• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion is for Enlightened Old Folks... Right?

Grapefruit

It might be observed that some cultures hold a preconceived notion that young people are just not interested on the topic of religion. They're too busy doing this, that, or the other thing to be interested in answering the big, tough, philosophical questions of life or developing a life path to address those. Certainly, there is some research to back up the lack of participation in religions by various studies. For example, if you look at these data gathered by PEW Research, folks in the 18-29 demographic report that religion is "very important" in their life only 40% of the time, compared to 51% for the 30-49 demographic and up to 65% for the 65+ crowd. Other commonly-used activities to assess religious engagements are also lowest amongst this demographic.

What do you think is behind these trends? Is religion, deep thinking, and enlightenment really just for old folks? At what age did you become seriously interested in religion? Or maybe there was an age where you became disinterested in it?
Heck, I am 23 and have been interested in religion since I was 12! :)

It might be observed that some cultures hold a preconceived notion that young people are just not interested on the topic of religion. They're too busy doing this, that, or the other thing to be interested in answering the big, tough, philosophical questions of life or developing a life path to address those. Certainly, there is some research to back up the lack of participation in religions by various studies. For example, if you look at these data gathered by PEW Research, folks in the 18-29 demographic report that religion is "very important" in their life only 40% of the time, compared to 51% for the 30-49 demographic and up to 65% for the 65+ crowd. Other commonly-used activities to assess religious engagements are also lowest amongst this demographic.

What do you think is behind these trends? Is religion, deep thinking, and enlightenment really just for old folks? At what age did you become seriously interested in religion? Or maybe there was an age where you became disinterested in it?
It makes sense that belief increases as death, and awareness of impending death, looms closer.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
As all the 'tough' questions remain intact, as they have throughout history, and neither philosophy nor religion have effected the necessary solution to the problems, it is no wonder that so many are honestly disinterested. Why waste time on a body of ideas that have failed in there primary purpose and function? As the DoomsDay Clock is moved ever closer to midnight, if religion is without the authority to redirect the 'human experiment' off the slippery slope towards it's own self made hell, God must have other plans! The Final Freedoms

That's one opinion, but with conclusions that are to my mind miss the mark entirely. Lets take the religion I am most familiar with, Christianity. (most are the same when core issues are assessed). The truth is the religion promotes good, its all good! However as Gandhi said of Christianity, its not the religion I have a problem with its the Christians that fail. Again this could be said of all major religions. I as a christian don't do enough, even as a non profit owner that assists the disadvantaged. If all Christians followed, and I mean doubled downed, the teachings of Jesus and those of us who follow Jesus including the church would improve this earth and the life's of its people beyond what can be imagined. And that's just Christianity, throw in the non Christian religions , I am speaking of the non violent parts, and truly this earth would be a paradise. So we are slackers my brothers and sisters! lol big time!!

Still compared to atheists as a group we do more good in the world than they do via humanitarian aid disaster relief and other organized efforts to help our fellow man. But the need is out there and really its up to us including the atheists to save ourselves no government need apply. I am going to say AMEN....because I want to.....and that (the above) is truth as well!

soma

John Kuykendall
I think spirituality is for all ages since we all are in spirited with music, nature and just love. The mind is tender and is easily harassed in the noisy confusion of life so we need to discipline our minds to keep peace with our soul. In this way we can continue to wonder and see beauty in the world even with its fraud, strife and broken dreams. The person who does not recognize his soul, who does not commune spiritually is but a pair of glasses without an eye, a person with an intellect who is not aware of spirituality knows all the prices, but not the value of life.