• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religions in Vietnam

Alea iacta est

Pretend that I wrote something cool.
I arrived in Vietnam in the beginning of the pandemic and I have been here since then. I'm curious of the different religions there are in Vietnam. Buddhism is the biggest one. But many parts of Buddhism have clear roots to folk religions (especially the Chinese folk religion) as far as I can see.

An example is all the altars that can be seen at different companies including stores etc unless they are Christians. The altars have two small gods. I don't remember the names of them, but one is the god of wealth and the other one is the protector of the buildings. There is a text in Chinese that I have no idea of what it means. Please see the attached pictures.

VN religion.jpg chinese text.jpg

There are some godess(es) religion as well that I don't know anything about.

I have friends who belong to Cao Dai. This religion is basically a mix between all the world religions. They have a decease
d relative who was some kind of high priest in this religion.

There are supposed to be more religions as well but I don't know anything about them.

How can I learn more about any of the religions in Vietnam despite I don't speak nor understand Vietnamese?