• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religions derived from sci-fi films, especially simulation theory

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Why do people adopt incredibly complicated and thus improbable worldviews from science fiction movies, especially simulation theory? A friend of mine also believes in it. A saying I once heard from a psychiatric nurse, which belongs set in stone, is that Matrix would have produced a whole generation of delusional people. However, I still believe that patients' religious attitudes should be taken seriously as a matter of principle. But if you're going to derive a religion from science fiction movies, why not from Star Wars? The appeal of the very first Star Wars trilogy was also to sell the viewer, after the nihilistic 1970s, a religious belief that the universe cares about them, a belief in the Force. So, why aren't there more people promoting belief in the Force, when it is much more similar to a traditional religion than simulation theory?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Star Wars is so overrated, honestly. It's totally pop. It's enjoyable, but I don't see any deep philosophy being derived from it, imo. Just a cultish fandom.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why do people adopt incredibly complicated and thus improbable worldviews from science fiction movies, especially simulation theory? A friend of mine also believes in it. A saying I once heard from a psychiatric nurse, which belongs set in stone, is that Matrix would have produced a whole generation of delusional people. However, I still believe that patients' religious attitudes should be taken seriously as a matter of principle. But if you're going to derive a religion from science fiction movies, why not from Star Wars? The appeal of the very first Star Wars trilogy was also to sell the viewer, after the nihilistic 1970s, a religious belief that the universe cares about them, a belief in the Force. So, why aren't there more people promoting belief in the Force, when it is much more similar to a traditional religion than simulation theory?

I am not religious but i can see how Arthur C Clarkes "Chrislam' could appeal to some abrahamic followers.

Last edited:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
My only response would be that The Matrix resonates with so many people is because its seemingly outlandish premise happens to be fundimentally true. And on some level, people intuitively know this.

However I would deny that the scenario in The Matrix films is Simulation Theory, as in the films organic humans are plugged into a virtual reality, which is not Sim Theory (as I understand it) although granted, it is similar

It's more a version of the brain-in-a-vat idea

And I think that Simulation Theory pre-dates The Matrix - e.g. that German thing from the 1970s

Also, I believe the origin of a religion (or world view) has nothing to do with its veracity so I don't think you can knock Sim Theory just because so many people came to it via The Matrix films

BTW, you may be interested in this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

The people that believe in it, probably had a huge Metaphysical/Spiritual Experience/Enlightenment/psychotic episode or w/e, when not expected, it puts the body under duress. This causes what is known as Dissociation, if the dissociation is deep enough, one feels as if the "outside" world is fake/simulated, and all that exists is Mind.

I know, because it happened to me in November. I would get into panic states that would cause me to feel like everything around me was a film/movie/fake. This is because you have separated yourself completely from external input via dissociating. It's normal.

But if one does not understand this process, it can lead to views such as believing the world is in actuality a simulation.

There is more mind trickery involved, this is just the simplest I can explain it.

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Lucas got some of his idea for Star Wars from the work of Joseph Campbell and even credited Campbell for it. So it is no surprise that Star Wars would have a mythological, religious nature as the backdrop. But it does seem strange that people have not rallied to find some new religion within it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

An Absurdly Large Number Of Australians Say Their Religion Is The Force | HuffPost

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
If God(s), or whoever, created this world and originated in another world, then this world would be an alternate reality from their own... or, a “simulation”. I don’t really like that word though, because for whatever reason for certain people it implies that something is fake, not actually real, or illegitimate. This world is very real.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
If God(s), or whoever, created this world and originated in another world, then this world would be an alternate reality from their own... or, a “simulation”. I don’t really like that word though, because for whatever reason for certain people it implies that something is fake, not actually real, or illegitimate. This world is very real.

Wonderful explanation