• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

religion unites...yeah right...

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
not according to this article...

Yes, I was making a general statement. Also, an inference from the article is that the Jewish guy was excluded from the memorial simply for being Jewish, in other words, for disagreeing with Christianity.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Jewish group fights for chaplain monument at Arlington – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
Arlington, Virginia (CNN) – Three German torpedoes ripped through the icy waters of the Atlantic off the coast of Greenland. On February 2, 1943, the USS Dorchester was transporting 902 U.S. servicemen to war. Only one torpedo hit, but it struck a deathblow - killing scores instantly and resetting the ship's course to the bottom of the ocean.

Amid the chaos, survivors later recalled, four U.S. Army chaplains fought to bring calm and comfort, praying for the dead and encouraging the living to fight for survival. They helped frightened servicemen find life jackets and head to rescue craft. Each of the four chaplains gave up his life jacket to save the life of another.

All four stayed on the ship's new course to the bottom of the ocean and gave their lives so others might live. The last thing survivors saw of the four chaplains, they were huddled together praying.

Lt. George Fox, a Methodist chaplain; Lt. John Washington, a Roman Catholic chaplain; and Lt. Clark Poling, a Dutch Reformed chaplain, are each memorialized on Chaplains Hill at Arlington National Cemetery on monuments honoring the service of Protestant and Catholic chaplains killed in the line of duty.

But amid the sea of white marble tombstones and granite monuments, one name is missing - Lt. Alexander D. Goode, the fourth chaplain from the USS Dorchester.

He was Jewish - a rabbi....

Not to still your thunder but this story fits perfectly with your OP......

Aldersgate United Methodist Church opens space to Muslims, sparks discussion | WJLA.com

A local pastor is sparking controversy. The pastor invited a community of Muslims to use his Fairfax church to pray. This sent some parishioners away, but gained admiration from others.

The Aldersgate United Methodist Church opened its doors to a community of Muslims who were renovating their mosque and were in need of a place to pray.

Fox News reported the story, quoting a Christian radio talk show host who criticized the move. Dr. Alex McFarland charged these churches “have crossed the line from respect and tolerance, to ... affirmation and endorsement," the report read.
"To let a building simultaneously be used for the activities of a mosque and also the activities of Jesus Christ, it's just incompatible. And I think it's one more example of political correctness and hyper-tolerance gone awry," McFarland is quoted.

All I have to say is WOW....!!....:facepalm:

waitasec

Veteran Member

Aldersgate United Methodist Church opens space to Muslims, sparks discussion | WJLA.com

A local pastor is sparking controversy. The pastor invited a community of Muslims to use his Fairfax church to pray. This sent some parishioners away, but gained admiration from others.

The Aldersgate United Methodist Church opened its doors to a community of Muslims who were renovating their mosque and were in need of a place to pray.

Fox News reported the story, quoting a Christian radio talk show host who criticized the move. Dr. Alex McFarland charged these churches “have crossed the line from respect and tolerance, to ... affirmation and endorsement," the report read.
"To let a building simultaneously be used for the activities of a mosque and also the activities of Jesus Christ, it's just incompatible. And I think it's one more example of political correctness and hyper-tolerance gone awry," McFarland is quoted.

why am i not surprised?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Maybe YOURS is!

But the central goal of MINE is PRECISELY THAT: UNITY!!

Indeed, it revolves entirely around unity and oneness.

Peace,

Bruce
By co-opting previous religions. Your approach is no less sectarian and divisive than the others. While it's true that if everyone was Baha'i we would disagree less, this is true of any religion.

RitalinO.D.

Just another example of how people corrupt anything they put their hands on. While I obviously do not believe in either religion, I think it was very admirable for the pastor to allow the Muslims to use his space. The people condemning it should be drawn and quartered.

MissAlice

Maybe YOURS is!

Peace,

Bruce

Well if it is, would you give recognition to a Jewish rabbi? The problem I see with these debates is "My religion is right by default and yours is wrong". That is what imo people mean when they say religion divides. You may be right about yours but many of different religious beliefs believe the same thing.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Just another example of how people corrupt anything they put their hands on. While I obviously do not believe in either religion, I think it was very admirable for the pastor to allow the Muslims to use his space. The people condemning it should be drawn and quartered.

i would attribute this to following a humanistic instinct...not because of a religious principle.

Maybe YOURS is!

Peace,

Bruce

And if someone doesn't want to be a part of your religion then what? Its all very making these sweeping pronouncements but the devils in the details and as it stands your belief systems approach is pretty unsofisticated.

BruceDLimber

didn't we have a conversation about covenant breakers?

Their existence in no way alters the goal of the religion, which remains as stated.

Nor do we "co-opt" (your term) other religions: our scriptures and their teachings stand on their own merit, just as do those of other religions.

Bruce

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

[W]ould you give recognition to a Jewish rabbi?

Of course!

Why not?

The problem I see with these debates is "My religion is right by default and yours is wrong."

Preclsely why this is NOT what we believe!

I quote the Baha'i scriptures:

"There can be no doubt whatever that the peoples of the world, of whatever race or religion, derive their inspiration from one heavenly Source, and are the subjects of one God. The difference between the ordinances under which they abide should be attributed to the varying requirements and exigencies of the age in which they were revealed. All of them, except a few which are the outcome of human perversity, were ordained of God, and are a reflection of His Will and Purpose. Arise and, armed with the power of faith, shatter to pieces the gods of your vain imaginings, the sowers of dissension amongst you. Cleave unto that which draweth you together and uniteth you."

—(The Proclamation of Baha'u'llah, p. 114;
also Gleanings, CXI, pp. 217-8)

Best! :)

Bruce

BruceDLimber

And if someone doesn't want to be a part of your religion, then what?

Then that's perfectly OK, and we wish him or her success and all good on that spiritual path!

This is PRECISELY why one of our central teachings is Individual Investigation of Truth!

What it means is that each person has both the right and the responsibility to investigate the various religions, decide where the truth lies, and follow that!

And NO ONE else has the right to interfere in this process, including spouse, parents, clergy, friends, or anyone else!

Simple as that.

And given that our scriptures explicitly recocgize and command respect for ALL the great religions, no probloem whatever!

Whatever path anyone decides to follow--including none whatever--is just fine with us, and we don't condemn anyone for making that choice.

Best! :)

Bruce

waitasec

Veteran Member

Their existence in no way alters the goal of the religion, which remains as stated.
using the word "their" indicates division...

Nor do we "co-opt" (your term) other religions: our scriptures and their teachings stand on their own merit, just as do those of other religions.

Bruce

you have me confused with someone else...
'co-opt' wasn't my term...

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I did some research on the situation presented in the OP - along with the inference that the rabbi was excluded from the memorial because he was Jewish.

First of all, as one who has visited Arlington many times, I can assure you that many various faiths, and atheist beliefs as well, are represented throughout that beautiful cemetery.

images

arlington-grave.jpg

17_islam_bahai.jpg

20_ucrs_atheist.jpg

Now - the reason that the Jewish chaplain isn't specifically honored on Chaplain's Hill in Arlington has NOTHING to do with prejudice. Here's the deal:

The three Christian chaplains' names are NOT on ONE specific memorial honoring them for their heroic deeds together. Their names are on SEPARATE monuments, sponsored and erected by their specific church affiliates.

There has never been a request put forth by any Jewish organization to erect a monument to Jewish chaplains on Chaplain's Hill at Arlington - till now. Now that it has been requested, this request is being rushed through Congress with absolutely no opposition, and is expected to be approved by Memorial Day.

Rabbis may join Chaplains Hill - Charles Hoskinson - POLITICO.com

The Four Chaplains, as they have come to be known has, have been honored repeatedly by many groups, including the United States government:

On May 28, 1948 the United States Postal Service issued a special stamp to commemorate the brotherhood, service, and sacrifice of the Four Chaplains.

four_chaplains_stamp.png

On July 14, 1960 by Act of Congress (Public Law 86-656, 86th Congress), the United States Congress authorized the "Four Chaplains Medal". The Star of David, Tablets of Moses, and Christian Cross are shown in relief on the back of the medal, along with the inscribed names of all four heroic Chaplains.

Chaplainmedal.gif

On January 18, 1961, Secretary of the Army Wilbur M. Brucker presented the award posthumously to the families of the Four Chaplains at Fort Myer, Virginia.

The Chapel of the Four Chaplains at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard
7_four_chaplains_pf-1.jpg

Last edited:

Greyn

South of Providence
Kathryne, you beat me to this and did it much more complete than I would have! :)

This is simply the Jewish community getting around to honoring their veterans. I wish them the best. All those that served and sacrificed should be recognized by those they inspire.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
You know, it's so amazing to me that people who are sitting at a computer, with the world at their fingertips, would rather waste time responding to an erroneous, and in my opinion, deliberately misleading OP and/or article, rather than take ten minutes to verify the information first.

Just goes to show how blinded people can be by ideologies and agendas.

waitasec

Veteran Member
You know, it's so amazing to me that people who are sitting at a computer, with the world at their fingertips, would rather waste time responding to an erroneous, and in my opinion, deliberately misleading OP and/or article, rather than take ten minutes to verify the information first.

Just goes to show how blinded people can be by ideologies and agendas.

proud of yourself aren't you :rolleyes:

Lt. George Fox, a Methodist chaplain; Lt. John Washington, a Roman Catholic chaplain; and Lt. Clark Poling, a Dutch Reformed chaplain, are each memorialized on Chaplains Hill at Arlington National Cemetery

check out this link...and especially the picture...
Arlington National Cemetery:: Visitor_Information

i see 3...

here read this...

"It's a matter of principle. It's a matter of keeping faith with those who kept faith with us," said Rabbi Harold Robinson, a retired admiral who served as a U.S. Navy chaplain for nearly two decades and who now heads the Jewish Chaplains Council.

"There are about 255 chaplains who died in active service; 242 of them are memorialized on Chaplains Hill. From my perspective that's wrong," he said.

Last edited: