• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Religion is One" in Bahai Faith

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Maybe it is a sign that I (luckily) have too much free-time, but this Bahai thing really bugs me. I've been musing on what it means that "Religion is One". I have a certain idea of what I think it could mean, but already, the Bahai interfaith practice didn't turn out as what I expected it to be. So I am asking again.

I've read the Koran and Muslims believe that Jews and Christians originally were "Muslims" even before the advent of Muhammad. Then, with time, through "man-made" interference, those religions were "corrupted", developing into what they are now. In the Koran, both Moses and Jesus were sent to "restore" those religions to what we now know as Islam.

As the Bahai faith emerged from a Muslim background, I think the Bahai teaching might use the same method, just applying it to all world religions. I might be entirely wrong but some Bahais seem to spend time a lot explaining what they don't believe but not explaining what they actually do believe.

I invite all forum members who are knowledgeable in the Bahai faith to "enlighten" me in that matter. Thanks.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Maybe it is a sign that I (luckily) have too much free-time, but this Bahai thing really bugs me. I've been musing on what it means that "Religion is One". I have a certain idea of what I think it could mean, but already, the Bahai interfaith practice didn't turn out as what I expected it to be. So I am asking again.

I've read the Koran and Muslims believe that Jews and Christians originally were "Muslims" even before the advent of Muhammad. Then, with time, through "man-made" interference, those religions were "corrupted", developing into what they are now. In the Koran, both Moses and Jesus were sent to "restore" those religions to what we now know as Islam.

As the Bahai faith emerged from a Muslim background, I think the Bahai teaching might use the same method, just applying it to all world religions. I might be entirely wrong but some Bahais seem to spend time a lot explaining what they don't believe but not explaining what they actually do believe.

I invite all forum members who are knowledgeable in the Baha'i faith to "enlighten" me in that matter. Thanks.

There really is not enlightenment here, and that is a matter of inner spiritual reflection of the will of the individual.

There is another thread that goes into this issue to certain extent here: Where does "All religions are one" come from?

. . . but nonetheless this is simplistic phrase commonly used in the Baha'i Faith, and in fact in many other contexts in different beliefs systems in various contexts. Even used by Christians to reflect a belief in universal salvation like the philosopher Blake referred to in the other thread. Even among the diverse beliefs of Hindu cultures and Buddhism advocated the potential of universal salvation through reincarnation.

The Baha'i Faith believes in the concept that there is universal Progressive Revelation from God throughout the history of humanity representing the evolving spiritual nature and attributes of the souls, humanity, life and the universal whole. The religions of the world are the outward expression of this Progressive Revelation throughout history. The religions of the world are of course different, but the Baha'i Faith teaches that this represents the differences in culture over time, the human view of God and and the degree of Revelation in the ancient world in the progressive spiritual evolution of humanity. The Baha'i Faith believes this progressive universal Creation and Revelation applies to our universe and all possible universes, and all the spiritual worlds beyond ours.

Of course, by far most believers of the individual believers of the individual religions will not accept this universal relationship, which as a matter of fact is their decision. I personally believe if God exists, this universal relationship is the only viable reality of a God who is a universal Creator and an and has an intimate relationship with the spiritual reality of our existence as the Creator. The reality of diverse conflicting, and contradictory religions and religious beliefs is a paradox and contradictory to the existence of an omnipotent God, or other 'Source' not definable from the human perspective. The only viable alternative is that God(s), nor spiritual worlds do not exist and what we see in the religions and belief systems of the world are simply a product of the natural evolution of life and humanity, which is possible.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I've been musing on what it means that "Religion is One".
What it means to me personally, speaking only for myself, is that people are quoting "religion is one" out of context, in ways that falsify its meaning.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
What is the fate of "non-progressive religions" according to the Bahai faith?

Besides the universal relationship with God, isn't the belief in Baha'ullah the constituent characteristic of the Bahai faith?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
What is the fate of "non-progressive religions" according to the Bahai faith?

This is my view in reflection of the Baha'i writings and I may look into the writings more to answer fully:

To some degree or another they will die off in the future as the contradiction and paradox of their claims subside to accept the universal relationship to the reality of a diverse dynamic changing world where they were clinging to past paradigms. The diversity of the cultures of humanity and individuals will remain as a part of the dynamic evolution of humanity.

Besides the universal relationship with God, isn't the belief in Baha'ullah the constituent characteristic of the Baha'i faith?

Yes, of course, as his spiritual teaching centering on this evolving universal relationship of humanity and our physical existence. The teachings of Baha'u'llah and the Baha'i Faith is only one step in the eternal cycle of the spiritual evolution of humanity, and not in any way an absolute unchanging Truth as many believe concerning their own religion or belief system. .

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I invite all forum members who are knowledgeable in the Bahai faith to "enlighten" me in that matter. Thanks.

You might find this interesting.

The Seven Valleys - Wikipedia

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

"I've read the Koran and Muslims believe that Jews and Christians originally were "Muslims" even before the advent of Muhammad."Unquote

Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, are attached to some personal names (like Juda, Christ, Buddha, ), not the generic name. Submission to One-True-God is essence of Religion, Islam depicts this attribute of the believers. Abraham, Moses, Jesus are/were in this sense Muslims:

[[2:112]وَ قَالُوۡا لَنۡ یَّدۡخُلَ الۡجَنَّۃَ اِلَّا مَنۡ کَانَ ہُوۡدًا اَوۡ نَصٰرٰی ؕ تِلۡکَ اَمَانِیُّہُمۡ ؕ قُلۡ ہَاتُوۡا بُرۡہَانَکُمۡ اِنۡ کُنۡتُمۡ صٰدِقِیۡنَ ﴿۱۱۲﴾
And they say, ‘None shall ever enter Heaven unless he be a Jew or a Christian.’ These are their vain desires. Say, ‘Produce your proof, if you are truthful.’
[[2:113]بَلٰی ٭ مَنۡ اَسۡلَمَ وَجۡہَہٗ لِلّٰہِ وَ ہُوَ مُحۡسِنٌ فَلَہٗۤ اَجۡرُہٗ عِنۡدَ رَبِّہٖ ۪ وَ لَا خَوۡفٌ عَلَیۡہِمۡ وَ لَا ہُمۡ یَحۡزَنُوۡنَ ﴿۱۱۳﴾٪

Nay, whoever submits himself completely to Allah, and is the doer of good, shall have his reward with his Lord. No fear shall come upon such, neither shall they grieve.
https://www.alislam.org/quran/2:112
[[
2:135]تِلۡکَ اُمَّۃٌ قَدۡ خَلَتۡ ۚ لَہَا مَا کَسَبَتۡ وَ لَکُمۡ مَّا کَسَبۡتُمۡ ۚ وَ لَا تُسۡـَٔلُوۡنَ عَمَّا کَانُوۡا یَعۡمَلُوۡنَ ﴿۱۳۵﴾
Those are a people that have passed away; for them is what they earned, and for you shall be what you earn; and you shall not be questioned as to what they did.
[[2:136]وَ قَالُوۡا کُوۡنُوۡا ہُوۡدًا اَوۡ نَصٰرٰی تَہۡتَدُوۡا ؕ قُلۡ بَلۡ مِلَّۃَ اِبۡرٰہٖمَ حَنِیۡفًا ؕ وَ مَا کَانَ مِنَ الۡمُشۡرِکِیۡنَ ﴿۱۳۶﴾

And they say, ‘Be ye Jews or Christians that you may be rightly guided.’ Say: ‘Nay, follow ye the religion of Abraham who was ever inclined to God; he was not of those who set up gods with God.’
[2:137]قُوۡلُوۡۤا اٰمَنَّا بِاللّٰہِ وَ مَاۤ اُنۡزِلَ اِلَیۡنَا وَ مَاۤ اُنۡزِلَ اِلٰۤی اِبۡرٰہٖمَ وَ اِسۡمٰعِیۡلَ وَ اِسۡحٰقَ وَ یَعۡقُوۡبَ وَ الۡاَسۡبَاطِ وَ مَاۤ اُوۡتِیَ مُوۡسٰی وَ عِیۡسٰی وَ مَاۤ اُوۡتِیَ النَّبِیُّوۡنَ مِنۡ رَّبِّہِمۡ ۚ لَا نُفَرِّقُ بَیۡنَ اَحَدٍ مِّنۡہُمۡ ۫ۖ وَ نَحۡنُ لَہٗ مُسۡلِمُوۡنَ ﴿۱۳۷﴾
Say ye: ‘We believe in Allah and what has been revealed to us, and what was revealed to Abraham and Ishmael, and Isaac, and Jacob and his children, and what was given to Moses and Jesus, and what was given to all other Prophets from their Lord. We make no difference between any of them; and to Him we submit ourselves.’
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 2: Al-Baqarah
[2:141]اَمۡ تَقُوۡلُوۡنَ اِنَّ اِبۡرٰہٖمَ وَ اِسۡمٰعِیۡلَ وَ اِسۡحٰقَ وَ یَعۡقُوۡبَ وَ الۡاَسۡبَاطَ کَانُوۡا ہُوۡدًا اَوۡ نَصٰرٰی ؕ قُلۡ ءَاَنۡتُمۡ اَعۡلَمُ اَمِ اللّٰہُ ؕ وَ مَنۡ اَظۡلَمُ مِمَّنۡ کَتَمَ شَہَادَۃً عِنۡدَہٗ مِنَ اللّٰہِ ؕ وَ مَا اللّٰہُ بِغَافِلٍ عَمَّا تَعۡمَلُوۡنَ ﴿۱۴۱﴾
Do you say that Abraham, and Ishmael, and Isaac, and Jacob, and his children were Jews or Christians? Say, ‘Do you know better or Allah?’ And who is more unjust than he who conceals the testimony that he has from Allah? And Allah is not unaware of what you do.
[[2:142]تِلۡکَ اُمَّۃٌ قَدۡ خَلَتۡ ۚ لَہَا مَا کَسَبَتۡ وَ لَکُمۡ مَّا کَسَبۡتُمۡ ۚ وَ لَا تُسۡـَٔلُوۡنَ عَمَّا کَانُوۡا یَعۡمَلُوۡنَ ﴿۱۴۲﴾٪
Those are a people that have passed away; for them is what they earned, and for you shall be what you earn; and you shall not be questioned as to what they did.
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 2: Al-Baqarah

The issue has been discussed in different styles so that no doubt is left. One should attribute one's religion to the One-True-God.
Right, please?

Regards