• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion is sacred, politics is filthy...keep them separate!

Sahar

Egypt is no different than many Muslim countries in which there is an intense debate ongoing between Islamists and secularists. One of the recent interesting claims repeated by secular activists and political parties is religion/God has no business in politics because what is sacred (i.e religion) shouldn't decline to the low level of politics and its filth!! I then say to myself if politics of secularists is that filthy then this is a strong reason for our need for the Islamic values to clean its dirtiness!

If our worldly affairs are filthy, does this mean we should keep the sacred religion away from our affairs or does it mean we do need religion to purify our affairs?
The Muslim in whatever matter follow the great principles of Islam; principles of justice, standing for the oppressed and weak people, honesty, equality, etc. The idea of working for certain interests regardless of the means, regardless of the costs should have no place in the Muslim dictionary. "The end justifies the means" has no place in Islam. The end and the means should be clean and just.
There is nothing called defeating a political enemy by defaming it, subduing an enemy by throwing nuclear bombs on helpless people destroying and polluting entire cities, there is nothing called gaining economic interests by transgressing against other people's rights, etc.

The Muslim in the political affairs moves according to the general and comprehensive Islamic values of justice, Shura (consultation) and freedom. And inside the broad Islamic frame, we can use our own experiences and make our ijtihad to achieve the best interests, again that don't violate the basic Islamic purifying principles.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Just asking....

Is it not the current effort of Islam to be the faith of all men?

Convert all.....kill anyone who won't agree.
(news reports tend to focus on the extreme.)

And is it not true?
In Muslim countries the Scripture and the government are as one.
No separation.

Sahar

Hi Thief,
The Qur'an emphasizes that embracing Islam through compulsion is not accepted by God. Compelling anyone to embrace Islam is totally forbidden.

Some Qur'anic verses on this issues:
"There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in ‹āghūt and believes in Allāh has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And Allāh is Hearing and Knowing."
Al-Baqarah: 256

"And say, "The truth is from your Lord, so whoever wills – let him believe; and whoever wills – let him disbelieve."
Al-Kahf:29

"And had your Lord willed, those on earth would have believed – all of them entirely. Then, [O Muúammad], would you compel the people in order that they become believers?"
Yunus: 99

I hope this point is clear.

As for Muslim countries, actually most of the regimes that rule Muslims are secular, repress the Islamic movements and oppose the Islamic laws in many cases. So no, the current governments and the scripture are not as one. In addition, even if the government attempted to apply the Islamic law, it wouldn't mean they are as one but it would mean that the government might go right or wrong in its attempt to follow the Islamic principles and laws (human error is always there). No matter what, the practical attempt to apply the Islamic laws is and should always be distinct from the Islamic laws themselves.

In Islam, noone has the privilege to rule in the name of God or as God's representative(s). Theocratic rule has no place in Islam.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Salaams Sahar. I just read this article that had to do with this very subject.

Islamic group seeks place in a democratic Egypt - Yahoo! News

I agree with you. Now I have no idea what the Muslim Brotherhood really is or what they really stand for, but if some of what was said is true it seems okay to me. The part where it says they would not attempt to gain a majority seemed promising. There is always the chance that someone will try to take advantage of the situation and under the guise of Islam, create a dictatorship not unlike what you all just fought your way out of.

I am of the opinion that an Islamic rule is not only possible but necessary when done correctly and with an open mind, not a closed one where only one opinion is correct. Like you said if the secular politics is so dirty, why would anyone want it to rule over them? Why do I want a group of people to rule over me who have no scruples? This is even more so for a Muslim dominated country. Shouldn't we become the shining example of how politics don't have to be dirty and foul?

I think as long as whomever takes the reigns in Egypt is a just Muslim they can rule with the consent of the people. He need not turn on them or oppress them in any way. As long as he can do that while respecting the basic tenets of justice in Islam, we can finally point to a place that actually is ran according to the shariah as it should be, not as a tyrant would have it.

In order for Islam to be properly implemented, it takes very strong and proper people who will not be corrupted and will allow the people their rights and responsibilities. The Muslim rulers of the past were also not like dictators even though their decree was obeyed. It was when they became corrupt, power hungry, intolerant, and violent that Islam started to falter. There is a difference between fanatical and religious that most people do not understand.