• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion Impact Your Life

Mukesh Sharma

Foundation of Hinduism

Helps you resist junk food
Puts a smile on your face
Raises self-esteem (if you live in the right place)
Soothes anxiety
Protects against depressive symptoms
Motivates doctor visits

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Soothes anxiety
Motivates doctor visits

Religion and Prozac appear to have quite a bit in common.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Religion left me depressed, suicidal, miserably, and overflowing with anger. The religious have given me much grief. The overall impact on my life doesn't make for a flattering tale.
Religion and Prozac appear to have quite a bit in common.
That must explain why Prozac makes me intensely nauseous and unable to keep breakfast down.

Liu

Soothes anxiety
Motivates doctor visits

Pretty much all apply to my religion and its effect on me :D

Well, the first only sometimes, but if not then typically because of reasons (a la "I need more calories and when I eat only healthy food I have trouble eating enough, so let's add some more sweets/carbs").

Jumi

Sounds like you've found a positive religion for yourself. I don't understand the doctor visits thing though.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Soothes anxiety
Motivates doctor visits

Hm. Religion helped me know what spirituality is. It gave me an umph that I wouldn't have know in this life time what it meant to be spiritual. Religion gave me a community in which to bounce my concerns. Religion provided me with sense of self.

As for the type of religion, some have their pros and cons. All in all though, its pros gave me a foundation to where I can determine what spirituality is and what it is not.

I follow a "solo" religion now. I do things for my wellbeing with sometimes peers but not always. I would like to go to meetups where people share the same interest.

As for the types of religion, I've only been a part of one religion no more than a year that was detrimental to my health. I left immediately one I understood the method in which that religion brought in and literally and bluntly bring converts into their lineage sect.

Outside of that, don't know what else.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Religion left me depressed, suicidal, miserably, and overflowing with anger. The religious have given me much grief. The overall impact on my life doesn't make for a flattering tale.

That must explain why Prozac makes me intensely nauseous and unable to keep breakfast down.

My experience with religion in India makes me very happy. I would like to try out Prozac; much cheaper than a ticket to India;)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My experience with religion in India makes me very happy. I would like to try out Prozac; much cheaper than a ticket to India;)
I suspect the Hindu religion would probably give me a better experience than Christianity, especially since transgender people are acknowledged in Hindu, have some divine protection, and have some gender bending gods in its own pantheon.
As for Prozac, it's (obviously) not for me, but it can help some. For everyone it can't replace a good experience.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well, my current views are a positive for me in many ways.
- Awe of Nature and the Cosmos. A want to preserve the natural world and a non-anthropocentric view of the world.
- A more democratic vision of reality. As the Gods work together and debate on actions to take, so should we have our voices heard and considered. (Yes, the classical view of the Olympians is as a monarchy but Zeus is not a dictator or absolute monarch. He is more a wise elder and respected leader in anthropomorphic terms.)
- It is life and world affirming. The world and Cosmos is as it should be and perfect as is, even when it's hard. Life is a gift and we should make the most of it. We are all viewed as sovereign beings (yet subject to Natural Law, including Fate, which the Gods are also subject to).
- Pushes me to care about myself and strive to do better. Life is viewed as a journey to experience and cultivate Virtue. When you fail or mess up, you just make amends if needed and try again. There's no guilt tripping or shaming.
- It celebrates physical existence and the body. Of course, we're all familar with the beautiful nude statues of the Theoi and Heroes the Greeks and Romans made. They celebrated the idealized human body. There is nothing dirty or shameful about it. Along with that, sex is viewed as a part of life with no negative connotations. There's multiple love and lust deities. LGBT people are very represented in the myths and there was nothing negative about it. So love of the body and acceptance of your natural sexuality and identity as a normal variation of the diversity of Nature are prominent.
- Learning is prized. I'm sure we're all familiar with Athena and Athens.
- Tolerance and plurality are ideals. We should be able to exist harmoniously in society despite whatever differences or disagreements we have.

Those are the big ones, to me.