learning more about Hinduism over the coming weeks. I dream of having a nice potluck with some Hindu people, even if potlucks are more of a Christian thing and we would have to be careful to make foods that aren't against people's diets.

I want to be less...afraid of the...sorta overwhelming...intense feeling of being loved that is so much more....intense and total and...unworldly....unlike regular life and ordinary love I've often felt and had plenty of, but so much deeper, so perfect...that at times I almost want to just go do something like an escape, back to old habits, like be more normal the old way, with simple pleasures I control, instead of it happening to me without my control.

So...that's it. I want to give up trying to be in control of that overwhelming love that has come in the last few years after I started loving God with all of my heart and soul and strength. And learn to....accept being in that. I'm trying. I'm trying to be ok with something so much more than me.

Apparently a lot of others that tell about this have adjusted -- they write songs about it. I think I can get there.

Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
There exists a thread in the Games section where people post random thoughts about anything.

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 2!

I would like to try a religion-centered version and see how it goes. We can talk about where our faith is leading us, etc., or it can be even a simple post like "I bought a Bible today." Atheists/agnostics can also post in this to learn or discuss, but please don't come with a serious bone to pick about religion ;)

Now a couple of things to keep in mind. We have to be careful not to prosetylize in this thread since it's against the rules. Also, I'm posting this thread in a board where it's about discussion rather than debate.

Okay, I'll start...

I'm happy to have found Lord Vishnu in my heart. I look forward to learning more about Hinduism over the coming weeks. I dream of having a nice potluck with some Hindu people, even if potlucks are more of a Christian thing and we would have to be careful to make foods that aren't against people's diets.
Not meaningless for me, but in Easter Latter-day Saints will celebrate the two hundredth anniversary that Joseph Smith got the Book of Mormon with the help of an angel.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@KAT-KAT ,

People who practice Judaism do not believe in "Christ". The "Christ" concept is Greek. Many people want Jesus to "fit" the Jewish version of the Messiah. But. It does not fit. There are people whose heritage includes Jewish people, and they might have Jewish roots. But as soon as they shift to worshiping through Christ. Bam. It's no longer a Jewish practice at that moment.

Here's an analogy.

Let's say I was born into a family of Buddhists. Grandma, Grandpa, Momma, Papa, and Baby, we're all Buddhists. OK. The minute I ( the baby ) buy a McDonald's franchise and start selling BigMacs... Yo. I am not practicing Buddhism any more. Not as long as I am selling people BigMacs.

It's like that.

A person might have all 4 grandparents ethnically Jewish. And they observe Shabbot. And they give Charity, and wear a prayer shall when they pray... IMHO all of that is perfectly Kosher. But... As soon as in their heart, in their mind, in their soul, they pray thru Jesus. Bam. It's not a Jewish practice at that moment.

If they can shift their mind set and execute other Jewish ritual/practice so that it's not in Jesus' name... My vote: it's back to being kosher. I think other people will disagree with me. But that's how I feel.

The thing is, most people who believe in Jesus, they incorporate that into their daily lives. into their daily thoughts. it's a religion... there is no shifting away from Jesus and then back again. I have never seen or met someone who does that. And... I dated a Jew For Jesus in HighSchool. OK. Her parents were Jewish, and She wore a necklace, with a Jewish-Star on it, with a cross through the middle. My experience getting to know her, her family, and some of their friends... it was all about Jesus. They wanted to blend the two, Judaism and Jesus.... but it didn't really turn out to be a blend. It was all about Jesus.

So even if they come from a Jewish family, what makes **THE Practice Jewish** is what's happening inside their heart. And if their heart is operating **thru** Jesus. It's not a Jewish practice.

It's not wrong, bad, evil, or anything. It is what it is. I cannot say that Jesus is not the savior for Christians... why would I? Unfortunately, sadly, other people do not offer the same respect to Judaism.

So the distinction that I think needs to be made... maybe ... when talking about Jesus as the Jewish messiah, and who believes what... the distinction should be, is it a Jewish Practice. Are these people Practicing Judaism?

In light of that:

Yes, a Jewish person technically could think that Jesus is the Jewish Messiah. They would be wrong. But it's just an option, i guess. It could be that the person is simply ignorant about what it really means to be the Jewish Messiah. People don't know better, so they think this other guy is it.

OK.

Fine.

But if a person ( even in ignorance ) prays thru Jesus. that practice is not Jewish. it doesn't change the person on some deep spiritual level if they do. It's not paranormal. It's just simple logic. While a person is praying thru Jesus they are not practicing Judaism.

MonkeyFire

In my religion I teach that equanimity can end your suffering with inner peace. Like air decomposing a dead body. The prince of the power of the air (but, not satan).

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
he who knows self knows their lord, the infinite I that i am. there is something deep inside of me that's got to be free. i'm in the absolute and the absolute is within me.

their is a hanuman in the mirror, you big galoot

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
he who knows self knows their lord, the infinite I that i am. there is something deep inside of me that's got to be free. i'm in the absolute and the absolute is within me.

their is a hanuman in the mirror, you big galoot

Tina knows what to do... Freedom means starting out slow and smooth, then change it up... whenever ya want. If ya want to... if ya want to... The beat keeps on rolling... what we do with it is our choice. Freedom.

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm happy to have found Lord Vishnu in my heart. I look forward to learning more about Hinduism over the coming weeks.
That's so amazing! :eek: :D

Hmm. I have a hard time seeing a Krishna piece sitting on top a chocolate cake. Not sure how to incorporate that. Maybe baby Krishna playing in the mud?

Well, here's an almost chocolate looking Krishna cake, anyway:

View attachment 34932
That's ghee! (butter) As an infant Lord Krishna would steal all the ghee he could find in the village :D