1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Religion, Racial Harmony and Racism

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by adrian009, Jun 12, 2019.

1. joe1776

joe1776 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,035
    Religion:
    None
    In New York City circa 1900, the Jewish mobs, the Irish mobs and the Italian mobs competed for control of the rackets. The Italians won. It wasn't that they were tougher. They won because they organized in a hierarchy modeled after the Mafia in Sicily.

If you agreed, you would shock and disappoint the hell out of me.:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Vee

Vee Active Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,397
    Religion:
    Jehovah's Witness
    Very good questions.
    When we judge people we don't know based on things like the place where they were born, the color of their skin, the language they speak or their gender, we are very simply being short-minded and unfair.
    We are in 2019 and even though we came a long way in terms of knowledge, many people still refuse to see the obvious: we are all human, and we're not that different from each other. We all have the same needs, the same desires and often the same goals. But many still prefer the "us versus them" mentality, maybe because it's much easier to blame others for whatever is wrong than to look in a mirror and take responsibility.
    Jehovah's Witnesses believe in the Bible, and the Bible teaches that God is not partial (Acts 10:34,35). So, if we follow the principle of impartiality, we treat everyone fairly, according to the kind of person they are.
    Is it always easy? Of course not, but that's because we're surrounded by propaganda and lies, spread by people with personal agendas. Blaming particular groups of people for whatever issues are going on in the world is a brilliant strategy. While people are busy believing all the nonsense being told and hating someone they've never met and know nothing about, the ones who are truly causing those problems are free to continue destroying economies, the earth and millions of lives.

• Like Like x 1
  3. adrian009

adrian009 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,539
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Thank you for your thoughtful post.

There are a number of trends in Western communities and throughout the world that are clear. One is the growing disparity between the wealthy and the poor worldwide. There is a significant minority who are either unemployed, underemployed or underpaid. Amongst this group are those who externalise or blame their circumstances on others. A common narrative is that migrants are taking their jobs or foreign powers are responsible for their plight and struggle in life.

Christianity has been struggling over the twentieth century for a narrative that is harmony with the modern world. Science has challenged long held cherished beliefs. Human rights issues have shaken Christianity to the core. Regardless, some of the Christian community has adapted to the twenty first century whlle others have languished. OTOH Islam has been a religion of more underdeveloped countries. Progress has often lagged behind the West and some parts of Islam make the Christian fundamentalists progressive by contrast. Muslims and some of the racial groups often associated with Muslims such as Arabs and Persians have become vilified. Some politicians and religious leaders have exploited the resentment and fears of their followers.

I think we are mostly in agreement.

• Like Like x 1
  4. adrian009

Ratings:
    +6,539
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I'm not entirely certain what your point is and suspect there are cultural barriers.

I feel moved to share the story of the Golden Buddha.

The Story of the Golden Buddha

5. adrian009

Ratings:
    +6,539
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Thanks for your post. We were both born in the early 60s so have had similar experiences albeit in different countries. The apathy of our generation perplexes me at times. What you say makes perfect sense and I enjoyed reading your post.

• Like Like x 1
  6. adrian009

Ratings:
    +6,539
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Non-Hindus should take care not to misrepresent Hinduism as Hindus should take care not to misrepresent non-Hindus.

7. TagliatelliMonster

TagliatelliMonster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,148
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I don't think I can really agree that racism is on the rise again.
    At the very least, it is not the same kind of racism of the past. I don't think that you could find any significant support any more in any western nation for things like apartheid for example...

I think a lot of times, nationalism is being mistaken for racism.

There's a political party in my country called Vlaams Belang. They are widely known for being racist. And some of them surely are very racist. But most of them, are actually very nationalistic. Specific remarks they then make about "immigrants", and the "nicknames" they use to refer to various nationalities, are easily mistaken for racism. Those nicknames and denegrating remarks surely will sometimes refer to ethnic characteristics. But the actual hate is not really concerning ethnicity. It concerns culture, economics, nationality,...

They are also anti-european. They hate it that Polish construction workers come here and actually work harder then Belgian construction workers. The Polish ones come from a life of relative poverty and hard work. They aren't spoiled middle class people like most Belgians. Their work ethics are just different and more appealing to customers. And they are cheaper as well. So they'll make disgusting remarks about Polish people as well - which are as caucasian as they are themselves.

So I don't think this new wave of "divisive" ideology can be filed under racism. It might be some part of it, but not the kind of racism we've seen before. It's not pure racism. There's a lot more involved, coming from nationalism primarily, it seems to me.

At least, that's how it feels like in Belgium.
    Based on the (admitedly 'little') that I know of politics in other countries, I think I can extrapolate that to the rest of the world as well. It smells like the same kind of trend.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. joe1776

joe1776 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,035
    Religion:
    None

9. adrian009

Ratings:
    +6,539
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    What you describe in your country is certainly a trend of many countries in the West. I agree that its not pure racism but instead an us and them ideology where race is one aspect along with other factors such as nationalism, immigration, religion and culture. While it is not the same forms of racism we witnessed earlier in the twentieth century, it appears no less virulent as a force for dividing and polarising people.

10. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,507
    Religion:
    None
    Sorry, but the rest of us do not look to a cult of
    ignorance for intelligent guidance.