• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religions of the world

King Phenomenon

I think it's a wonderful thing that there are so many different religions in the world and that everybody has their own beliefs. Whether it be Christianity Islam Buddhism Hinduism or any of the others. We're not here that long. What a wonderful and precious thing life is.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
I think it's a wonderful thing that there are so many different religions in the world and that everybody has their own beliefs. Whether it be Christianity Islam Buddhism Hinduism or any of the others. We're not here that long. What a wonderful and precious thing life is.

You described a situation. And here is how to face it:

1. Be human, and consider the situation of the followers of any religion, as if you were born in their situation, you will probably ended up following their religion.

2. Then, logically these many religions are contradicting each others, and they just can't be all true. You will need to find out the true one.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But the myriad religions are not an unalloyed boon. Religion is often divisive.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Yes sort of - But the fact is that all religions have the same origin in their Stories of Creation. The bad thing is when priests and politicians misinterpret the common and global religious context and abuse it for personal and political powers.

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money

in quran god says
13 O people! We created you from a male and a female, and made you races and tribes, that you may know one another. The best among you in the sight of God is the most righteous. God is All-Knowing, Well-Experienced.

I believe that a decent man who does virtue, righteousness and charity,
Is closer to the religion of truth

I believe that everyone from all religions will love your participation if you have giving, generosity and noble qualities

Shia Islam

Premium Member
As the saying goes, “they can’t all be true, but they can all be false”
just add atheism to set of religions, and you will an ex
As the saying goes, “they can’t all be true, but they can all be false”

Just add atheism to them, and the religion of those who pick and choose, and the truth will be among them.

The main idea is that you will have to search for the truth, not just look and say how beautiful is this multi-color set of religions?!!!

firedragon

Veteran Member

Religious differences are very small in comparison to other power, money, territory and future-power based differences and actually religious differences are also mostly fuelled by the same "power, money, territory and future-power based differences". Mostly.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
just add atheism to set of religions, and you will an ex

Just add atheism to them, and the religion of those who pick and choose, and the truth will be among them.

The main idea is that you will have to search for the truth, not just look and say how beautiful is this multi-color set of religions?!!!

Atheism is a religion in the same way as not collecting stamps is a hobby.

ChristineM

Premium Member

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The alternative view might be - it's a mystery - so deal with it, rather than inventing excuses (and providing the basis for so many conflicts). :oops:

ChristineM

Premium Member
it does not have to be a religion to be in need to be investigated before accepting it.

Atheism requires only one thing, disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods. Nothing more, nothing less. What is to investigate.

Shia Islam

Premium Member
Atheism requires only one thing, disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods. Nothing more, nothing less. What is to investigate.

With all respect, it is not that simple.

Atheism is thousands of years old stance. Embracing atheism will leave you with philosophical questions that you will never find answers to.

Ancient atheists were globally recognized philosophers who honestly tried to solve these questions.

Just compare this to "the Delusion of God"

There is no comparison.

By the way, I used to debate atheists before.

However, I reached a conclusion that many atheists are atheists by choice.

And for many of them, it is like taking a stance against a God who is the end cause of their suffering, so in retaliation they decided to deny his existence!!

Currently I rarely engage in such debates.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Atheism is thousands of years old stance. Embracing atheism will leave you with philosophical questions that you will never find answers to.
It's not a stance, nor does it entail any philosophical questions.
And for many of them, it is like taking a stance against a God who is the end cause of their suffering, so in retaliation they decided to deny his existence!!
We're not suffering, nor are we blaming a God we don't believe in. :confused: We are not retaliating for anything.
I think you're imputing a false motivation to a demographic and an idea you find threatening.[/QUOTE]

ChristineM

Premium Member

Ancient atheists were globally recognized philosophers who honestly tried to solve these questions.

Just compare this to "the Delusion of God"

There is no comparison.

By the way, I used to debate atheists before.

However, I reached a conclusion that many atheists are atheists by choice.

Currently I rarely engage in such debates.

You telling a 35 year atheist what i am.

The definition is specific, your debating is pretty irrelevant compared to the Oxford English Dictionary (An just about any other dictionary)

What philosophical questions, 'is there a god'... 'no'... End of story. And applying your mindset to other people is a lost cause

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Atheism is thousands of years old stance. Embracing atheism will leave you with philosophical questions that you will never find answers to. Ancient atheists were globally recognized philosophers who honestly tried to solve these questions.

Actually, atheism is the default position (always has been), and perhaps us atheists are brave enough to live a life without necessarily producing any 'appropriate' explanations (or fantasies as they are commonly known) for our existence - and where we might have several to choose from. Like you have settled on one. Think it is the right one? What gives you the arrogance to think this? :(

By the way, I used to debate atheists before. However, I reached a conclusion that many atheists are atheists by choice. And for many of them, it is like taking a stance against a God who is the end cause of their suffering, so in retaliation they decided to deny his existence!! Currently I rarely engage in such debates.

Just like many are religious by choice - although so many are not, and seemingly have inherited this from their parental influences or culture. Who is more free? I was lucky in not having such indoctrination.

The comment about suffering is laughable, since often it is religious beliefs that cause so much suffering. :D

I don't bother debating with the religious much either since so often they rely on some religious text they have consumed wholesale and believe every last drop. And they expect me to debate such!

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Just like many are religious by choice - although so many are not, and seemingly have inherited this from their parental influences or culture. Who is more free? I was lucky in not having such indoctrination.
To not be raised in any religion is just as much an indoctrination: it is teaching a child that religion is insignificant and unnecessary. Most children (not all) grow up to remain without religion.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
To not be raised in any religion is just as much an indoctrination: it is teaching a child that religion is insignificant and unnecessary. Most children (not all) grow up to remain without religion.

I hardly think so. By indoctrination I mean there was no explicit religious teaching at home. I got the usual stuff at school and my mother tried to get me to go to Sunday School (just up the road) but I preferred to be out playing with all the other kids. It's possible my mother did have some religious belief but she didn't impose it on us - for which I am grateful. Her behaviour alone was the best example I could have had as to how to act in life since she was a very nice, cheerful, caring, intelligent person - despite all she went through as a child. I think you have a funny idea about freedom. If we were all taught about the various religious beliefs as children and then allowed to choose as we wished, then I think this would be better - but the religious are not usually amenable to such for good reasons - children might choose another religion or none.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I hardly think so. By indoctrination I mean there was no explicit religious teaching at home. I got the usual stuff at school and my mother tried to get me to go to Sunday School (just up the road) but I preferred to be out playing with all the other kids. It's possible my mother did have some religious belief but she didn't impose it on us - for which I am grateful. Her behaviour alone was the best example I could have had as to how to act in life since she was a very nice, cheerful, caring, intelligent person - despite all she went through as a child. I think you have a funny idea about freedom. If we were all taught about the various religious beliefs as children and then allowed to choose as we wished, then I think this would be better - but the religious are not usually amenable to such for good reasons - children might choose another religion or none.
I stand by what I said. Indoctrination can happen in many ways. Example is much more powerful than lecturing.