• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion: [undefined]

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I've got boxophobia.

How can you say that? A Buddhist wouldn't because....

It's why I also baulk at other labels.

You say you're a vegetarian but you wear leather shoes...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What are some reasons that an RF member might choose to leave the religion field undefined in his or her profile?

I considered it, since I don't subscribe to a religion. In the end, whilst technically inaccurate, I thought listing atheist would be more informative.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What are some reasons that an RF member might choose to leave the religion field undefined in his or her profile?
One reason: they don't have a religion.

More often, I think: my impression is that a lot of members just can't figure out - or can't be bothered to figure out - how to update their profile.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

I think in some cases it's the rise of "spiritual but not religious" folks who aren't formally affiliated with any religion so they have a hard time giving a pithy label to their view.

Daemon Sophic

Frankly I had never noticed that box to fill in my personal information page before now. :oops:
Ah well. One’s words and implications (since actions are not perceivable on a forum page) are better at revealing a person’s motives and thoughts than any singular claim on a page. Many times people claim a benign religion only to show that they have never even attempted to follow its edicts. :shrug:

But all that rambling aside, as an agnostic I really don’t have any “religion”, although I suppose that I do have a loose, general philosophy on life.
Others may simply wish to let their words and implications demonstrate their religion (my best wishes for them). And others may simply not want to be “labeled” while in conversation with other forumites.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I put "none".
Because while I'm not really a theist, atheist implies "strong atheist" so often it's annoying. I'm certainly not that. Nor "anti-theist", although I have plenty of criticism for religion and religionists.
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Some people probably don't want to be confined by its tenants, as if you need or must act or do things in a certain way while engaging in discussion and debate for sake of your religious identifier.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think of myself mostly in terms of my behaviors, rarely in terms of my beliefs.

However, just yesterday I decided more or less on a dare to pick a belief label, give it a go, see if it feels fitting to me a month from now.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think people who come here and have no label on the religion profile are sometimes hoping to gain a debate advantage. Other times they don't want people to jump to conclusions about themselves. Some may wish discuss 'Religion' without reference to their own religion...sort of get away from it all I think.

I think most people don't really know what mine means. I don't think it comes up often in discussion, and I try to be very clear about it if/when it does.
At least one animist I've met would not wear any shoes -- not anywhere. I also met a Christian who wouldn't. Maybe it was because the shoes had labels. :D They wouldn't say why.

They lived their lives with no shoes or socks, even when they had shirts and ties on. Neither would tell anyone the reason, and they did not know one another as far as I could tell. Two completely separate people independently decided that they just would never, ever wear shoes despite everyone else wearing shoes.