• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

questfortruth

Do you agree? It seems, that atheism does not benefit the ability to be reasonable:
What Atheist Steven Hawking Has Discovered at All, if Black Holes Do Not Evaporate?, viXra.org e-Print archive, viXra:2012.0054

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Matthew 11:28-29

I get more comfort being true to what I actually believe than pretending I'm something I'm not.
Atheism doesn't benefit anything. In my case, it's simply just waiting to believe in a god until I have enough evidence. I haven't seen any evidence convincing enough, so until I do, I'm still an atheist.

If to choose on the basis of the following observation, then it is evidence for Theism, rather than Atheism.
Fact: the existence of Jews, Holy Land, and Jerusalem.

Evidence is not rigorous proof, but it increases the chances for Christianity to be correct.
The existence of Biblical Jews does not speak for Atheism.

I do not see the evidence as compelling. Just like any other theistic belief.
But there is evidence. Evidence for theism is there. It is Jerusalem and his Jews. That is why Adolf Hitler was "cleansing" this living evidence from the face of the Earth.

Lots of different religious groups were targeted. That doesn't mean they were correct. There are pagan groups older than Judaism who were almost wiped out by Abrahamics. But they endured.
Please understand: evidence is not proof. The evidence speaks for. Jews speak for God.

Why does a people group existing point to a god also existing?

It is logic: no theists means, no God.
existence of theists means, that God is at least probable. The existence of theists does not speak for atheism.
Hence why I said the evidence is not compelling to me.

But it is evidence. Atheists say, that there is no single evidence for God, they are wrong.

A mere shared belief is not evidence unless all conflicting beliefs on the subject can be satisfactorily reconciled. What was the basis for those earliest beliefs. Why have these types of beliefs changes over the millennia?

These questions must be answered first before any claim of evidence.
Do not be another Einstein. Be as simple as a fisherman, e.g. apostle Peter. You have Christianity vs. Atheism. Let us consider only two subjects. Not pantheism+Christ+Atheism, but only Christianity vs Atheism.
A piece of evidence is a fact, which speaks for. The existence of Jews speaks rather for Christianity than Atheism.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
An article from a website set up by "scientists" whose articles are rejected from Cornell University's arVix.org website. Seems legit.

Also, why do you bother to concern yourself about atheism's ability to be reasonable? Why not just stick to your own reason and views and stop trying to convince others that your views and reasoning are better or more correct?

questfortruth

An article from a website set up by "scientists" whose articles are rejected from Cornell University's arVix.org website. Seems legit.

Also, why do you bother to concern yourself about atheism's ability to be reasonable? Why not just stick to your own reason and views and stop trying to convince others that your views and reasoning are better or more correct?
I am sorry. I was trying to publish the stuff in the "Science" section (without the religious part), but the threads have received zero replies there. Thus, I am writing now in the Religion+Science section to increase the number of replies and likes. Therefore, I am adding Religion to my Science results.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Of course atheism is reasonable, and perfectly comfortable with their minds.
Atheists have no god sitting on their shoulder telling them what is right and what is wrong.

Religion and Mental Health: the connection between faith and delusion

Hawking predicted that black holes emit radiation. A prediction that has since been shown to be accurate.

At the other end if the scale he made several predictions regarding the behaviour of quantum mechanics, each has proven to be accurate.

He wrote and co-authored several influential books.

questfortruth

He wrote and co-authored several influential books.
Science is not a heretic religious cult, and Hawking is not God. Thus, he is not immune to my criticism, the criticism is in the file above.

QUOTE from viXra file:

Indeed, you can find a critical issue against Hawking's paper by looking at the ``Trans-Planckian problem'': since the laws of physics at short distances are unknown, some find Hawking's original calculation unconvincing \cite{Helfer2003,Belinski2006,Brout1995}.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Science is not a heretic religious cult, and Hawking is not God.

Who, said it/he we're gods. Oh you indicate ir so you can argue. So argue that point with yourself

Thus, he is not immune to my criticism,.

Nor are you

some find Hawking's original calculation unconvincing \cite{Helfer2003,Belinski2006,Brout1995}.

I love it when people make derogatory claims using 20 year old science.

Yes some people do find some if what he said unconvincing and far more follow the science, do the research and learn. I wonder if those names would find his predictions at fault now they have been shown to be accurate?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Do you agree? It seems, that atheism does not benefit the ability to be reasonable:
What Atheist Steven Hawking Has Discovered at All, if Black Holes Do Not Evaporate?, viXra.org e-Print archive, viXra:2012.0054

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

I would disagree. Religion gives comfort and helps people to be emotionally at ease, especially relative to dire situations. On the other hand, organised religion doesn't help the mind to work better, but in fact makes it work worse, when dealing with how to solve problems and process information, because often times believers have to use mental gymnastic to maintain belief in spite of reality. If you are using flawed thinking to reject the facts of reality, then your mind isn't working better.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
You do realize that the OP is the author of the referenced article.

Admittedly, I didn't when I responded. But is there a purpose in your pointing this out? I fail to see how the authorship of the article speaks to its legitimacy.

Altfish

Veteran Member

"...atheism does not benefit the ability to be reasonable"
Priceless, what utter dross. You are really posting a criticism of Stephen Hawkins' work - by someone who can't even spell his first name correctly.

Please stick to your holy books.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

One could also say that a life of comfort & ease will dull the senses & ambition.
Theists are handed their values, meaning, & weltanschuung in a little book.
But atheists....we must discover how things work for ourselves.
Which is easier?
But which is better?

Give that old time heathenism!

questfortruth

Theists are handed their values, meaning, & weltanschuung in a little book.
But atheists....we must discover how things work for ourselves.
often times believers have to use mental gymnastic to maintain belief in spite of reality.

Even atheists can suffer from wishful thinking. See: million dollars are promised for the solution of Riemann Hypothesis. Now ask a theoretical question: "if nobody would notice the weakness point of your proof of the Riemann Hypothesis, is this point acceptable?"

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Even atheists can suffer from wishful thinking. See: million dollars are promised for the solution of Riemann Hypothesis. Now ask a theoretical question: "if nobody would notice the weakness point of your proof of the Riemann Hypothesis, is this point acceptable?"

Yes, atheists are also susceptible to wishful thinking. But with organised religion, that type of thinking is at the core of the belief.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Atheism doesn't benefit anything. In my case, it's simply just waiting to believe in a god until I have enough evidence. I haven't seen any evidence convincing enough, so until I do, I'm still an atheist.

That said, I still may join a religion at some point down the line. Why would my status as an atheist effect that?

Audie

Veteran Member

Here is what seems.

Thar if you actually are on a quest for truth,
you are 180 degrees off course.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It might comfort people for awhile anyways.