• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion with Asexual values

LightFreak

I am wondering if any religion guru out there know of any religion that promotes absolute sex-less living. My friend is an absolute asexual (was born with complete lack of sexual interest or attraction towards male or female) and I've known her all my life. She feels alone in the world because she can't relate to the 99.9% of us and I really feel for her. I think she would feel better if she could be part of a religious group or religion that strictly practiced sex-less life. She has found online asexual communities and websites but I was wondering if any religion practiced and thought complete and absolute sex-less lives. If you do, please let me know!

Cypress

Dragon Mom
Jain?
Theradvada Buddhism?

Why does your friend have no sexual needs, is she healthy?
Perhaps she should ask a gynecologist & have her hormone level checked?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I vaguely remember reading about such a religion, but I cannot find anything about it.

However, chances are it would probably be easier to join a religion that permits celibacy. Buddhism, Jainism, Hinduism, and even Catholicism permit one to be celibate for spiritual reasons.

However, I do agree with Cypress: she should have her hormone levels checked and such, to make sure there is no underlying illness, God forbid that to be the case.

Hope this helps. :)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I'm curious, too. The instinct to mate is generally as potent as the instinct to eat.

Monastics have different ways of coping with the mating instinct as they do with coping with, say, their vows of poverty. They're not for people wanting a life of escape from what we experience.

Just my two cents. :)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I am wondering if any religion guru out there know of any religion that promotes absolute sex-less living. My friend is an absolute asexual (was born with complete lack of sexual interest or attraction towards male or female) and I've known her all my life. She feels alone in the world because she can't relate to the 99.9% of us and I really feel for her. I think she would feel better if she could be part of a religious group or religion that strictly practiced sex-less life. She has found online asexual communities and websites but I was wondering if any religion practiced and thought complete and absolute sex-less lives. If you do, please let me know!
As far as I know even religions which tarditioanlly might carry the stereotype of a life of abstaining from the material phenomena such as sex life in reality are not like that, and the religion actually recommends living a full life, having a partner, and experiencing all the 'normal' things such as a healthy sex life, a life of abstaining from all sexual and 'material' activities are chosen by those few individuals who choose to do so, and they are an exception. for example if we take Hinduism, the most celebrated heroes of Hindu folklore, Rama and Krishna lived a full life of political activity, sexuality, marriage, and luxury.

LightFreak

Jain?
Theradvada Buddhism?

Why does your friend have no sexual needs, is she healthy?
Perhaps she should ask a gynecologist & have her hormone level checked?

Yes! My friend has be checked by numerous doctors from different part of the country and she is absolutely healthy and above average intelligence. Her hormonal levels are perfect and her private parts are in order.
Until she figured out there is nothing in for her, she tried to have relationships with men and women and with different partners but to her there is absolutely no sexual turn on whatsoever. She simply cant understand why other people get turned on. She just doesn't understand the concept of sex although she knows about it must like someone who has been deaf from birth known that other people can hear.
I didn't understand myself how this could be but I have known her for many years and I know her very well and she really is the way she says she is.

Othewise she is absolutely like everyone else.
She is actually very pretty, happy, she loves the movies, music and she's got a great sense of humor.

Even in the animal world, it is estimated that 1% of all animals are asexual; the just don't do the nasty.

Last edited:

Delilah Roo

I think the Shaker were non-sexual. But I think the lack of reproducing sort of put them out of business. No new people in a religion tends to make it not have a lot of longevity. Good Luck. There certainly is a lot more to life than sex.

Maybe she should look into a support group or find something like that. There are answers to life's questions that don't involve a belief in any god.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend LightFreak,

Religion with Asexual values

Religion means a path or a way.
A path or a way to what?
To the no-mind or mind where thoughts are STILL
in other words religion means a path or a way to transcend the mind itself and reach that thought free state.
In that respect all religions are asexual as sex has nothing to do with transcendence of the mind.
Personally am like your friend being single and no attraction towards sex from childhood., am 56 now and follow dharma independently.
Yes, dharmic religions could be said to be more suitable for your friend and she has to find her own way by reading understanding and practicing dharma from where she is before any guru calls her.

Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend MS,

I'm curious, too. The instinct to mate is generally as potent as the instinct to eat.

Monastics have different ways of coping with the mating instinct as they do with coping with, say, their vows of poverty. They're not for people wanting a life of escape from what we experience.

Just my two cents.

To dispel your curiosity like to inform you that it is not necessary being asexual one has to live in a monastery. Personally am asexual, single and live a normal life in society by doing professional work as a marketing professional.
Besides monks are not coping with poverty or sexual desires they are just trying to transcend their desires which find ways of expression in humans through the culture of thoughts. Yes, every human being born will have a mind which will try and divert the individuals attenton towards such desires but those who understand the futility of pursuing desires which are endless decide to transcend the mind so that all desires themselves drop.
Yes, personally am not yet mastered it but am on the path and for which a monastery is not a prerequisite as we humans have evolved to a state where we need not run from desires but face/transcend them HERE-NOW wherever we are.

Love & rgds