• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religions that are actually evil?

Theweirdtophat

Some like to think that whatever religion is different from theirs is evil, but that isn't so. It just means it's different. Some would say all Muslims are evil but I know that's a lie because I know there are good Muslims out there.

The only religions that are actually evil are usually small cult like religions, most of which people haven't heard of. Some would call Scientology evil but I think some are just unethical or greedy than evil. Are there any religious groups that are actually evil? Any that are pretty much universally accepted to be evil and teach bad morals? The ones I can think of are extremist groups within religions or small evil cults. Does anyone know them?

People can say which religions are bad like Muslims, Hindus, ect. But people should be wary of the religious extremists within those religions or the small evil cults that have done criminal stuff.

vaguelyhumanoid

Broadly-defined religions are too varied to be evil. But sects certainly can be. Daesh's brand of Islam is evil. The Westboro Baptist brand of Christianity is evil. And whenever someone uses religion as a motive to beat up a nonbeliever or send their teenage child to an ex-gay camp, that person's religiosity is evil.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Absolutes and extremes don't usually work well for most things, in most areas. I can say I dislike Islam most of the religions I know of/about (it would be hard to call it or any religion flat-out evil)...that doesn't say anything specific about Muslims as people.

I think it would take a "special" person to see all the members of X religion as evil and I've never heard it personally...on here or in the real world.

Theweirdtophat

Oh I understand the branches and sects that are described as evil, but I was also referring to the religions themselves that are actually evil, which are usually small cultish religions that have no branches and are usually secretive and commit crimes.

vaguelyhumanoid

Oh I understand the branches and sects that are described as evil, but I was also referring to the religions themselves that are actually evil, which are usually small cultish religions that have no branches and are usually secretive and commit crimes.

Again, Daesh (more commonly known as ISIS) would fit the bill.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Blood for Baal! Blood for Baal!
OUqk32X.png

Owneh

No religion can be evil.

If the actions and religion you follow you believe to be gods/the creators will, then even the most evil (from an outside perspective) deeds aren't of bad intentions as that person believes that what they are doing is their diety's will (which therefore makes their actions good).

If cults sacrifice someone for example, and they believe that is gods will, then are they evil? From their own; no. From someone who doesn't believe in their religion, possibly. It's all about perspective, but no religion can truely be labeled wholly evil as their intentions are never bad. If they believe their god wants a sacrifice then if they take that action, they are not evil people in themselves.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Does anyone know them?
Christianity is purposefully evil, it is a snare established within the Tanakh, and by the Torah (Law) to catch out the workers of iniquity....
  • Accusing God of first degree murder.
  • Washing in, and drinking the blood of somebody.
  • To say it is good news, that your best friend was murdered in front of his mother.
  • To make a covenant with somebody's death, so you can claim to be sinless.
  • To murder someone, so you can steal their inheritance.
  • Etc... :innocent:

Last edited:

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Lovesong's Seven Deadly Sins of Religion:

Although I wouldn't say "evil," I believe a religion is bad or harmful if...

1. it teaches un-acceptance or hate towards a certain group.
2. it preaches complete and total submission to a leader or prohibits individuality or free through.
3. it denies science or discourages medical, scientific, or technological advancements.
4. it promises eternal torture if followers don't obey the rules.
5. it shames sex or the body.
6. it makes people feel bad for, or stops people from, doing things they want to do.
7. it makes people do, or makes people feel bad for not doing, things they don't want to do.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Some like to think that whatever religion is different from theirs is evil, but that isn't so. It just means it's different. Some would say all Muslims are evil but I know that's a lie because I know there are good Muslims out there.

The only religions that are actually evil are usually small cult like religions, most of which people haven't heard of. Some would call Scientology evil but I think some are just unethical or greedy than evil. Are there any religious groups that are actually evil? Any that are pretty much universally accepted to be evil and teach bad morals? The ones I can think of are extremist groups within religions or small evil cults. Does anyone know them?

People can say which religions are bad like Muslims, Hindus, ect. But people should be wary of the religious extremists within those religions or the small evil cults that have done criminal stuff.
Given the subjectivity of the word "evil" .....

Timothy Bryce

Um, like the Catholic Church?

The only way the Catholic Church strays from what you just defined is that it is not "small" but rather the richest and most powerful organisation the world has ever seen.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Exactly. What's considered evil by one person might be considered virtuous by another.
I disagree.
Unlike other misfortunes, those considered to be evil arise out of the intention of others. For an act to be evil it must intended to do harm to another. Now, you may not think that deliberately chopping off someone's left arm when they don't want you to is evil, but I wouldn't think such a thing "might be considered virtuous by another." In fact, I would put those who think such an act is really bad, even evil, at at least 99.9999%. So let's not quibble about the crazy 0.0001% who don't. Point being, there a lot of acts that are simply so reprehensible that it would be perverse to deny their evilness. Gotta stay real. Therefore, I consider an evil act or person as something or someone involving deliberate harm. In short, Evil = deliberate, uncalled for harm; "uncalled for" to distinguish it from acts of defense, and "harm" being physical or mental damage.

The question of something being evil therefore depends on whether or not an act was uncalled for and deliberately done to inflict physical or mental damage. And I think this rather simple requisite can be applied easily enough to determine if the word "evil" is an appropriate descriptive.

Last edited:

Tomorrows_Child

I agree, it is mainly smaller cults, so prolific in the US for some reason, that are truly evil.

Most major world religions have a degree of good in them and the religious texts and personalities have laid down the foundation of most modern laws and rules and regulations. they have shown a positive benefit to society.

Small cults rarely, if ever, do such things.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
The only real groups focused on evil are the Anti-cosmic Luciferians (Misanthropic Luciferian Order/Temple of the Black Light), Order of Nine Angles (culling, etc), and Joy of Satan(Ties to Nazi extremism, etc.). There are also Mexican gangsters that pray to Jesus Malverde (patron saint of drug traffickers) and Santa Meurte (Saint Death, as in to help them kill enemies...). They would probably consider themselves Catholic, but honestly by any moral consideration this is evil. :)

We can of course always argue that Daesh is evil, and that any extremist religion is really going into the dark zone.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I guess I agree, although I think you are missing the point.

[quoteThe only religions that are actually evil are usually small cult like religions, most of which people haven't heard of. [/quote]

I sure wish I could agree.

I can not agree.

Some would call Scientology evil but I think some are just unethical or greedy than evil.
Evil is the result. You are attempting to claim that the causes are more significant that the effects because they are "only" seriously misguided. I can't approve of that.

Are there any religious groups that are actually evil?
Definitely. Homophoby, imperialism, racism, to mention three out of the top of my mind, are evil causes supposed by thousands of religious groups.

It would be rather surprising if there were no evil religious groups. A lot of their reasons for being, after all, is to promote some form of moral values or another.

Any that are pretty much universally accepted to be evil and teach bad morals?
"Universally" is a pretty demanding qualifier. Particularly when there is such a strong trend of attempting to sugarcoat perceptions and hoping that things will somehow set themselves right if we don't confront them too much.

Even so, it is not really that hard to find examples. Jim Jones' group; the former configuration of Heaven's Gate; Aum Shinrikyo.

The ones I can think of are extremist groups within religions or small evil cults. Does anyone know them?

Evil, by its very nature, will indeed mask and/or limit itself.

Indeed. That is one of the reasons why I have come to disapprove the above mentioned sugarcoating.

Grumpuss

All of those are value-based judgments. Adherents of various religions, even Satanists, believe they are right and therefore "good". It takes external observers, from competing religions, to label others as wrong or evil.

The only people that are truly evil are those that society judges as sociopaths. The truth is, such people are either mentally ill and not responsible for their deeds, or in rare cases- they are doing the work of demons in service to Satan.

Demons are never to be trusted, even if they promise to enrich you with material wealth or all the intimate knowledge of the universe.