• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion: The Security Blanket Theory

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
This could have been discussed before elsewhere, but I was thinking about it recently.

As we all understand people are social animals, regardless if they're introverted or extroverted, and the idea of being completely alone seems to be deathly frightening to some. So was religion created (among other reasons) out of this fear, that early humans were unable to cope with the idea of being truly alone in the universe? Look at how human most gods are, in fact can anyone tell me of any gods that aren't inherently human nature?

For theists, let's say we could prove that there was/were no god(s). Could you handle the thought of being alone. That there really isn't anything more to life than what you make of it in the here and now? Discuss

Last edited:

Evee

Wow, we seem to have gotten a little off-track.

LampLighter, here's my answer. Just shout if you'd rather go back to the (done-to-death) topic of G-d and Evil.

Yeah, I could deal. I prefer knowing that there's something more to life than random genetic mutations and complex chemcial reactions. But, if you could somehow prove to me that G-d did not exist, I would cope. Resistence is futile. I would adapt. I suspect that some people wouldn't. For some people the idea that we're all alone is no doubt terrifying to consider. But, for me, personally, I would manage. But it would be harder in a lot of ways. Easier in some, but harder in many.

This reminds me a bit of a discussion I got into once where a (non-relgious) friend of mine asked if I could choose whether or not G_d really existed, if I would choose a world with or without Him. It wouldn't control whether or not people believed in Him, just whether they were right. Interesting stuff to think about.

MSizer

MSizer
I think religion serves more than only a security blanket, but surely that is part of it. The ability to concieve our mortality is the price we pay for higher cognition. There have to be mechanisms in place to offset the stress that can cause. Enter religion among other things.

blackout

Violet.
My 'religion' is more of a soft, thick furry (purple) throw rug
than a security blanket. (as it does not seek to "secure" anything)

I adore laying alone, all cozy on my rug.

If someone suddenly proved to me there were no gOd-gOddess...
Me & my rug would suddenly cease to be.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Well, there is an apparent correlation to me finally giving up my security blanket (which was actually quite old; around puberty), and developing a mythology and religion of my own.

There is also an apparent correlation to me quitting my thumb-sucking (VERY recently, believe it or not:angel2:) and adapting a more grounded spiritual path.

So, I do believe there is truth to the idea of religion serving as a sort of security blanket FOR SOME.

idea

Question Everything
religion is not a security blanket / it is not about going into hiding. Religion has taken some people into some pretty extreme situations... Mother T. as an example. She was not hiding in a security blanket.

It is about becoming all that you can be, let you light shine! Be loving, selfless, humble, and all that. IMO.

idea

Question Everything
Well, there is an apparent correlation to me finally giving up my security blanket (which was actually quite old; around puberty), and developing a mythology and religion of my own.

You have to gain your own testimony (I do not hold the same beliefs as my parents) God has no grandchildren, only sons and daughters. You cannot inherit your beliefs, I agree.

However, gaining your own testimony, is different than developing your own religion...

Religion is not just a philosophy, it is about finding truth that applies to all - not making up what you would like to be true.

JMO.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
It is highly amusing to watch people in this thread and others speak for a God they do not understand. How do i know they don't understand? Ask specific questions and most theists who are silly enough to get into the discussion will say that God is beyond our understanding. Is that not strange and contradictory at all?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
You have to gain your own testimony (I do not hold the same beliefs as my parents) God has no grandchildren, only sons and daughters. You cannot inherit your beliefs, I agree.

However, gaining your own testimony, is different than developing your own religion...

Religion is not just a philosophy, it is about finding truth that applies to all - not making up what you would like to be true.

JMO.

I know that now. The "religion" I made up for myself back then is pretty much total nonsense: a bad combination/crossover of Sonic the Hedgehog, Ecco the Dolphin, The Land Before Time, and at one point, Dinotopia. Only a few elements of that created religion remain, the primary one being Grandmother Solis (the Sun), Sister Luna (the Moon), and Gaia, the Earth, made of Mother Earth and Father Sky. (One of the few elements of that "religion" that was not inspired by a video game or childhood movie.)

Dunemeister

This could have been discussed before elsewhere, but I was thinking about it recently.

As we all understand people are social animals, regardless if they're introverted or extroverted, and the idea of being completely alone seems to be deathly frightening to some. So was religion created (among other reasons) out of this fear, that early humans were unable to cope with the idea of being truly alone in the universe? Look at how human most gods are, in fact can anyone tell me of any gods that aren't inherently human nature?

For theists, let's say we could prove that there was/were no god(s). Could you handle the thought of being alone. That there really isn't anything more to life than what you make of it in the here and now? Discuss

I'd turn this rather childish proposal on its head:

As we all understand people value autonomy, perhaps to a greater or lesser degree, the idea of being completely subordinate to someone else on that someone else's terms seems to be deathly frightening to some, especially where that someone else happens to be all-knowing and all-powerful, and even if that being is loving. So was atheism created (among other reasons) out of this fear, that early humans were unable to cope with the idea of being truly subordinate? Look at how resistant most atheists are toward the very notion of God; in fact can anyone tell me of any atheists or agnostics that aren't really just finding excuses for their resentment?

For atheists and agnostics, let's say we could prove that there was a creator that created all things and continually upholds all things in existence by sheer force of will, and that being has the right to determine what constitutes right and wrong action, worthy and unworthy pursuits for us humans, and that if we don't do what is right and worthy, there will be eternal consequences. Could you handle the thought of being subordinate. That it really isn't up to you to decide what is right or wrong or what is a worthy pursuit or goal in life. Discuss.

See? Childish.

Dunemeister

It is highly amusing to watch people in this thread and others speak for a God they do not understand. How do i know they don't understand? Ask specific questions and most theists who are silly enough to get into the discussion will say that God is beyond our understanding. Is that not strange and contradictory at all?

No...

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I'd turn this rather childish proposal on its head:

As we all understand people value autonomy, perhaps to a greater or lesser degree, the idea of being completely subordinate to someone else on that someone else's terms seems to be deathly frightening to some, especially where that someone else happens to be all-knowing and all-powerful, and even if that being is loving. So was atheism created (among other reasons) out of this fear, that early humans were unable to cope with the idea of being truly subordinate? Look at how resistant most atheists are toward the very notion of God; in fact can anyone tell me of any atheists or agnostics that aren't really just finding excuses for their resentment?

For atheists and agnostics, let's say we could prove that there was a creator that created all things and continually upholds all things in existence by sheer force of will, and that being has the right to determine what constitutes right and wrong action, worthy and unworthy pursuits for us humans, and that if we don't do what is right and worthy, there will be eternal consequences. Could you handle the thought of being subordinate. That it really isn't up to you to decide what is right or wrong or what is a worthy pursuit or goal in life. Discuss.

See? Childish.
How about you take your opposite topic to its own thread?

Though I would highly recommend that if you do make it its own thread, that you link that thread in this one so that those of us interested in it can show up and and join in YOUR childishness.

Just a thought

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

I have seen on other forums where this exact question was asked and most of the theists flat out said that there is NOTHING that will cause them to lose their faith.
Not even undeniable proof that they are completely wrong.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
As we all understand people are social animals, regardless if they're introverted or extroverted, and the idea of being completely alone seems to be deathly frightening to some. So was religion created (among other reasons) out of this fear, that early humans were unable to cope with the idea of being truly alone in the universe?
Current research strongly indicates that religion wasn't "created" at all. Rather, it developed naturally out of certain biological imperatives, combined with the advent of mystical experiences.

So, no.

Look at how human most gods are,
Good point. Myself, I think this is an unfortunate consequence of the generally noble impulse to understand God. The sages oversimplify and resort to poetry to make their ideas communicable, and as the generations pass, the symbolism comes to be taken literally.

in fact can anyone tell me of any gods that aren't inherently human nature?
Pantheism, panentheism, and my own weird conglomeration of the two. Deism, depending on the individual.

For theists, let's say we could prove that there was/were no god(s).
Taking a moment to note that I'm not a theist, properly speaking. But since you seem to be using the generalized meaning, I'll answer anyway. :)

Could you handle the thought of being alone.
I wouldn't be alone. I'd still have my family and friends, who are much, MUCH more vital to my mental health than God.

That there really isn't anything more to life than what you make of it in the here and now?
This would pose no problem for me.

Dunemeister

I have seen on other forums where this exact question was asked and most of the theists flat out said that there is NOTHING that will cause them to lose their faith.
Not even undeniable proof that they are completely wrong.

I think this protest from the theists is an expression of their skepticism that anything like undeniable proof that they are completely wrong exists. That skepticism is entirely warranted.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
* * * Mod Post * * *
Several posts have been deleted as off-topic, a discussion was started about a signature instead of the topic of debate at hand.

Thank you

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I don't think a non-theist will ever understand how lack of evidence against a supreme being is evidence for a supreme being. Its fristrating when trying to debate because its always a draw card for the theist when they get sick of having a real debate.

Too often arguements boil down to "you can't prove there is not God so there has to be one." This is a generalization but i need both hands and feet to count the amount of times i've seen it on these forums.